Warning Alot Of Text! 17years Old In Need Of Help

Anders Persson

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm just gonna put all the cards on the table, long text beware.

Basically last year in about October when I was 16 years old - I did for the first time in my life cut my hair short and started using hair styling products for the first time. I basically went from a routine of shampooing/washing my longer hair about 1-2 times a week and putting a hat on each day to Shampooing it every day, sometimes twice and using hair styling products like gel and wax every day also combing it alot, hard when wet. Rubbing my hair with towel to dry it I basically did anything in my power to wash and dry out/style my hair during a 10 minute timespan before I had to run to the schoolbus because I didn't manage to get up earlier, lazy ***. I later heard from a buddy of mine that it was bad shampooing it that often so I stopped and washed it about 3-5 times a week instead. During this time (November 2016) I went through severe weight loss and my father got really concerned asking if I had anorexia or something, I was also extremely stressed at the moment because of school friends and extortion. I later in late december gained weight again but during December 2016 to mid february 2017 I went through one of the worst periods of my life. I started eating less, sometimes only one meal a day, badly, I lost my girlfriend and a family member, fighting every day at home going through enormous stress, my gym membership also went out in january and never trained since which im not used to. And during this time I noticed TONS of shedding everyday, I could pick around 30 hair strands everyday from the shower just by going through the hair with my fingers, Since then I've watched my scalp everyday.

During late mars till now the shedding in the showers has pretty much completely stopped and after doing some research before I felt like it was obvious that it wasnt male pattern baldness, but instead both Traction Alospecia (Because of how I suddenly treated my hair differently) and Telogen Effluvium (Because of the stress, weightloss and depression). I was also extremely stressed at this time because of the hairloss which made it even worse.

However now that it's been 5-7 months since this stress/ depression was over with, I haven't Noticed any regrowth really, rather the opposite slightly. which has me scared because im starting to think I have male pattern baldness that just happened to kick in right at that weird timing of stress, depression, weightloss and me starting to care for my hair completely differently. I also noticed my one year older brother has had some thinning (although that might be because he's been coloring his hair several times recently). On my fathers side there are lots of balding men, but it usually started in their 30's, barely any on my mothers side and I've been told my hair looks more like its from my mothers side (Beause it's darker)

I've been planning on going to a derm but there is none close to me and I dont have that much money right now.

The worst part is that I literally just started fixing my hair under a year ago for the first time after wearing hats and not caring much for it. I really hope I can be able to enjoy my hair for at least a couple of years before I have to go through the balding thing like any normal person. Not having it taken away from me after a couple of months of enjoying it

so I got a whole lot of pictures coming your way.
The first 2 ones is from before all of this happened, around exactly a year ago.

Then there are 4 pictures of my hair soaking wet, showing off the hairline. The fourth one of these is about a month old and it's basically my scalp under extreme light conditions when parted different directions, the worst I can possibly make my scalp look.

Then there are 10 pictures when my hair has been dried up, different angles

Then there are like 4 pictures of my hair when styled, last one when gel dried up

And last but not least 2 pictures of my hair during good hair days during the past 2 months. No hair products, although I had been swimming in the ocean which I guess makes your hair look better or something.

With that said, keep in mind I've always had a high hairline, if it has been receding it's not by more than 0.5cm. Or like a 5th of an inch for my fellow Americans.

On my fathers side, he and my grandpa and my grandpas brother are all bald, NW6-7. It started happening my father around 26 years of age and grandpa / his brother at mid 30.
On my mother's side my grandpa began balding at around 45-50 and my mother's brother still has hair, about NW2.5. A little thin.

I'm scared to cut my hair because of what I might see and I'm really thinking about getting on Finansteride. Scared about the risks though and people tell me I'm too young for it.

By the way, it's pretty hard to feel difference in thickness between top and sides, it's almost the same at least. I think back feels slightly thicker but not by much at all.

Another thing that bothers me is that after a while of having hair products in, when the hair gets oily it can look pretty bad when you put the hair apart like in the 13th picture

Going bald is something I'm relatively comfortable with to be honest. Wouldn't mind losing it, The only issue is that it's happening way too soon (starting at 16 if it actually is male pattern baldness) im in a school where there are alot of bullies and I just don't want to be the one ugly duck for the next 2 years I'm going to spend there. At an age where it's a bit more normal I'd be comfortable losing my hair (around 25).

If you've come this far, thank you for reading :)

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man, i did not read all of your post and i dont think anyone will. Judging by your photos you have some minor recession at the hairline and maybe some diffuse thinning. Has your hair always been fine/thin? Have you noticed a decrease in density? Your best course of action is to wait til you are 18 and get yourself some finasteride.

Shawna

My Regimen
Reaction score
You have significant diffusion

Your Doctor can get you on finasteride.

Maybe try half dose

Use toppic