Very Impressive Dermarolling And Minxodil Results - From Tressless

FinCandy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have yet to see any picture evidence of people's hairline getting worse from needling.

any pictures?

I didn't take proper comparison pictures because I was not expecting the thinning. Here is a picture right after dermarolling, and another one a couple days after. I know it looks like I have no hairloss but I am recessing on my temples, which you can't see properly in these pics, with some density loss in hairline even before dermarolling. I am currently 8 months into finasteride only and it basically stopped my shedding.

Dermaroll Before - Copy - Copy.jpg Dermaroll After - Copy - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

JJL58

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ya but before dermarolling even when it was oilyish and curly you couldnt see my scalp.

Give the hair 5 - 7 days to recover. Right after needling my scalp "looks" thinner as well but regenerates in the long run

FinCandy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Give the hair 5 - 7 days to recover. Right after needling my scalp "looks" thinner as well but regenerates in the long run

That is what I am hoping for. I am going to take a break from dermarolling my scalp though and just continue with dermarolling my beard with minoxidil to see if that works first. I actually have alopecia areata aswell which is an autoimmune disease which is inflammatory. And based on what people have posted and i've read, having pre-existing inflammation and dermarolling could make hair worse.

By the way why does it look thinner? Is it because of shedding or somehow dermarolling decreases the thickness of the hair shaft?

jccj

My Regimen
Reaction score
How painful is using 1,5 mm needles?

I'm waiting for my Dr Pen and have only used 1 mm dermaroller so far. I didn't feel any pain and there were no red spots. Maybe I'm not pressing hard enough?

Probably depends on tolerance and the needle count of your cartridges. I'm using the 12s and its pretty painful when doing it but subsides quickly when done.

ZidaneBaldGod

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's that time again.
It's photo time!

Just as a refresher.

Month 1:
20190303_141843.jpg

Month 2:
20190303_134403.jpg

And now:
Month 3:
20190414_180855.jpg
20190414_180841.jpg
20190414_180002.jpg
20190414_175636.jpg
20190414_175309.jpg
20190414_175231.jpg

I tried to take as many shots as possible and in different light conditions.
My hair WAS cut, and now the lenght is just a bit longer than Month 1 lenght.

I don't think i got any improvement, however you guys have a better eye than me so maybe you can tell better.
However, you can tell that i'm getting some maintenance with this method.

What has changed:
1) I see some little micro vellus near my hairline, pretty sure they were not there before. This could mean i'm improving or getting worse, but i have no clue.
2) Sebum is gone. Completely. I don't even need to shampoo anymore.
3) I can't seem to notice any shedding anymore.
4) Flaking is not gone, i'm also starting to shed skin, a sign that the damaged skin from the needling is regenerating.

Tbh the fact that i completely defeated sebum already makes needling totally worth it for me.

tressful11

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What has changed:
1) I see some little micro vellus near my hairline, pretty sure they were not there before. This could mean i'm improving or getting worse, but i have no clue.
2) Sebum is gone. Completely. I don't even need to shampoo anymore.
3) I can't seem to notice any shedding anymore.
4) Flaking is not gone, i'm also starting to shed skin, a sign that the damaged skin from the needling is regenerating.

Tbh the fact that i completely defeated sebum already makes needling totally worth it for me.

Well, I'll be honest. I don't see any significant difference between month 1 and 3. Your hairloss pattern seems similar to mine and I don't have any significant improvement either. Just some very minor density improvement maybe.
But if your scalp health is getting better then I guess in the long term results will start to show. Some of us gotta wait. I am in the same boat. Scared but still hope it works.

ZidaneBaldGod

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, I'll be honest. I don't see any significant difference between month 1 and 3. Your hairloss pattern seems similar to mine and I don't have any significant improvement either. Just some very minor density improvement maybe.
But if your scalp health is getting better then I guess in the long term results will start to show. Some of us gotta wait. I am in the same boat. Scared but still hope it works.

I already rock a shaved head, i only grew it
for the purpose of this experiment.
To me, maintenance and sebum removal is already a victory.

I'll probably continue with the needling for life, just for the sebum. So if i get any regrowth at month 6, i'll make sure to update you guys.

My hair is super healthy, and in dim light it looks darker. So this IS doing something, i'm actually surprised that the photos didn't show any noticeable regrowth cuz my hair DOES looks better from an health standpoint.

j4r0d

Reaction score
I didn't take proper comparison pictures because I was not expecting the thinning. Here is a picture right after dermarolling, and another one a couple days after. I know it looks like I have no hairloss but I am recessing on my temples, which you can't see properly in these pics, with some density loss in hairline even before dermarolling. I am currently 8 months into finasteride only and it basically stopped my shedding.

View attachment 117168 View attachment 117169

I have exactly the same stuff happening to me. 4 month in, dermaneedling didnt help anything, it made me more diffuse. Haven’t see any regrowth, only few vellus that come and go. It is not successful at all for me.

j4r0d

Reaction score
I’m sure I read something about dermarolling and inflammation, if the inflammation is still occurring, dermarolling can make things worse.

Interesting, can you share a link? I am not a responder to dermaneedling so far (4 month).

FinCandy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have exactly the same stuff happening to me. 4 month in, dermaneedling didnt help anything, it made me more diffuse. Haven’t see any regrowth, only few vellus that come and go. It is not successful at all for me.

Ya honestly im stopping dermarolling bc my hair loss is not bad and I don't want it to get thinner. What I've noticed is that people who had a lot of loss regrew from dermarolling but it might not be beneficial for people who already have a decent amount of hair. Just an observation but I obviously could be wrong.

Interesting, can you share a link? I am not a responder to dermaneedling so far (4 month).

I did some research and the goal of dermarolling is to induce acute inflammation so the body heals the area correctly. When you have chronic/systematic inflammation your body doesn't heal the area you dermarolled properly and that leads to scar tissue/worse hair because that area now has less blood flow and nutrients.

albert

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The fact that wounding isn’t enough for some individuals or in other words, response is very different (from 0 to 100 scale) is the same as with any other treatment for any other condition. Just an example: many people can achieve headache removal with paracetamol, but I can swear it doesn’t do anything for me and I have to take something else. Pain tolerance may be different, or the chemical reacts differently in the body, who knows. But it won’t work for me.

It’s a reminder that all bodies are different. It may be that wounding alone works well for some people, while others need to add minoxidil and some others may need finasteride (this is just an example, not advocating it) to counterattack DHT/inflammation angle further. The fact that it works in one way or another for some people here (me included after so many years of failed attempts) should give hope to everyone so that the whole approach can be fine-tuned for individual needs.

What I’m trying to say is that if it didn’t work as fast or as well like others, then wait and/or try adding something to your regime. But don’t give up, as this is very worthy.

Balding curse

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This the second week of needling I use a dermal pen, I have a very excessive sebum, and I have tried anything nothing works at all, now my scalp looks very good no sebum at all.
I will stick with it for one month and see what's going to happen.

Boxer

My Regimen
Reaction score
For guys in the UK....where did you guys get your Dr Pen from? Looking to upgrade from my cheap pen (as its not very good) and Amazon just seems to have loads of fake ones? Not spending £80-120 on a replica.
I'm interested to hear any responses that others have to your question, as I'm currently in the same position as you.

HairOnTheEdge

My Regimen
Reaction score
How do you know if you have chronic systemic inflammation? Is it something you would know or could you have it without knowing?