Very Impressive Dermarolling And Minxodil Results - From Tressless

tressful11

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
8 month daily rolling update

Technique: @chen 's daily mild rolling method
(I also used to hard roll every weekend using 2 mm, but I dropped it around 1 month ago. It was too much pain and there seemed to be no additional benefits. 1mm daily rolling alone seemed to do a good job for me so I dropped weekly hard rolling)

Equipment: 1mm dermaroller - 10 mins daily

Result: If keep my hair short - navy cut (20mm - 30mm length), then nobody can tell I am balding. I had massive diffuse loss similar to @arromanus and my head is filled with tiny hairs now.

My biggest regret so far is getting a hair transplant 2 years ago. The surgeon over harvested my donor and designed a terrible hairline. If I had not got a transplant I could literally room around with short hair and nobody would be able to tell I am balding.
Note - If I grow my hair out long, the balding is apparent because the new vellus hair can only grow to a certain length.

I am too lazy to post progress pictures right now (and also worried about my privacy), but I'll consider posting at 1 year mark.
If you want to get an idea of my progress you can check @arromanus 's before and after pics. My hairloss is very similar.

Edit -
Other medicines that I take are listed below.
minoxidil since 4 years - No major improvement. Hair grew back and then fell out shortly after.

finasteride for 2 years then switched to dutasteride.
dutasteride didn't regrow any hair either. After 1 year of no results on dutasteride, I started the daily rolling regimen this year.

So far, I can confidently conclude that daily rolling has had the most impact on my hair growth. This is personal however. Results my differ for other people.

Last edited:

hidden1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is anybody using Dr Pen Ultima N2-C? Would be this good for start ? At this point I'm using dermaroller with 590 needles 1.5mm length.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is anybody using Dr Pen Ultima N2-C? Would be this good for start ? At this point I'm using dermaroller with 590 needles 1.5mm length.

I think most people use either the derminator 2 or the dr.pen ultima a6, they should be your first choices

Liquidbanana

My Regimen
Reaction score
Greetings again fellas.

It's been a while. I should have posted an update around 2 or 3 months ago, but life got in the way, as it does. Plus trying to take pictures for updates and comparisons at the same angles and precisely the same light conditions is a total b**ch.

I apologize if the tilt and angles of some of these comparison pictures are a bit off. I'm not trying to alter or skew anything. The pictures are what they are and they come out as they do.
Anyway, if you're interested in re reading or perhaps reading for the first time, my original post from July, go here: https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/posts/1817384/

So here goes. There will be 3 different comparison groups. A side by side by side of May 22nd, July 23rd, and today December 18th. A side by side of May 22nd and December 18th. And finally a side by side of July 23rd and December 18th.

The improvement seen in May 22nd to July 23rd is stark, as everyone saw back in July of this year. The improvement from July 23rd to now, is well...you be the judge.

Group 1:
May 22nd, July 23rd, December 18th

20191218_122507.jpg
20191218_122637.jpg
20191218_122832.jpg
20191218_122900.jpg
20191218_122943.jpg

Group 2:
May 22nd and December 18th
20191218_123103.jpg
20191218_123212.jpg
20191218_123342.jpg
20191218_123550.jpg
20191218_123707.jpg

Group 3:
July 23rd and December 18th
20191218_123134.jpg
20191218_123248.jpg
20191218_123421.jpg
20191218_123625.jpg
20191218_123741.jpg

tomJ

My Regimen
Reaction score
Greetings again fellas.

It's been a while. I should have posted an update around 2 or 3 months ago, but life got in the way, as it does. Plus trying to take pictures for updates and comparisons at the same angles and precisely the same light conditions is a total b**ch.

I apologize if the tilt and angles of some of these comparison pictures are a bit off. I'm not trying to alter or skew anything. The pictures are what they are and they come out as they do.
Anyway, if you're interested in re reading or perhaps reading for the first time, my original post from July, go here: https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/posts/1817384/

So here goes. There will be 3 different comparison groups. A side by side by side of May 22nd, July 23rd, and today December 18th. A side by side of May 22nd and December 18th. And finally a side by side of July 23rd and December 18th.

The improvement seen in May 22nd to July 23rd is stark, as everyone saw back in July of this year. The improvement from July 23rd to now, is well...you be the judge.

Group 1:
May 22nd, July 23rd, December 18th

View attachment 134039 View attachment 134040 View attachment 134041 View attachment 134042 View attachment 134043

Group 2:
May 22nd and December 18th
View attachment 134044 View attachment 134045 View attachment 134046 View attachment 134047 View attachment 134048

Group 3:
July 23rd and December 18th
View attachment 134049 View attachment 134050 View attachment 134051 View attachment 134052 View attachment 134053
Sorry man, can you repeat your regemin? Thank you

gotrekt007

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the info here. quick question. i've tried propecia, minoxidiel etc. Propecia helped as it stopped shedding and grew new hair. Was happy until i got side effects a year later. So im not on propecia now

I've decided to stop minoxidil as well and start dermarolling + peppermint + castor oil. Do we apply peppermint + castor oil daily twice a day or just after dermarolling? I plan to dermaroll once a week to start with.

fixthis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
With regards to the follica early stage results being out is 1.5mm weekly still optimal? I've been hearing of shorter depths now.

Liquidbanana

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Liquidbanana solid results so far, although you may just be a very good responder to minoxidil too.

Unlikely. As I am a non responder to Minoxidil. Follow the link in my previous post for my original post from July with my full history. I never experienced any regrowth from Minoxidil alone. There is some sort of synergistic response for some when combining Min and wounding. I can't explain the science behind it, but it's definitely done something in my case.

Now, am I satisfied with the results so far? NO WAY. It still looks terrible. But I'm only what, 7 plus months in? I didn't lose my hair in a years' time, so I suppose I'm not gonna regrow it in a years' time either. Long haul I suppose.

cryingariver

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
ok, so i've been dermarolling (with a pen), with 1.25mm needles. my scalp refuses to turn red (erythema). i come out very sore, yes it does hurt, and in the mornings after when i shower, it is all sore. is there any bloody reason my scalp does not turn red while needling? i feel like i am wasting my time if there is no erythema, since no healing will be done.

newplayer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello people.
First of all, something is wrong with this website's SSL certificate, I cant connect on chrome, but can on firefox. I get this message:
www.hairlosstalk.com normally uses encryption to protect your information. When Google Chrome tried to connect to www.hairlosstalk.com this time, the website sent back unusual and incorrect credentials. This may happen when an attacker is trying to pretend to be www.hairlosstalk.com, or a Wi-Fi sign-in screen has interrupted the connection. Your information is still secure because Google Chrome stopped the connection before any data was exchanged.

On topic, I've added oral minoxidil since around 40 days ago, too early to say something concrete, maybe a subjective feel it is more dense here and there, however, I think it lowered my blood pressure, so I feel kinda tired. :D
I sleep around 6-8 hours, it depends.

Oh well, maybe I'll have to counter it with coke.
LOL

Donny29

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m a first time poster but long time reader.

I had a hair transplant 3 years ago, 1500 FUE grafts to my temples. I had thinning hair on my scalp, I used saw palmetto and finesteride to aid which had good success with. Up until 10 months ago with my crown starting to thin.

8 months ago I decided too skip the saw palmetto and go to minoxidil 5% x 2 a day. After reading about people’s success with derma rolling I thought I would add it to my regime, as my crown had not stopped thinning even on the minoxidil.

Currently iv been dermarolling for about 4 - 6 weeks now, I started out with a .5 and now a 1.5. For the last 3 - 4 weeks iv been shedding ridiculous amount of hair from my crown, noticeably in the shower when rubbing my hands through it, there’s healthy hairs and diffused hairs that are shedding, no where else on my head.

When dermarolling I focus on my crown but do the entire scalp, I also apply minoxidil straight afterwards, I have been dermarolling once a week.

Has anyone else had an experience with shedding like this with dermarolling? I’m not sure wether this is a good or a bad thing.

GrowPro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m a first time poster but long time reader.

I had a hair transplant 3 years ago, 1500 FUE grafts to my temples. I had thinning hair on my scalp, I used saw palmetto and finesteride to aid which had good success with. Up until 10 months ago with my crown starting to thin.

8 months ago I decided too skip the saw palmetto and go to minoxidil 5% x 2 a day. After reading about people’s success with derma rolling I thought I would add it to my regime, as my crown had not stopped thinning even on the minoxidil.

Currently iv been dermarolling for about 4 - 6 weeks now, I started out with a .5 and now a 1.5. For the last 3 - 4 weeks iv been shedding ridiculous amount of hair from my crown, noticeably in the shower when rubbing my hands through it, there’s healthy hairs and diffused hairs that are shedding, no where else on my head.

When dermarolling I focus on my crown but do the entire scalp, I also apply minoxidil straight afterwards, I have been dermarolling once a week.

Has anyone else had an experience with shedding like this with dermarolling? I’m not sure wether this is a good or a bad thing.

Yes, shedding is normal, it’s a sign of the follicles pushing out the old possibly miniaturizing hairs because new ones are beginning to grow, I also shed bad from my crown when I started and it lasted a few weeks and looked worse than before I started microneedling & minoxidil....but better new hairs grew, don’t stress and just wait it out but continue your routine.

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes but it is proven minoxidil does NOT go systemic.

Is this true? Can you give a source on that?

Minoxidil wasn’t perused as an anti fibrosing agent. It didn’t display significant collagen degradation in vivo. An agent that could prevent or severely diminish scaring would be bigger than HairLoss, but it didn’t fit the bill. Also if you followed the in vitro studies, the inhibiting effects reversed rapidly after discontinuation. Honestly I wish this myth with Go away.

Are you talking there about AR inhibition?

Well according to Follica density is the difference maker, and there is no tipping point, it works after one session if done correctly.

The fact that it works after one session if it will work at all is useful info, if we can be confident in it.

So, if microneedling works by creating new follicles exclusively, as opposed to also stimulating existing dormant follicles (does it?), then we can have a time table for when a given mode of needling should show results, if it will, so that we can know that if we first needled on date x and there are no results on x+whatever time, you need to switch up your frequency/depth/density.

In fact, if one session is enough, the prudent thing to do would be to vary your depth/density day to day, so that you cover all your bases.

Last edited:

dm900

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is this true? Can you give a source on that?

Are you talking there about AR inhibition?

The fact that it works after one session if it will work at all is useful info, if we can be confident in it.

So, if microneedling works by creating new follicles exclusively, as opposed to also stimulating existing dormant follicles (does it?), then we can have a time table for when a given mode of needling should show results, if it will, so that we can know that if we first needled on date x and there are no results on x+whatever time, you need to switch up your frequency/depth/density.

In fact, if one session is enough, the prudent thing to do would be to vary your depth/density day to day, so that you cover all your bases.
No i'm talking about minoxidil and skin. It was proposed as an anti fibrosing agent but subsequently dropped because it didnt show a significant effect.