Very very interesting new research. Exciting even to me.....

HairLessGR

Reaction score
sure sphlanx. as i see it, we can expect greater results and much sooner with this type of intervention than with any pharmaceutical one.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
So you guys do know you can buy this stuff now...Don't you?

No idea if it takes a medical license or what, but it's available.

scalpt

Reaction score
Right, it's available for veterinarians. I just posted this on another hair loss site:

"LifeCell has a product which has already been used on humans, AlloDerm. It's also made of matrix. Comes from human skin, but have no idea if it has been shown to have hair follicles in the skin it regenerates.

As for Acell, they've already released their material in a veterinary product. Many medical breakthroughs now enjoyed by humans were first used and/or discovered by veterinarians."

avillax

Reaction score
Dogs are known to regrow hair from scar tissue. My dog cut himself and developed a huge scar, and then the scar slowly regenerated hair.

But if you get a scar, the hair does not grow back on the scar. I don't know if you've seen this.

CCS

Reaction score
cutting out that size of an area sounds painful. Even HM requires thousands of needle pokes. Not for guys who don't like needles, I guess.

SkylineGTR

Experienced Member
Reaction score
honestly i don't think it would have any real effect on male pattern baldness. Seeing that the regrowth was back to the previous state. I don't think it means we can scalp ourselves and have a full head of hair again. We still have the DHT amongst other things to combat that pumps through our system. So maybe for the first year or so we might grow hair as its healing then fall back into our old patterns. We'd still need to be on the meds to stop it. It would really have to be tested for quite a few years.

Our genes/hormones would still be in place for us to go bald.

still cool otherwise for healing and regeneration purposes.

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I dont think the idea is to scalp ourselves and then grow back our skin, but to regenerate the donor area which is resistant to DHT.

Lets say i have a donor area that can provide 4,000 grafts. I harvest the grafts then with some way place the medicine. 1 year later i am back in line. Another 4,000 grafts. In 2-3 years i am going to have a full head of hair :)

I have many hopes on this medicine. I wish they start trying it on humans soon! Michael Barry please keep us up2date if you find anything new about this!

CCS

Reaction score
it is hopeful, but it means you'd have to do follicular unit transplants, plus the treatment. It would be very expensive. Probably over $100,000 for a NW6. Probably a lot more.

kharkov2763

Reaction score
Folks, I've skimmed this thread very quickly and I have to say I'm surprised that more of you aren't using your intelligence and Web experience to do some searching on your own.

Tissue engineering has been around for a while now. I believe Scientific American did a cover story on it back in '98 or so. The Spievack story of the re-grown fingertip is amazing--I believe Esquire did a good article on it sometime between June of this year and now--but tissue engineering for hair is rather further along.

And no, any solution isn't going to cost $100K for full baldness. That's just silly. Researchers and companies wouldn't be shooting for near-term government approval if treatments were going to cost that much. The demand would be laughably small, given such a cost.

Try reading this BBC.co.uk article about a possible treatment that's TWO YEARS AWAY from public use. Yes, THE BBC, not some fringy pseudo-news group:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5413382.stm

In sum for those who don't want to read it: a British company, Intercytex, has received a 1.85 million-pound grant (about US$3.7 million) from the British government to develop an automated device that would grow hair follicles. Doctors would take hair follicle cells from the back of a patient's neck, allow them to multiply in the automated device for a few weeks, and then use a very fine needle to inject the cells under the skin of the scalp.

The article was written about a year ago: Oct. 6, 2006. The 2006 article quoted the CEO of Intercytex as saying the treatment could be available in about three years--that's two years from today--to the general public.

Here's the company's Web site:

http://www.intercytex.com/

Furthermore, a UPenn dermatological researcher named Dr. George Cotsarelis has discovered a method for creating new hair follicles in mice and has formed a company, Follica, to bring the technique into use with humans with hair loss.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/71178.php
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=10239452
http://www.sciencefriday.com/news/05180 ... 18071.html
http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/news/News_Rel ... mclwnd.htm

Dr. Elaine Fuchs of Rockefeller University is working on the same issue and if I remember correctly is credited with discovering that a specialized type of stem cell, a progenitor cell, can be induced to create a new hair follicle. I believe Discover Magazine at the end of 2004 had a review of significant developments in science and listed her work. Their quote (I'm going from memory) was something like "A permanent solution to hair loss may be imminent."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elaine_Fuchs
http://www.rockefeller.edu/labheads/fuchs/intro.php

Two other stem cell efforts:
http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/news/2004/09/64833
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.0 ... topic_set=

I'm sure you can find other efforts underway if you Google hard enough. Key words might include "hair", "follicle", "tissue engineering", "stem cell", "progenitor cell" and so on. Read some of the articles I've provided links to for more names and concepts to search out.

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you should take some time and read older threads on this forums. Most articles you posted have gone under heavy discussion on this forum.

In this thread we are talking about the VERY SPECIFIC case of this treatment and its potential use in hair transplants or hair regrowth in general.

Intercytex and its goverment foundings is probably one of the most heavily discussed topics on the research and HM forums on HairLossTalk.com.

DP

Reaction score
yea but the problem is that there is never follow up ... these great findings come out and i understand it takes a painfully long time to develop a treatment or even perhaps a cure from breakthrough research but it would be nice if [u]the publishers [/u]of these hair loss sites actually check in with these guys from time to time; interview them, get some insight from the actual Doctors and Scientists working on a treatment/cure... the media reports on a big breakthrough and that's it - silence for at least a year or more.

Everyone on this site comes up with their own theories into what actually causes hair loss and what kind of product will successfully halt loss or regrow hair. There are some very smart and/or well-informed hair loss experts here. Unfortunately, unless someone is secretly working on a cure or treatment, it's useless. No offense, of course.

I want to hear from the guys that are working on this research from 9-5. I am not looking for a false sense of hope but at least some real insight from the experts. HairLossTalk.com, whoever else works on this site - what do you think?

SkylineGTR

Experienced Member
Reaction score
DP said:
yea but the problem is that there is never follow up ... these great findings come out and i understand it takes a painfully long time to develop a treatment or even perhaps a cure from breakthrough research but it would be nice if [u]the publishers [/u]of these hair loss sites actually check in with these guys from time to time; interview them, get some insight from the actual Doctors and Scientists working on a treatment/cure... the media reports on a big breakthrough and that's it - silence for at least a year or more.

Everyone on this site comes up with their own theories into what actually causes hair loss and what kind of product will successfully halt loss or regrow hair. There are some very smart and/or well-informed hair loss experts here. Unfortunately, unless someone is secretly working on a cure or treatment, it's useless. No offense, of course.

I want to hear from the guys that are working on this research from 9-5. I am not looking for a false sense of hope but at least some real insight from the experts. HairLossTalk.com, whoever else works on this site - what do you think?

Aye that would be nice to hear from these people .. but most of the tests are kept under lock and key until press releases or trials are done and published.

Intercytex just released their latest update that has been posted here.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=41182&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=

Can't stir up a pot that would pull potential investors.

first

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up here, the acell matrix is available for purchase (provided that you are a vet).

It is extremely potent. As it can regrow entire limbs, with hair and all, it stands to reason it would be able to regrow only hair (if you scar it first) without much trouble. It should work as well as follica.

Jkkezh

Established Member
Reaction score
first said:
Just a heads up here, the acell matrix is available for purchase (provided that you are a vet).

It is extremely potent. As it can regrow entire limbs, with hair and all, it stands to reason it would be able to regrow only hair (if you scar it first) without much trouble. It should work as well as follica.

Good news, any bald vets out here!?

Established Member
Reaction score
so has anyone emailed the company in regards to getting their thoughts on regenerating hair for male pattern baldness sufferers??

FollicaLover

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm Mark from Spain (sorry for my english) and I've been reading this forum from a long time ago, but never posted. Well, hello everybody, pleased to meet you :)

Well, my question in this thread is, does anyone know has this thing of Acell ever been tested in humans? If not (I thing the answer is no), we are in the same stage (or even before) than Follica, isn't it?

ITNEVERRAINS

Established Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't technology like this hurt pockets of hospitals, doctors, rehab clinics, psychiatrists, etc... probably won't ever be available to public b/c of this. To think, "dammit, cut my leg off, where's my frickin acell, I'm playing golf next weekend."

chancer

Established Member
Reaction score
ITNEVERRAINS said:
Wouldn't technology like this hurt pockets of hospitals, doctors, rehab clinics, psychiatrists, etc... probably won't ever be available to public b/c of this. To think, "dammit, cut my leg off, where's my frickin acell, I'm playing golf next weekend."
Lol...

i think thats an extreme view... but the comedy there was gold...