Very Impressive Dermarolling And Minxodil Results - From Tressless

sportsguy97

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@layabout - Interesting with the side hair experiment. I'm more curious as if this will help with grey hair on the sides. The wnt protein is allegedly involved in turning grey back to black. I'm late 30's, not alot of grey but they are starting to pop up. I don't mind the grey, but would be nice to have options.

One more comment on the cancer thing. Until some world renown dermatologist tells me needling can cause cancer i won't believe it. Needling has been around for a while, and its only a matter of time b4 some hair transplant surgeon starts making false claims about this causing cancer to scare people away.

layabout

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had similar thinning on the sides, and while I haven't got as good results as you (in 2 months), I am about 80% there. I think I can finally get a normal haircut with sides being shorter than the top without looking like I am balding too much.
it's gunna be 3 months very soon

Reactions: krk

sportsguy97

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Of course. The data is "public domain", anyone can do with it whatever they want.

Regarding my own results: They continue to be as non-existent as before. I am now 4 months in, still no results whatsoever. Want to report them again though as people were suggesting non-responders at the 4 month mark are only due to a lack of minoxidil.
To recap my regime:
  • Weekly electric dermaneedling at 1.75 mm (only in affected areas, i.e. front and temples, plus 2 cm into my remaining hair and 2 cm below hairline)
  • minoxidil 5% (rogaine) once a day
  • Added scalp massages one month ago, haven't been doing them as regularly as I would have liked
  • No results at all at 4 month mark

The new results published by @chen are very encouraging though. Basically he is doing what @Somebody (Alex) was doing very successfully. Maybe higher frequency is really the way to go? Or maybe, to reap the benefits of both deep but seldom needling and of shallow but more frequent needling, we could try to follow a hybrid approach? I was thinking as follows:
  • needle deeply, at 1.75 mm
  • let your skin heal for one week
  • now needle daily at 1.0 mm for one week
  • repeat
Basically, we would be alternating between deep and seldom needling, and shallow daily needling.
Opinions?

Thanks a lot @chen for not only answering our questions, but also for posting very helpful and insightful photos! Obrigado!

@chen could you answer the following questions, so we can get a better picture of your whole process and progress?
  1. When did you start dermaneedling? (month + year)
  2. Since when do you use minoxidil? (month + year)
  3. Since when do you use finasteride? (month + year)
  4. What kind of device do you use for dermaneedling? (roller / stamp / electric pen)
  5. Which length are your needles? (in mm)
  6. How often do you needle?
  7. When did you see the first noticeable regrowth? (month + year)
I created a full-blown survey for assessing/tracking everybody's progress here. I will send you the whole survey via PM. Take your time to answer it, it's a bit long.
It would be great through if you could already answer these 7 questions.

Thanks a lot!

I think thats the beauty of this. People are getting results with different methods. Not one size fits all. There is still so much we can learn about this. Personally it think this is the type of treatment that can work at anytime. One day your follicles just flip a switch and regrowth happens. Thats why i advocate everyone needling at least once a month long term.

It may work, it may not. However its easy enough to do. It also seems like gains can be kept for a while after stopping. Ideal Scenario -

Achieve regrowth, then needle every once in a while (4-6 weeks) to maintain.

Yeah, I might create a Reddit account to try and contact him; see if I can report whatever progress (or lack thereof) he's had. It's good to have info on long term cases.

On a side note, I'll be needling again soon after almost a month! Can't wait.

He's still on there on reddit. He replies to people all the time and he's still trying to help them out. To be honest if i was him i prob wouldn't come back either. It just created so much unnecessary banter.

ImBigTrouble

My Regimen
Reaction score
A promise is a debt, sorry if the pics aren't the best i could do, this is one month and 18 days pics and baseline pics, both.
at this moment i think my hair is healtier than the microneedling's start , i will post at 3 months pics.
I have been on minoxidil 8 years ago then all the improvement will be for microneedling. I got one hair transplant, at the middle of the scalp but i have problems at the back side and the front.
I edit to say, i got retrograde too, i will post previous pictures and 3 months pics.

pic2.JPG
pic1.jpg
pic3.JPG
pic6.jpg
pic9.jpg
pic8.jpg
pic7.jpg

kirklandism

Reaction score
chens results are actually the most impressive yet as he has reversed that baldness shine stage
Almost 30 years ago, when my hair was first starting to recede, I visited a local practitioner of Traditional Chinese Medicine for advice. He sold me a tiny little wooden mallet with small needles embedded in it along with some topical herbs mixed into a very smelly liquid. He told me to tap my head daily with the mallet in the balding areas and then apply the medicine. I lasted one day and thought it was a ridiculous procedure that would never work.

rizaster

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
guys, what routine are you using?

i'm thinking of using 0.5mm dermaroller 2 times a week, use regaine straight after even though it might burn!
Do others use this protocol?

I currently do .25 mm twice a week and apply minoxidil right after in a addition to once a week 1.5mm wounding. There is a slght burn when apply minoxidil but nothing major.

I may up the frequency of .25mm rolling to once a day or perhaps keep it at twice a week but use a .5mm roller

Ive been in ninixidil for over a year, and have alsways been shedding since my hairloss. Since dermarolling almost 2 months ago, my shedidng has finally decreased and my diffuse hair loss is starting to fill in , waiting until the 3 month mark to post pics (march 22nd)

orange86

My Regimen
Reaction score
I currently do .25 mm twice a week and apply minoxidil right after in a addition to once a week 1.5mm wounding. There is a slght burn when apply minoxidil but nothing major.

I may up the frequency of .25mm rolling to once a day or perhaps keep it at twice a week but use a .5mm roller

Ive been in ninixidil for over a year, and have alsways been shedding since my hairloss. Since dermarolling almost 2 months ago, my shedidng has finally decreased and my diffuse hair loss is starting to fill in , waiting until the 3 month mark to post pics (march 22nd)

when you do the 1.5mm wounding, do you stop using regaine for 24 hours?

i have a receding hair line and temples are thinning one side more than the other weirdly.
do you think derma rolling and regaine will help hairline and temples?

i might go on same protocol as you.

Iah11

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Right i was thinking of making a post with a summary of all my posts in this thread. Im at the 8 week mark in 3 days. Seems to be working for me. I dont wanna jinx it. Noticed a lot of people writing this off. But look through my post history. Ive been here for a while and this dermarolling was literally my last hope. Done everything from finasteride to RU to OC. Posting my first ever picture reluctantly, to prove the recent doubters wrong and encourage any lurkers to give this a go. I dont have a before pic but i circled the new growth, you'll have to take my word. Maybe ill update again in a month or two.

Attachments

• Snapchat-907947417.jpg
    Snapchat-907947417.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 736

Iah11

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If the new hairs become normal density and thickness, id be a NW0 again. Also worth mentioning existing hair is thickening so the positive effect is massive overall

Just to clarify previous post: im not currently on anything except minoxidil.

Last edited:

chen

My Regimen
Reaction score
Of course. The data is "public domain", anyone can do with it whatever they want.

Regarding my own results: They continue to be as non-existent as before. I am now 4 months in, still no results whatsoever. Want to report them again though as people were suggesting non-responders at the 4 month mark are only due to a lack of minoxidil.
To recap my regime:
  • Weekly electric dermaneedling at 1.75 mm (only in affected areas, i.e. front and temples, plus 2 cm into my remaining hair and 2 cm below hairline)
  • minoxidil 5% (rogaine) once a day
  • Added scalp massages one month ago, haven't been doing them as regularly as I would have liked
  • No results at all at 4 month mark

The new results published by @chen are very encouraging though. Basically he is doing what @Somebody (Alex) was doing very successfully. Maybe higher frequency is really the way to go? Or maybe, to reap the benefits of both deep but seldom needling and of shallow but more frequent needling, we could try to follow a hybrid approach? I was thinking as follows:
  • needle deeply, at 1.75 mm
  • let your skin heal for one week
  • now needle daily at 1.0 mm for one week
  • repeat
Basically, we would be alternating between deep and seldom needling, and shallow daily needling.
Opinions?

Thanks a lot @chen for not only answering our questions, but also for posting very helpful and insightful photos! Obrigado!

@chen could you answer the following questions, so we can get a better picture of your whole process and progress?
  1. When did you start dermaneedling? (month + year)
  2. Since when do you use minoxidil? (month + year)
  3. Since when do you use finasteride? (month + year)
  4. What kind of device do you use for dermaneedling? (roller / stamp / electric pen)
  5. Which length are your needles? (in mm)
  6. How often do you needle?
  7. When did you see the first noticeable regrowth? (month + year)
I created a full-blown survey for assessing/tracking everybody's progress here. I will send you the whole survey via PM. Take your time to answer it, it's a bit long.
It would be great through if you could already answer these 7 questions.

Thanks a lot!
I do not remember, I think it was in April / May 2017 that I bought minoxidil, 2 months later it includes supplements,
I started using dermaroller in July / August 2017
seeing my requests, on June 21, 2017 I bought kirkland, it took almost 1 month to arrive, before I used only national minoxidil.
in February 2018 includes finasteride
I only used dermaroller 1.0 mm.
2 times per day
6 months after using the minoxidil I made sure that it was growing hair, very fine yarn nothing exciting.
when it included the dermaroller I felt that the head was scratching a lot more, and it was the signal to me that the minoxidil was working much better and I did not stop anymore

CuredMouse

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Congrats on your results man.

I’m thinking of adding sandalore to my regimen. I have a bottle of it and some ethyl alcohol. Is there anything else I should mix it with? And may I ask what ratio you are using?

Also, did u experience a shed when first using it? Thanks!
The formula I use is this:
Mix 5 drops of sandalore in 30ml of propylene glycol and let it sit for 24 hours, then pour in 30ml of ethyl alcohol. That's all there is to it!

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I do not remember, I think it was in April / May 2017 that I bought minoxidil, 2 months later it includes supplements,
I started using dermaroller in July / August 2017
seeing my requests, on June 21, 2017 I bought kirkland, it took almost 1 month to arrive, before I used only national minoxidil.
in February 2018 includes finasteride
I only used dermaroller 1.0 mm.
2 times per day
6 months after using the minoxidil I made sure that it was growing hair, very fine yarn nothing exciting.
when it included the dermaroller I felt that the head was scratching a lot more, and it was the signal to me that the minoxidil was working much better and I did not stop anymore
I am also getting lots of oddly shaped white hairs coming out. Also some dark but they are smaller than the white ones. I can see them growing below my hairline and within my regular hair, like grass with some kind of weeds taking over.
Now I am sure that this is minoxidil hair(3 months in) but the weekly needling is definitely not hurting my hair.
Do these the hairs become permanent? How long does it take? Or do they just stay like that. Will they fall out eventually? And be replaced?
I use minoxidil with finasteride topical right after needling. 2x/day

rizaster

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
when you do the 1.5mm wounding, do you stop using regaine for 24 hours?

i have a receding hair line and temples are thinning one side more than the other weirdly.
do you think derma rolling and regaine will help hairline and temples?

i might go on same protocol as you.

I do not wait 24 hours. There are differing opinions on this, with many saying you should wait so minoxidil doesnt go systematic. My perspective is, if your not bleeding, you dont have an open wound, and so it shouldnt go systematic. That being said im not a doctor and so i could be totally wrong in this. I wait about an hour or so to apply minoxidil after wounding.

I dont see why rolling and minoxidil wouldnt help your hairline. Im seeing growth in my hairline as well but still not where it will make a cosmetic difference. But i have high expectations that will fill out.

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I do not wait 24 hours. There are differing opinions on this, with many saying you should wait so minoxidil doesnt go systematic. My perspective is, if your not bleeding, you dont have an open wound, and so it shouldnt go systematic. That being said im not a doctor and so i could be totally wrong in this. I wait about an hour or so to apply minoxidil after wounding.

I dont see why rolling and minoxidil wouldnt help your hairline. Im seeing growth in my hairline as well but still not where it will make a cosmetic difference. But i have high expectations that will fill out.

Everything goes systemic, including minoxidil applied on undamaged skin. It's only a matter of degree.

Dermarolling with 0.5mm needles is known to increase penetration of topicals.

It's wise to give the needle wounds some time to close up before applying topicals.
How much time? That probably depends on the person, the needle depth, and the topical.

orange86

My Regimen
Reaction score
Everything goes systemic, including minoxidil applied on undamaged skin. It's only a matter of degree.

Dermarolling with 0.5mm needles is known to increase penetration of topicals.

It's wise to give the needle wounds some time to close up before applying topicals.
How much time? That probably depends on the person, the needle depth, and the topical.

Hi Coolio, so if I derma roll 2x a week using 0.5mm, would it be unwise to apply regaine straight after?

What's your regime ?

Bitless

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

ghosthairkillah

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well - I updated my 2 month update post from yesterday with a photo from the same bathroom lighting now that I'm back from my travels. Definitely see my crown is closing in a little. Wasn't an illusion of the hotel's lighting. Hopefully this continues.

View attachment 112918

Not only do you have re-growth, your hair looks healthy. I'm only about 10 days in and I feel like my hair is healthier and perhaps a little bit denser too.

Gardy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Almost 30 years ago, when my hair was first starting to recede, I visited a local practitioner of Traditional Chinese Medicine for advice. He sold me a tiny little wooden mallet with small needles embedded in it along with some topical herbs mixed into a very smelly liquid. He told me to tap my head daily with the mallet in the balding areas and then apply the medicine. I lasted one day and thought it was a ridiculous procedure that would never work.

If this is true, it is really astonishing. I wonder how many of those "ancient wisdoms" actually work but modern medicine has not discovered them yet or is rejecting them.

On a side note, I just got my 0.5 mm and 1.5 mm dermapens today, it's time to give them a try. Will continue to follow this thread and add my experience along everyone else's that are posting here.

Cheers