Very Long Hair On A Full Cap Hair System

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys, i have dupa and i will order a full cap lace system very soon (french lace).

Is it possible to have long hair like this? :

vf6k.jpg

vf6k.jpg

Hair that long will be very forgiving for a full cap system. Less worry about hairline, less worry about nape area, less worry about system being detected by touch.

What do you think? Do you think hair this long can impact negatively the longevity of the system?

Noah

Reaction score
You mean there will be so much hair that women will never get to your scalp LOL? Good plan.

Seriously, that should work, but that amount and density of hair will be heavy. You might be better with a monofilament base with just a lace hairline, to cope with the weight.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with Noah... the look is great... but just a couple of things to consider.

1. This will be a custom system, so plan on paying extra for the length (anything over 6") and understand to get that length, you will need to order a couple of inches longer, so it can be cut. When you order a system, the hair is not guaranteed to be 100% of the length you order. You will need to verify this with your supplier.

2. Hair systems are meant to LOOK like real hair, not necessarily to FEEL like it. There is no guarantee that someone putting their hands through your hair won't feel the base, and any hair shed is not coming back.

3. The longer the hair, the easier it will tangle, and shed. My long hair systems lasted a couple of months... my short hair... a very long time.

4. If you order and receive your first system, and it works for you, I would IMMEDIATLEY order two more... given production times now.

5. Cost. The cost for special orders have increased more than stock or standard-sized custom. I can tell you that for something like this,, full cap, my price has more than doubled (but there is a slight discount for monofilament). You are looking at a potentially $700 minimum per system, not including shipping.

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your response, it's very helpful.

Well, apparently there are too many cons with hair this long, i will just go for mi-long hair (around 3-4 inches), it looks much simpler to do, less costly and the undectability is still very good.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your response, it's very helpful.

Well, apparently there are too many cons with hair this long, i will just go for mi-long hair (around 3-4 inches), it looks much simpler to do, less costly and the undectability is still very good.

As long as you are planning on a style that covers nape, hairline, etc. The cost will come down, somewhat... maybe $100 less for a standard length. You are still looking at 12-14 weeks delivery from date that the factory gets your template.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wish I looked good w/ long hair because it'd be so much easier I feel. Black women wear front lace wigs, which, at the price we pay for units, are infinitely more sophisticated than toupees. They come w/ preplucked, natural hairlines, etc. They're easy to deal w/, as only the front needs to be bonded.

I don't see why a full cap would be that bad. You could just buzz/shave all your hair, and get a standard 8x10...It'd be lighter, wearable out of the box & require no blending...

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wish I looked good w/ long hair because it'd be so much easier I feel. Black women wear front lace wigs, which, at the price we pay for units, are infinitely more sophisticated than toupees. They come w/ preplucked, natural hairlines, etc. They're easy to deal w/, as only the front needs to be bonded.

I don't see why a full cap would be that bad. You could just buzz/shave all your hair, and get a standard 8x10...It'd be lighter, wearable out of the box & require no blending...

Yes but units used by black women are monofilament (with lace at the hair line). Monofilament is very heavy, hot and itchy. It is very uncomfortable.

I am looking for a French lace full cap, and very long hair is too heavy for this type of base. So i will just go for a hair style like this:

3aam.jpg

odzt.jpg

fyr5.jpg

These hair styles seem very forgiving for maintenance and detectability for full cap. And since i am 21 years old, it's perfect

Last edited:

Noah

Reaction score
Those shaggy styles do look good, and will be easy to create with a full cap. Just be aware that in terms of detectability there are a couple of areas where full caps are less good that a standard blended-in hair system (toupee). In particular (1) the temple and sideburns area is hard to recreate with a full cap, because the hair in natural temples and sideburns is normally very fine and growing out at an acute angle. If you try to recreate that with a hairpiece, the base would show. So on full caps that feature is just left long and covered up, as in your pictures. And (2) the nape of the neck is difficult, because there the hairpiece is stuck to flexible muscle which stretches and changes shape whenever you move your head, rather than to a hard bony area.

Using a shaggy style you can get a look which is undetectable, but if anyone is running their fingers through your hair at the sides or the nape, there is a good chance they will be able to feel that it's a hairpiece. If you have viable hair in those two areas, a way around that would be to keep your natural hair in those areas and design your hair replacement to cover everything else. That will greatly improve detectability to touch, but it does mean you can't take the piece off without looking rather odd.

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Those shaggy styles do look good, and will be easy to create with a full cap. Just be aware that in terms of detectability there are a couple of areas where full caps are less good that a standard blended-in hair system (toupee). In particular (1) the temple and sideburns area is hard to recreate with a full cap, because the hair in natural temples and sideburns is normally very fine and growing out at an acute angle. If you try to recreate that with a hairpiece, the base would show. So on full caps that feature is just left long and covered up, as in your pictures. And (2) the nape of the neck is difficult, because there the hairpiece is stuck to flexible muscle which stretches and changes shape whenever you move your head, rather than to a hard bony area.

Using a shaggy style you can get a look which is undetectable, but if anyone is running their fingers through your hair at the sides or the nape, there is a good chance they will be able to feel that it's a hairpiece. If you have viable hair in those two areas, a way around that would be to keep your natural hair in those areas and design your hair replacement to cover everything else. That will greatly improve detectability to touch, but it does mean you can't take the piece off without looking rather odd.

Thanks for your response!

It's very helpful

After what you said, i don't know what to do, i don't know of if i will go for an hair system, since the idea of being caught is an absolutely nightmare for me..

Oh and i have not enough hair at the sides and at the back (i have dupa), that's why i wanted to go for a full cap. But after what you said on the dectability to touch, i am a little reluctant.

I prefer to be a ugly bald man (iam really ugly without hair) than being caught wearing a wig, 100%

Last edited:

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Noah knows best but my advice, as your nick name says, stay positive. You have a very good reason to wear a hair replacement system ( as opposed to a wig..) if you get caught, you have a valid medical reason to justify wearing. I can't imagine people ridiculing someone for wearing , for loss of hair during chemotherapy for instance...it's 2020...and real men shouldn't be afraid of wearing...

Noah

Reaction score
StayPositive, if undetectability to the touch is one of your requirements, then I don't think a full cap is the best solution for you. Would you consider going the other direction, and having a topper with a severe undercut - something like this?
7A53C36B-84A4-4624-9005-62919AB5BF7A-4936-00000653E5021DC7.jpg
This photo is not a system; just a random photo off the Web to illustrate the style. But systems like this are easily feasible and can look very realistic, as well as sharp and fashionable. The sides (which are your natural hair of course) can either be shaved to zero as in this picture, or left a little longer, depending on the quality of your remaining sidehair. Undetectability to touch is a lot more achievable with this than with a full cap. BaldBearded has (or at least had) a style very like this.

Noah