Very Impressive Dermarolling And Minxodil Results - From Tressless

dermaroller666

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I'm a longtime lurker who has rarely ever posted, I think the only reason I did was for the Brotzu discord, but I won't get into that s*** show.

I have followed this thread and the development of microneedling/dermarolling closely and I have no doubt that this has substantially assisted some people with regrowth and its awesome that these people have benefited. Due to these great results we've been seeing I decided to include this in my regimen and was hoping for similar affects, unfortunately this has not been the case. I don't want to rain on the parade, especially after another example of the benefits just being posted, but what I've experienced is the opposite of others and believe it is important to include this in the overall picture so people are aware it is possible to have negative outcomes. Here's some background:
  • Starting noticing very very slight recession/thinning around age 30
  • Age 30-31 tried the misc natural options, to no avail (obviously)
  • Age 32-33 starting experimenting with various forms of minoxidil. Never had results or regrowth, continued to lose at a very slow rate
  • Age 34 started to include finasteride. Started with Morr F for 6 months, then switched to oral. Got really weird sides with oral like vertigo and multiple inner ear infections so stopped and went back to Morr F. Again, no real results but was losing so slowly I figured I prob would be a Norwood 2-2.5 by the time I was 50+. No one ever knew I had any hairloss issues besides my wife and even she couldn't really tell unless I took hi-res pics and showed her what I was seeing. I could always style it and there was never any indication visually.
  • Age 35 (Now) stumbled across this and other threads last November. Got the Dr Pen, 12-point needles and started going at it once a week at 1.5 depth, no topicals for 24 hrs after. Up into January things were looking good, could def tell a difference in thickness/scalp health and thought I finally found something that works, man was I in for a surprise. Fast forward to February and March, I have lost an absolute S*** TON of hair. My entire hairline has been decimated, and I now have diffuse thinning all over the front of my scalp, which is where I have been focusing the rolling on.
This is all irrelevant without pics so I have included one from last August/Sept basically right before I started rolling. Which everyone can see it looks like a normal head of hair styled. I'm sure most would be like wtf are you even doing on here but I cut my own hair weekly and could def tell I was heading for a Norwood 2 at some point. My hairline used to be so low it was actually a little weird looking so for me it was apparent I was losing ground. The second one is from last night. Yes the length is much shorter but I had to cut it this short cause the density got so poor it looked terrible all thin and whispy. So after 5 months straight of keeping the same routine, and only adding in the rolling, I have gone from basically a full head of hair to the fast track to a Norwood 3+ at this rate, and in a matter of about 2 months.

I guess the point of posting this is one, to at least raise the topic of this not only being a treatment that may not work for everyone, but it is a possibility it makes things worse. And two, I'd like to hear opinions on where to go from here. Not to try and jack the thread but I'm at a loss of what to do now. I feel I got greedy and should've just left things alone and now I'm paying for it. Should I stop rolling if it honestly just looks worse each week after I roll. Or should I continue for a year and hope this was a massive shed from the treatments finally taking having an impact? I've never even experienced a shed from years of minoxidil and a good 18 months worth of top/oral finasteride use so that's confusing as well. It's a hard decision from this standpoint due to the possibility I keep accelerating loss by rolling. I know there's one or two instances of it taking almost a year to see results but I don't remember it getting much worse at 5-6months, but correct me if I'm wrong. Any help or advise is greatly appreciated.

View attachment 116709 View attachment 116710

I don't think you suffer from baldness.But to reassure you, researchers have said that if at 30 years old, you have more than half of your hair, hair loss will never be important.You will never be bald.Try to see a psychologist about your phobia about hair loss

chen

My Regimen
Reaction score
if dermaroller does not work on you, this does not mean that it does not work on you but rather that this regim does not work.
Try from someone else who is already successful.

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a cheap but decent dermaroller?

Also what else do I need, alcohol?

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
Get 1.5mm 192 needles.

You'll need isopropyl alcohol and betadine as well for proper safety measures.

Thanks for the response.

Will order this now, will report back to this thread in about 6 months to report my results.

I'm hoping for a strengthening of my hairline back to where it was a year ago, and possibly some regrowth on my temples although that seems unlikely as they've been like that for years.

tressful11

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Dr. Pen Ultima A1? Is it good enough? The Ultima A6 is too costly and out of my budget

NarWhal7

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Cool. Only needling?
I take the big 3 as well, and some biotin + collagen peptides.
Currently needling at 1.75mm once every ~8 days or so. About a day after I see my old dead skin flaking away. I needle at 2mm sometimes, but I get little to no bleeding. A lot of redness and soreness, and flaking by day 7.

NarWhal7

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel like their Dr. Pen "catches"? I've buzzed my hair and it just feels like it catches on my scalp when I try to do near my crown. It's frustrating because I feel like I'm not needling as effectively there because of it and while it's red post-session, I bleed basically up to the point of where it starts catching then it stops.
Yes try different speed / needle count, also make sure its charged. If battery is starting to go it could cause it to stop or catch.

Notorious90

My Regimen
Reaction score
Currently microneedling with Trinov and finasteride. Thinking of starting minoxidil.

Do all hairs become dependent on minoxidil?

I have temple recession that I am trying to fill and worried everything else will become minoxidil reliant and fall if i get off of it.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
But to reassure you, researchers have said that if at 30 years old, you have more than half of your hair, hair loss will never be important

Interesting, have you a link to such study?

Researcher also say that people generally see them with a problem with hair loss when they have lost nearly 50% of his hair. (nearly 50% density)

Mr.Sprinkles79

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here's my 3 month update.

39, been thinning since 20.

Starting needling with Dr.Pen ULTIMA A7 /12 needle at 1.5mm on 1/1/19 (weekly) Went to 1.75mm after maybe a month. Added Kirkland Min foam to crown and temples (1x a day) about a week later after starting. I apply min as soon as im done needling.

Sandalore 1% in ppg/etoh everyday on my right temple only w/min. really just as a test, Started needling this temple at 1mm after applying the min/san maybe 2-3 times a week. More on this later.

Nizoral 2% and Dermarest 3% salicylic acid shampoo 1x a week. Been on this for over a year. Really helps with inflammation.

Supplements/Diet-1 yr Fish oil 800/600 mgs epa/dha, Magnesium glycinate 1gm, Niacinamide 1gm, Jarrow B-right, DLPA, Zinc Methionate, D3, Ashwagandha (Sensoril 32%)-Cortisol inhibitor, L-theanine. Low Carb,protein, no Drinking. but i smoke.. alot. also started eating a can of sardines x3-4s and beef liver x1 a week.

I noticed a reduction in inflammation/ oil production almost right away. I never really shed too much but this seemed to be less as well.

At the one month mark or so i did notice a shed of small thin hairs(1in) globally. But not much in the way of terminal loss.

I never really did anything in the the way of massage. But i did read some on the galea, my scalp always did feel pretty tight/sore. I have global muscle tension on the right side of my body. head to toe. Oddly enough my hair lose is alot less on this side of my head where it feels really tight/sore. i didnt want to start rubbing the top of my head so i starting massaging the muscle above my right ear. It was really tight sore like a knot. Went pretty hard on it for a day or two. the next couple days I had the worst inflammation on the that side of my crown I've ever had. So draw from that what you will. I'm sure the two are connected. I did start wiggling my scalp back and forth, just to get a little movement. It seems to have helped relax the muscles, I do now lightly massage the sides of my head.

My scalp in the past month is way looser.. even less inflamation. I can push loose skin into ridges. The more i read, the more im convinced the galea has a major part in all this. Low Oxygen/Loss of blood flow.

Right temple and Sandalore. at about the 1 month mark I could feel peach fuzz growing in just on that temple. Near the hairline now the hairs are almost a 1/4in long. Still thin and white but man.. sure seems like my temple is filling in. And fast. Now.. I have no idea whether this is from the sandalore.. the added ppg over the min foam or the extra needling. but I started doing the same to the other temple a couple weeks ago and I think I'm seeing the same thing now. Its so hard to get pics of those small hairs though.. I think the next 2 months are going to be very truth telling.
Link to album
Baseline 1/1/19
pXx_KOjiQvDV2-oOnsM-sKQOArqIez1iZV9uVsHpWHuBoxkyZCJ2ynNU34B17lsG2s-saRvWuGKPIWXOOZLawyz3Bg=w2400.jpg

1pxLORlAWObDkOgsc27i3SAnmapv8F_KfegRe_sK7YmALhWBh9Dgk29z5nSxSuhU7m-9rpoBFcaNqZoLqAZzq9vfrw=w2400.jpg

3 Months 4/1/19
HtY2OA2J4USAOJkU0LnTsT_38pPRh43ttOdCPoBxd6kXibKhxfEJy-XBbKbsfJG2Wdf107U5GoPB664JIGio1-Ocfw=w2400.jpg

ho2gYxK_TRby_Nvrd0j7lf-EM18vP9VuhFgTvPvVcBtiBwwgYoEcOWf0k1ZvrnuPo4bOq_E8uMW8sFD0AHkAgP8sbg=w2400.jpg

devz

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm a 22yo guy with diffuse pattern and Im under finasteride, actually nw2. My Hair are so bad looking, should I start dermapen? Ty

j4r0d

Reaction score
I'm a 22yo guy with diffuse pattern and Im under finasteride, actually nw2. My Hair are so bad looking, should I start dermapen? Ty

If you are that far at 22 you probably don't have much to lose man. Try 1.5mm every two weeks to start get started.

devz

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you are that far at 22 you probably don't have much to lose man. Try 1.5mm every two weeks to start get started.
I got diffuse pattern in all the scalp and I think I got the NW6 pattern. My hair looks like sh*t and they are not good to look. I don't know if dermapen can improve quality...

ToLGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Besides numberman and the classical success cases of the 2013 trial... Is there anyone here that has reported regrowth with the following conditions?

1) Needling without minoxidil or finasteride
2) Old minoxidil/finasteride users who started needling years after the other treatments

If so, please let me know. It seems to me that most of the reported cases success in this thread DO NOT meet the aforementioned conditions. I am also kinda worried to see the list of non responders growing (which are sadly ignored by most users or regarded as "they are doing something wrong").
Gonna post my progress (or lack of it) with pics in a month when I get to the 6 month mark, but I honestly I think I am going to get disappointed. Still getting some new hairs at my hairline (no cosmetic significance tho) but my crown seems to be not responding or even getting worse.
Anyone got success under those conditions? Some of us could use some hope, guys.

tressful11

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Besides numberman and the classical success cases of the 2013 trial... Is there anyone here that has reported regrowth with the following conditions?

1) Needling without minoxidil or finasteride
2) Old minoxidil/finasteride users who started needling years after the other treatments

If so, please let me know. It seems to me that most of the reported cases success in this thread DO NOT meet the aforementioned conditions. I am also kinda worried to see the list of non responders growing (which are sadly ignored by most users or regarded as "they are doing something wrong").
Gonna post my progress (or lack of it) with pics in a month when I get to the 6 month mark, but I honestly I think I am going to get disappointed. Still getting some new hairs at my hairline (no cosmetic significance tho) but my crown seems to be not responding or even getting worse.
Anyone got success under those conditions? Some of us could use some hope, guys.

I belong to the 2nd category. Old min/finasteride user. I agree with you that those who start dermarolling along with finasteride/min get the best results because they sort of go "all-in" on the hairloss and sudden boost helps grow hair dramatically. I dermarolled for about 7-8 months without any results. But I was not dermarolling properly back then. Now I do scalp massages daily and light rolling with 1 mm roller. Then every weekend I roll hard with 1.5 mm roller.
No major progress to report but I think my hair is slowly getting thicker and new vellus hair is forming. I mean progress is not as significant as some best responders here but there is atleast some positive change. I'll continue following this regimen for atleast a year or two before giving up.

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think you suffer from baldness.But to reassure you, researchers have said that if at 30 years old, you have more than half of your hair, hair loss will never be important.You will never be bald.Try to see a psychologist about your phobia about hair loss

That’s broscience man.

I’ve been slowly balding since 25 and I’m now 41 and had a hair transplant.

It’s still slowly balding. It f*****g sucks.

But I would agree that if you’re a full head at 30 you’re probably going to be okay.

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
I belong to the 2nd category. Old min/finasteride user. I agree with you that those who start dermarolling along with finasteride/min get the best results because they sort of go "all-in" on the hairloss and sudden boost helps grow hair dramatically. I dermarolled for about 7-8 months without any results. But I was not dermarolling properly back then. Now I do scalp massages daily and light rolling with 1 mm roller. Then every weekend I roll hard with 1.5 mm roller.
No major progress to report but I think my hair is slowly getting thicker and new vellus hair is forming. I mean progress is not as significant as some best responders here but there is atleast some positive change. I'll continue following this regimen for atleast a year or two before giving up.

How is new vellus hair not awesome and not progress?

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
That’s broscience man.

I’ve been slowly balding since 25 and I’m now 41 and had a hair transplant.

It’s still slowly balding. It f*****g sucks.

But I would agree that if you’re a full head at 30 you’re probably going to be okay.
My father had full head of hair at 65 and now at 73 he is norwood 3 diffuse thinning. Baldness can hit you at any age ,there is no guaranteed age you could believe.