Very Impressive Dermarolling And Minxodil Results - From Tressless

nohairnolife

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't waste your time with rosemary oil, it's not worth it.
Well I already bought a big bottle but it hasn't done anything for me as far as I can tell

ScalpGardener

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been following this thread for a while, this microneedling stuff is quite an exciting development. I've only needled 3 times over the past 4 months but I may increase the frequency to every 2-3 weeks. I've already seen some results with little clumps of 10 or so dark new hairs appearing on my temples a cm or so in front of my hairline. The rest of my hair seems to be thickening slightly too.

I know I'm still in the very early stages but I feel good about this because this is a treatment where results seem to compound and increase over time. I'm like a NW3 or 4, 26 years old so I had basically given up on trying to treat hair loss. Didn't want to take finasteride and minoxidil didn't really seem worth it to me but needling is something I'm willing to get on board with. I buzz my hair on the shortest setting so it's pretty easy to needle thoroughly. I've never used minoxidil or finasteride or any topicals other than nizoral shampoo. Just microneedling once a month or so with the 1.5 mm setting on a derma pen, medium speed. I've also been using the pen on my face for some acne scarring and I'm seeing positive results with that as well. The first couple times I used the pen I found it very painful, especially on the scalp, but in my session last week I was able to tolerate it much better. I've been doing some light scalp massages as well.

Anyway just wanted to check in, I haven't seen too many people doing the needling only route without any minoxidil so I wanted to share. Hopefully I'll have more positive results in the future and some progress pics to post.

nohairnolife

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been following this thread for a while, this microneedling stuff is quite an exciting development. I've only needled 3 times over the past 4 months but I may increase the frequency to every 2-3 weeks. I've already seen some results with little clumps of 10 or so dark new hairs appearing on my temples a cm or so in front of my hairline. The rest of my hair seems to be thickening slightly too.

I know I'm still in the very early stages but I feel good about this because this is a treatment where results seem to compound and increase over time. I'm like a NW3 or 4, 26 years old so I had basically given up on trying to treat hair loss. Didn't want to take finasteride and minoxidil didn't really seem worth it to me but needling is something I'm willing to get on board with. I buzz my hair on the shortest setting so it's pretty easy to needle thoroughly. I've never used minoxidil or finasteride or any topicals other than nizoral shampoo. Just microneedling once a month or so with the 1.5 mm setting on a derma pen, medium speed. I've also been using the pen on my face for some acne scarring and I'm seeing positive results with that as well. The first couple times I used the pen I found it very painful, especially on the scalp, but in my session last week I was able to tolerate it much better. I've been doing some light scalp massages as well.

Anyway just wanted to check in, I haven't seen too many people doing the needling only route without any minoxidil so I wanted to share. Hopefully I'll have more positive results in the future and some progress pics to post.

Be real you just wanted to show off that name

...it is pretty good

benjt2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@benjt2 - Yep, indeed. There is the science behind the studies at least.
What actually worries me a bit about the studies are two things:
  • The discrepancy between the responder rate in the studies and here. Yes, some people here report results, but also many report having none whatsoever (myself included). This kind of discrepancy is very hard to explain away.
  • The journal the Indian study was published in. While dermatology is not my field, I used to work in academia for a couple of years and Indian journals are well known to be full of BS and scams. The journal that the Indian study was published in has rather low rankings and describes itself as follows: "The International Journal of Trichology (IJT) is the official peer-reviewed journal of the Hair Research Society of India." I'm wondering what the quality of this journal actually is and if it's maybe one of these typical Indian low quality journals or not. If the data has been tampered or exaggerated this would also explain the discrepancy in response rates.

PeggyPeterson

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
  • The journal the Indian study was published in. While dermatology is not my field, I used to work in academia for a couple of years and Indian journals are well known to be full of BS and scams. The journal that the Indian study was published in has rather low rankings and describes itself as follows: "The International Journal of Trichology (IJT) is the official peer-reviewed journal of the Hair Research Society of India." I'm wondering what the quality of this journal actually is and if it's maybe one of these typical Indian low quality journals or not. If the data has been tampered or exaggerated this would also explain the discrepancy in response rates.

The author of the Journal is an advisor of Follica.. I don’t know what to make of it though. Is Follica just being desperate? Or do they truly see something ground breaking in her research.

Another question that may be worth considering is that the participants were of Indian decent.. maybe they have different version of Baldness.

infinitepain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I agree.... It doesn't have anything to do with Microneedling and minoxidil directly. But indirectly it gets absorbed in the scalp for iodine deficiency.

It's just another possible angle for some to tackle their possible hair loss if that's their reason. We shouldn't discredit it. We could all be experiencing hair loss for different reasons, so we should tackle all angles.

Scientifically, iodine helps hair regrowth.

It may not have been necessary for you, but possibly for others. It takes 1 minute to cover your scalp in it during and after rolling. Plus it's a good safety measure.

I encourage EVERYONE to add it to their regimen in addition to sanitizing their rollers with isopropyl alcohol

I agree.... It doesn't have anything to do with Microneedling and minoxidil directly. But indirectly it gets absorbed in the scalp for iodine deficiency.

It's just another possible angle for some to tackle their possible hair loss if that's their reason. We shouldn't discredit it. We could all be experiencing hair loss for different reasons, so we should tackle all angles.

Scientifically, iodine helps hair regrowth.

It may not have been necessary for you, but possibly for others. It takes 1 minute to cover your scalp in it during and after rolling. Plus it's a good safety measure.

I encourage EVERYONE to add it to their regimen in addition to sanitizing their rollers with isopropyl alcohol

Which format of betadine? there's shampoo, soap, and I think liquid

I would buy the shampoo, leave it 5 minutes, dry my hair, derminator 2 all over, then the soap? but if there's blood, I would need to take another shower, then dry the scalp, shampoo it again, then apply the soap and leave it on there? or perhaps liquid, who knows. There's also gel. I don't know which format to use. Soap or gel may be too sticky and cluter the movement of the needle? or it's strong enough that it doesn't matter?

What worries me: Taking a shower right after using the derminator: Im concerned that there's sh*t on my bathroom like mold spores, and other crap typical in humid environments like a bathroom, going into my head. Lime on the shower, and so on.

Using the dryier makes all those particles fly all over the place.

I just don't f*****g know how to go about it. I would need an environment similar to surgeon's to not be concerned about infections.

Last edited:

infinitepain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It likely doesn't have a permanent change in the scalp, which means it is super relevant to put minoxidil right after.
Looks like you are defeating your own argument here?

I am doing light penning every other day to help absorption as well during the healing process, because I believe the scalp closes up quickly. So I don't change my minoxidil regimen, just more penning = more absorption, and the sooner the better so scalp is still wide open in my opinion.

Im not, you are validating it if anything. Again, if there is no permanent change on the scalp, then what difference does it make to put minoxidil right after, assuming you only do the dermapening at the standard rate of monthly of bi weekly sessions. It's just one day of increased minoxidil absorption. How relevant could that be?

infinitepain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I want to ask, anyone here from europe? How long does it take for the derminator 2 to get to France for instance? I want to start ASAP, im going to buy 1 year supply of cartridges. Is everyone using the 12 needles one? and what speed are you using it at? i see theres slow medium and fast. Im not sure if the studies reported these details? or are all of the studies with rollers?

JJL58

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Which format of betadine? there's shampoo, soap, and I think liquid

I would buy the shampoo, leave it 5 minutes, dry my hair, derminator 2 all over, then the soap? but if there's blood, I would need to take another shower, then dry the scalp, shampoo it again, then apply the soap and leave it on there? or perhaps liquid, who knows. There's also gel. I don't know which format to use. Soap or gel may be too sticky and cluter the movement of the needle? or it's strong enough that it doesn't matter?

What worries me: Taking a shower right after using the derminator: Im concerned that there's sh*t on my bathroom like mold spores, and other crap typical in humid environments like a bathroom, going into my head. Lime on the shower, and so on.

Using the dryier makes all those particles fly all over the place.

I just don't f*****g know how to go about it. I would need an environment similar to surgeon's to not be concerned about infections.

Dude just relax and buy the antiseptic liquid solution. It's really not a big deal. You are over complicating everything. I use this:

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/betadine-antiseptic-solution/ID=prod1544040-product

This is my safety regimen:

1. Soak dermaroller in isopropyl alcohol
2. Shower. Wash scalp thoroughly.
3. Apply betadine to scalp. Let sit for 10 minutes so it penetrates scalp. Don't rinse.
4. Dermaroll with betadine still on scalp.
5. When finished, rinse dermaroller under tap water to rinse off debris. Soak again in isopropyl alcohol.
6. Rinse off scalp / blood / betadine with cold water .
7. Dry scalp with clean paper towels. Re apply betadine. Let sit for 10 minutes.
8. Rinse, dry, put everything away. Don't let anything unclean touch scalp for a day at least. Wait 12 - 24 hrs for Minoxidil.

It's so easy and safe. I roll with intensity and really draw blood and I've never had an issue.

Last edited:

overpourgoodfortune

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There are around ~250 people (give or take some) needling in this thread. Whether inspired by the thread to start - or that have come out of the woodwork and posted on here that it is part of their regimen.

And those are only the ones that have posted anything. I wonder how many more are lurking?

HairOnTheEdge

My Regimen
Reaction score
I believe 2young2retire also used betadine. But the sketchy thing about him is that he no longer posts his current hair status

This plus the fact that the original photo quality and hair length differences in the before/after didn't leave me with much confidence. Not a lot, if any, people are reporting results with just needling. After @yayapapaya replied to one of my postings I decided to add minoxidil. I was three months in just needling and frankly now I'm not interested anymore in stabbing my scalp and causing 2-3 days of an unexplained and ugly red scalp (I wet shave so no hair to hide it) for an entire year just for a chance at a few more follicles.

Hopefully the next three months with min added will give me some noticeable improvement to justify all of this.

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What actually worries me a bit about the studies are two things:
  • The discrepancy between the responder rate in the studies and here. Yes, some people here report results, but also many report having none whatsoever (myself included). This kind of discrepancy is very hard to explain away.

I think a problem with the study - and a reason for the high response rate in the study - is that they only used Indian men.

I would put money on them being better responders to this than the average, non-Indian, man. Indians tend to be diffuse thinners and this seems to be most effective on diffuse hair loss.

FCKW36

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think a problem with the study - and a reason for the high response rate in the study - is that they only used Indian men.

I would put money on them being better responders to this than the average, non-Indian, man. Indians tend to be diffuse thinners and this seems to be most effective on diffuse hair loss.

If it's most effective on diffuse thinning, I should be a great responder.

JJL58

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Holy sh*t will some of you guys delay instant gratification and give this a proper trial

ZidaneBaldGod

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay guys here are some pics.
I'm actually kinda shocked.

Under harsh lightining, i look almost completely bald, monk style.
This was the first time i have grown my hair in a long time, i rocked the shaved head for one year.

I think i might be approaching NW4?
Anyhow we'll see what happens in a couple of months of needling. As you can see, my hair is so thin that under harsh lights i look like a monk. Hahaha.

View attachment 110899 Dim lights.

View attachment 110900 Harsh light

View attachment 110901 Harsh light - back

My crown used to be much darker, and also the top of my head. Before, you could not see the horseshoe at all.
After growing it out again, it turns out my hair got much, much worse.

If i stay in dark lights, i don't look THIS bald. But these harsh lightining photos will be useful to compare in a few months.

Even if needling fails, i like the shaved head look so it's no biggie for me. ;)
Just kinda shocked how much my hair got worse after the shave.

Okay guys, just as i promised. Here are the month two pictures.

I'm no photographer, but i used the same light as last time, and took the pictures in the same room and angle.

Harsh lights
20190303_134403.jpg
20190303_134459.jpg

Darker lights
20190303_134434.jpg

20190303_134631.jpg
20190303_134657.jpg

I actually have no idea if i got any improvement. With my pattern, it's super hard to tell.
What i can tell you for sure though, is that my hair did not get much worse, so i'm 90% sure that this sh*t works for maintenance.
Also my hair looks super healthy and sebum free, so that's a plus.

Someone with a good eye might be able to help me see if there's any improvement.

Just keep in mind that my hair is much longer here.

JJL58

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I'm no photographer, but i used the same light as last time, and took the pictures in the same room and angle.

Harsh lights
View attachment 113998 View attachment 114001

Darker lights
View attachment 113999
View attachment 114002 View attachment 114003
I actually have no idea if i got any improvement. With my pattern, it's super hard to tell.
What i can tell you for sure though, is that my hair did not get much worse, so i'm 90% sure that this sh*t works for maintenance.

Someone with a good eye might be able to help me see if there's any improvement.

We have near identical balding

JJL58

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Harsh lights
View attachment 113998 View attachment 114001

Darker lights
View attachment 113999
View attachment 114002 View attachment 114003

Just keep in mind that my hair is much longer here.

Btw you have regrowth. Keep the course