Visit #2 with Vera Price and Some Success

totaldispHAIR

Established Member
Reaction score
So, I had my second visit with Dr. Price today at UCSF medical center. My first one was 2 months ago and I had posted back then to give the scoop on what happened.

At that last visit, Dr. Price asked me to start collecting my shed once every two weeks on a non-shampoo day. So, the first thing we did today was look at the samples I collected. She was very pleased at what she saw--she said that it is "normal" and not excessive. She said this confirmed her thoughts from last time that I had experienced my hair loss bout, and now what I was noticing was normal shed rates but since I was hypersensitive to it, it seemed like a lot.

She then looked at some alfalfa-like hair stickinig up on top of my head and measured it against a card. She said that a lot of it was re-growth, they were all approx. the same length, and there was very little indication of miniaturization going on.

Finally, she looked at my labs that I did, 3 months after going off birth control and said my hormonal levels looked fine.

I asked her if she still thought it was Androgenetic Alopecia or Telogen Effluvium, and she said Telogen Effluvium, because I have new growth w/o any assisted products, and because there's not excessive miniaturization.

The next step is to see her again in 4 months. At that time, she'll be looking to see if the Telogen Effluvium unmasked any latent genetic thinning that could be treated w/ Rogaine. Sometimes she says that the regrowth doesn't come back in as thick as before, which could be an indicator of this.

So, there are a few major changes I've been working on since my hairloss started that seem to be helping. First off, I've been working on managing stress better through meditation, awareness, and seeing a therapist. I've also been using natural progesterone cream to help my almost non-existent progesterone levels caused by my old bcp. And, I've been eating a lot better, focusing on giving my body the nutrients it needs to stay healthy, and cutting out a lot of the processed, refined crap. I am having more "up" days, occasionally I'll have a really bad shed in the shower and be really bummed, but I'm pushing forward with a lot of hope in my heart that things will get better.

depressed

Reaction score
thanks for sharing...

I really appreciate your sharing the visit with Dr. Price... can't wait to hear about your next visit with her..