VS.

s1nemesis1s

Reaction score
Okay Folks,
Help me understand. What is the difference between folligraft and virtual reality. I am told both use a membrane as well. I was told that folligraft was thicker while virtual reality can be made to look like I am gradually gaining hair back - no shock factor. The difference in the systems is 1000.00 bucks. Also both use glue all over the scalp to attach. I am just wondering if its worth the extra money.

shookwun

Reaction score
Scientific layman terms to make you think you're getting something special.

Strand by Strand, hair matrix :moon:

Hair system, lace, and thin skin. Nothing more to it. Dont get to confused by these mainstream chains. They aint offering anything special.

Noah

Reaction score
Yes, as Shookwun says, they are basically the same. Both are "thinskin" units, ie with bases which are fine translucent plastic, probably with the hair injected in rather than knotted. The same thing can be bought uncut over the Web for about $250. These units can look very good, especially for a less dense "thinning" look, because the artificial scalp is very realistic. They are not usually quite as undetectable as lace at the hairline, although some of the very thin ones can be. They have to be glued, because removing tape from them would tear them. Wearers often do a whole-scalp bond, because if you leave a bit of the base unbonded it makes a weird plastic bag noise if you (or anyone else) touches it, which is a bit of a giveaway. The base is non-breathable, which could be an issue for hot sweaty places or activities. One of these 2 brands may be slightly thicker than the other, but you could only find that out by going to see them. Very unlikely they will be helpful enough to tell you the denier of the base material over the phone. Any decent hairpiece can be made to look like you are balding. That is to do with the density and the shape of the template, rather than the base material.

s1nemesis1s

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have went to several local salons and even a few out of town. I found a place 80 miles away that was very cool. They explained everything to me. They showed me someone coming in and having a folligraft system replaced. I spoke to everyone there. I even went and had coffee with the guy who had his system replaced. He loves it and said they give great service to him every time. While this is not a DIY option, I feel like they can give me the results I want.
Here is my concern – going back into work after 7 years of being bald with a full head of hair again. Should I warn my co-workers to avoid the surprise, should I just show up and be like “ta-da?” I don’t know how to do it. They offered to give me a few pieces that I would wear as my hair grows in lessen the shock – but honestly the people I work with are very observant and will notice that I am gaining hair – not a sensitive bunch of guy (an IT asshat group). I am doing this for myself, but I just have reservations…I mean if it doesn’t work well for me and in 6 months or a year I go slick headed again I just fear all the teasing.
What makes this hard is I grew up a very overweight – I had a lap band installed in 2008 and lost all the weight but, I am still sensitive. I have a form of PTSD from all the teasing as a kid and a young adult over the weight - I was made fun of hourly at school, abused, and even jumped a few times.... So, do I just suck it up and deal with the onslaught or warn them so the jokes can get said, done, and in place?

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Nemesis

If you have found a salon which gives you what you are looking for, I would go for it.

The first appearance with hair if you have been slick bald is a difficult one. I think you could "regrow" your hair with hairpieces of increasing density and size, but it would take a couple of years to do it in a way which wasn't obvious. You would have to be very dedicated to do that.

I have seen people suggesting growing a beard, or getting contact lenses or a tan. I'm afraid I think that's rubbish. If people are taken in by that it's because they want to be - they are just too polite to put you on the spot. I rather think your best choice is just to bite the bullet - tell your colleagues that your wife / girlfriend is insisting you smarten up, and has bought you a make-over session for your birthday / anniversary / Christmas. When you get your piece treat it as a bit of fun; you're not sure whether you like it or whether it's permanent. It will be a one-day wonder and then people will pass on to the next thing.

shookwun

Reaction score
Hey man, no other choice but to bite the bullet.

Everyone will know, but they will quickly forget and move on with their own lives.

s1nemesis1s

Reaction score
Thanks folks. That was kind of the answer I was really looking for - I just wanted to hear it from others, makes the pill easier to take. I have been working on my style as well and have been kicking that up a notch or 10 lol. I am trying to be the best person I can be inside and out. I just know this will be a shock. I have been wearing suits to work which I always get asked "do you have an interview at lunch?" We are required to wear cargo pants, slacks, etc. (brown is preferable), and a polo. I have really been kicking the style up, even did a pocket square the other day. I am sure I can tie this in as well.

I will say, as I let my hair grown back in for the system I am really shocked at how much I have really lost. It is WAAAY thinner in the back than I thought, I am just shocked. No wonder the doctors have said I would not be a good candidate for transplants, just not enough there. So, I have resigned myself....at 32.....to knowing I need a system, live with a "picard," or shave it all. I am going to try this system out - I am hoping its as great as I have been told. I have since had coffee with another person who has a system from this salon and its nothing but positives. I hear things like, "I got my life back," "They will fit you in no matter what(then a story or two of how they had to change appointments at the last minute)," or they really want to make it work for you - going grey stories and how they either blended it or use color to mask it. I am hoping for the best - I am going back with longer hair hopefully, I don't want a short cut. I will of course post pictures.

zefet

Reaction score
itching hair system

Hello there, i'm new to this, i have had my hair system for almost 4 days now it's itching me like crazy, can you please tell me what to do..

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Zefet, welcome. Can you give us a bit more information? What kind of base does your system have, and what kind of adhesive are you using? Have you tried taking it off to see what is going on? Did you shave the area under the system, and if so what did you use to shave?

The most likely problem is that your skin is sensitive and irritated by the glue you are using. Usually you can cure that by changing the adhesive, or using a scalp protector (an invisible barrier cream which you apply between your scalp and the glue).

zefet

Reaction score
Thank you so much dear Noah for the fast reply, the system that i'm using is lace base, and i think the glue is called no tape, i haven't taken it off yet as it just been a few days, and yes under it is completely shaved i think that is what causing it to itch, i'm not sure yet, it just feels uncomfortable..

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Zefet

It sounds like you may have an allergic reaction to the adhesive. Sometimes that just happens, and the answer is just to change the adhesive. If you shaved with a wet razor that can create minute cuts in your scalp, which can make the problem worse. Don't ignore it. Take the system off if you can, or go back to your supplier and get them to take it off. If necessary get some hydrocortisone cream to stop the irritation. Think of using a scalp protector between your scalp and the adhesive. Let me know how you get on.

noah

s1nemesis1s

Reaction score
UPDATE 3/30/2016

So what is left of my hair has been growing out the past month or so. I go in for the final measurements and color matching on the 8th of April and should have my system placed on the 20th (my birthday by the way).

I am getting VERY self-conscience about having to grow my hair out, I usually just shave my head. I have not seen this hair in 7 almost 8 years and it really makes me realize how much I have lost. I have great coverage around the sides, a decent amount in the back, but the top is so, so, so thin - it makes me feel 100 years old. It is taking everything I have to not shave it all off. I know it need to grow out for the system and the hairstyle I want but it brings up so many bad feelings. I really hope this system lives up to 1/2 - 3/4 the hype... I was on a great weight loss kick but the blow to my self-esteem has lead me to some bad food choices as well. I did not realize how closely my hair loss was related to my self-esteem...I just want the system or just to shave it all off. :(

chipper82

Reaction score
Hi nemesis, I am in the same boat as you, my system should be ready at the beginning of May and I've been growing my hair since January. I look like total crap right now and like you I keep getting tempted to get the clippers out! Just gotta stick with it though, I have a night out with work colleagues coming up and I am dreading it!

s1nemesis1s

Reaction score
Hi nemesis, I am in the same boat as you, my system should be ready at the beginning of May and I've been growing my hair since January. I look like total crap right now and like you I keep getting tempted to get the clippers out! Just gotta stick with it though, I have a night out with work colleagues coming up and I am dreading it!

WOW,
You have been waiting longer than I, its rough isn't! I have been growing mine since the middle of Feb, taking all kinds of vitamins and Biotin as well to get it to grow faster - which it has, but jeez, I look horrible lol. I am just waiting for the 20th of April...I hope this is the right choice. I have been wearing hats alot recently just to help me feel better, but when I have to take it off, its so draining. I feel your pain though - we will make it and hopefully be very satisfied. I have already had the "talk," with all my co-workers about what I am doing, well at least those in my dept, so I don't show up with a full head of hair and take the brunt of jokes then - they were receptive but these dudes can be evil so time will tell. I just feel so old with this pattern of hair...I am trying to focus on my body and when I get off tonight at 9pm I think I will go home and work out, then workout first thing like usual tomorrow. Maybe if I focus on the body my mind will clear a bit. I have a lapband and got down to a super low weight, Doctor didn't like that so he unfilled it and I got up to 240 (started at 425). I am down to 206 now and trying to get to 170 at this point. Hoping that will work out well enough. I am going to try and focus on that - my weight. I am also on my last pack of smokes and will be quitting starting tomorrow with patches...so much going on but I know I will be a better person for all of it.:crazy:

Epicneiltime

Reaction score
Hang in there!

Hey nemesis,
Hang in there buddy! You're almost there... Just a few small steps until your transformation is complete!
I'm in the same boat. 32 and the hair has been gone for years. Growing that first bit out again can be tough, but when you have your new system on it'll turn the page on this dilemma.
Happy early birthday and I hope the system is everything you've dreamed of.
Cheers

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
WOW,
You have been waiting longer than I, its rough isn't! I have been growing mine since the middle of Feb, taking all kinds of vitamins and Biotin as well to get it to grow faster - which it has, but jeez, I look horrible lol. I am just waiting for the 20th of April...I hope this is the right choice. I have been wearing hats alot recently just to help me feel better, but when I have to take it off, its so draining. I feel your pain though - we will make it and hopefully be very satisfied. I have already had the "talk," with all my co-workers about what I am doing, well at least those in my dept, so I don't show up with a full head of hair and take the brunt of jokes then - they were receptive but these dudes can be evil so time will tell. I just feel so old with this pattern of hair...I am trying to focus on my body and when I get off tonight at 9pm I think I will go home and work out, then workout first thing like usual tomorrow. Maybe if I focus on the body my mind will clear a bit. I have a lapband and got down to a super low weight, Doctor didn't like that so he unfilled it and I got up to 240 (started at 425). I am down to 206 now and trying to get to 170 at this point. Hoping that will work out well enough. I am going to try and focus on that - my weight. I am also on my last pack of smokes and will be quitting starting tomorrow with patches...so much going on but I know I will be a better person for all of it.:crazy:

You're a damn champion brother and we are all routing for you!! Good luck! :woot: