Vitamin D - Good or bad?

youngster

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I believe I have some vitamin D deficiency and therefore take a vitamin D3 + calcium supplement. For the sake of it, I googled vitamin D and hair loss, to see if it could be a contributing factor. I saw some articles that mentioned that a lack of vitamin D could contribute to hair loss, however I also saw people who reported increased libido and plenty of sources (especially muscle-building websites) claim vitamin D increases testosterone. This made me wonder, can an increase of vitamin D be good or bad?

vika

Reaction score
You should talk with your doctor about it. He/she can test you. If you truly have a deficiency it will help you to return to a normal level of vitamin D. If you dont have deficiency you probably shouldnt take it.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
for male pattern baldness it doesn't matter. Hairloss does not equal male pattern baldness

Reaction score
taking supplements for male pattern baldness is like getting a flu shot and expecting it to stop the common cold

I was thinking more of the effects of stress or seb derm making it speed up

maxou

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
But being vitamin deficient can worsen male pattern baldness

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
But being vitamin deficient can worsen male pattern baldness
Being vitamin deficient is bad for your general health, but it doesn't make any difference to male pattern baldness. Vitamin deficiency and male pattern baldness have nothing to do with each other.

maxou

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Being vitamin deficient is bad for your general health, but it doesn't make any difference to male pattern baldness. Vitamin deficiency and male pattern baldness have nothing to do with each other.

Prove me the opposit...

I still think vitamin deficiency can trigger male pattern baldness

No one really knows when male pattern baldness occurs why it can disappear for years then come back. I'm pretty sure it has to do with external factors and general health (if the male pattern baldness genes are there)

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Prove me the opposit...

I still think vitamin deficiency can trigger male pattern baldness

No one really knows when male pattern baldness occurs why it can disappear for years then come back. I'm pretty sure it has to do with external factors and general health (if the male pattern baldness genes are there)
There is an abundance of evidence showing that male pattern baldness is entirely genetic in origin. If the male pattern baldness genes are there, your natural destiny is that you will lose your hair at whatever age and rate that is programmed by those genes. Your "natural hair loss destiny" was already decided from the moment you became a one-celled embryo. Taking vitamin supplements does nothing to interfere with whatever your natural hair loss destiny is. Neither does taking measures to improve your "general health", such as eating healthily and exercising regularly. This has been proven time and time again, and is now an established fact. You cannot fight nature with nature. Trying to do so just doesn't work.

It is very rare for male pattern baldness to naturally disappear and then reappear in an individual as you have described. male pattern baldness is a progressively worsening condition. Once the disease kicks in, it will only get progressively worse and worse if left untreated.

maxou

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There is an abundance of evidence showing that male pattern baldness is entirely genetic in origin. If the male pattern baldness genes are there, your natural destiny is that you will lose your hair at whatever age and rate that is programmed by those genes. Your "natural hair loss destiny" was already decided from the moment you became a one-celled embryo. Taking vitamin supplements does nothing to interfere with whatever your natural hair loss destiny is. Neither does taking measures to improve your "general health", such as eating healthily and exercising regularly. This has been proven time and time again, and is now an established fact. You cannot fight nature with nature. Trying to do so just doesn't work.

It is very rare for male pattern baldness to naturally disappear and then reappear in an individual as you have described. male pattern baldness is a progressively worsening condition. Once the disease kicks in, it will only get progressively worse and worse if left untreated.

I still disagree

I agree that in any case if you have male pattern baldness you will go bald. I agree that you can't fight male pattern baldness with vitamins (I'm on dutasteride).

But my male pattern baldness was dormant for years, and suddenly came back agressively after going through stress and other external factors and nutricinal imabalances.

You can have male pattern baldness and have Telogen Effluvium at the same time (triggered by the external factors). In that case you most probably wont recover from the Telogen Effluvium and therefore the Telogen Effluvium will worsen the male pattern baldness.

That's my opinion.

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The point that I'm trying to make is that if you have the male pattern baldness genes, you will inevitably suffer from male pattern baldness at whatever point in your life is decided by those genes, regardless of whatever stresses you may go through during your life or whatever nutritional deficiencies you may have. If it is in your genes, male pattern baldness is guaranteed to strike. To believe that this disease can somehow become triggered by stress, nutritional deficiency or some other non-genetic factor is incorrect. The only non-genetic thing that might perhaps "trigger" male pattern baldness at an earlier age than what nature intended in a genetically-prone individual might be the use of certain anabolic steroids or other powerful synthetic substances that are designed to cause a significant increase in the amount of DHT in your body. Things such as stress and nutrition, however, have no significant effect on DHT levels.

Gold Top

Reaction score
I've been taking 200% RDA of Vitamin D and 100% RDA of Calcium for 2 years and haven't really noticed any new hair growth, though things haven't got any worse either.