Reggie Perrin

My Regimen
Reaction score
do not forget this.
View attachment 107538

do not go in the sun for 7 days after the roll
do the procedure only in winter months.
avoid UV wavelengths after the rolling
massage the skin after the roll, let the tiny holes bleed this tiny amount of blood by mechanical stress.

i am not a doctor. please consult with your doctor before doing anything.
i am not selling anything
i am just spending my time here talking funny stuff.(for fun)

So based on that picture if the desire is to get more blood travelling to the scalp or head, then Angiogenesis is important, but this looks like this only starts after a week, and can go on for several weeks. It makes me wonder if you would get the same or better results with a longer frequency between rolling, perhaps once a month.

I can imagine all the variations in terms of needle size, frequency and duration is why Follica seems to have taken so long. Trying to identify what is the most effective method, or actually whether this needs to be tailored to individuals.

Bill_Russo

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I can imagine all the variations in terms of needle size, frequency and duration is why Follica seems to have taken so long. Trying to identify what is the most effective method, or actually whether this needs to be tailored to individuals.
Indeed. I find it kinda sad when I see people going all "10 YEARS TO GET A FANCY DERMINATOR?!"... And also kind of hilarious too. So sadlarious.

hairloss_user

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Left pic from Dec 17 (10th week) and right pic from today. Same place, same lighting. Wet hair.

Will post the next pic in 2 weeks

3ufm43r.jpg

Last edited:

Notreallyhere

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
just did my third session bled this time which is interesting i also notice the LCD depth indicator showed i made depth easier in some places more than others this time and also thick hair makes making depth extremely tough too meaning if this works il have to ironically shave my head lol.

benjt2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sup guys,

some years ago I had deleted my old account, hoping to never return cause I wanted to spend my time with more useful things than being on a hairloss forum.

Then, the recent dermarolling/needling/penning hype (re-)started and I decided to also give it a try. Had already rolled with a regular dermaroller (1.5 mm IIRC) back then. Now rolling with a dermapen. Gotta say it's much, much easier.

Anyway, not trying to be the party pooper, but I wanted to report my interim results, or rather lack thereof.

Been rolling (mostly quite heaviliy, i.e. drawing quite a bit of blood) for almost exactly two months now. I am keeping a precise log on when I needle (date and time) and how strongly. A few sessions I had to roll mildly because of important appointments the next day for which I would rather not be red around my hairline.

My log so far, omitting times cause I'm lazy and cause it was mostly at 11 pm. Heavy = drew blood, mild = only redness:
  • 22.10.: heavy
  • 03.11.: mild
  • 10.11.: heavy
  • 17.11.: mild
  • 23.11.: heavy
  • 01.12.: mild
  • 08.12.: heavy
  • 16.12: mild
  • 21.12.: very heavy (2young2retire style)

minoxidil usage: once daily 1ml in the evening

Noteworthy limitations: I only roll in the front, as that is the only area affected (although it is a very big one by now). Hairline, a bit into the hair beyond, and underneath hairline. Basically my hairline plus 2 cm above/beyond and 2 cm below. I am wondering if there are synergistic effects when rolling the whole head instead of only affected areas? Might more growth factors be released then that also spill over or are summoned to the affected areas?

Hairloss situation: Norwoord 3.5A. Front is almost completely gone, temples almost meet on the top of my head, vertex still pretty much perfect (no visible loss)

Hairloss started at: 17

Now I know that 2 months is too early for any visible results to speak of, but the thing is that there is literally no change. Nothing, nada, niente. No additional vellus hair, no additional terminal hair. Nothing. I am very strict in my regimen, both in terms of minoxidil and in terms of rolling. From my understanding there should be a gradual process: First some vellus, then later, maybe in the next cycle, something thicker, until later something hopefully terminal.
tl;dr: Two months in, no change at all, not even new vellus.

I have also been very dilligent in collecting other people's photos and analyzing their timestamps. Most people who posted photos seem to be getting visible results around the 4 month mark (though vellus much earlier).
Thus, I will continue rolling, even though there is no change whatsoever so far, until at least the 4 month mark. Won't give up until then. Maybe will even continue until the 6 months mark, but if until then there is not even new vellus hair, I will either give up or change my regimen to light daily rolling (like Sombody/Alex did), hoping that this will maybe show any effect at all.

What I wanted to do with this post:
  • provide some data and another personal story
  • show that, unfortunately, it is also possible with dilligent rolling not to have any effects after 2 months, not even new vellus

Will keep you updated.

J0ker

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sup guys,

some years ago I had deleted my old account, hoping to never return cause I wanted to spend my time with more useful things than being on a hairloss forum.

Then, the recent dermarolling/needling/penning hype (re-)started and I decided to also give it a try. Had already rolled with a regular dermaroller (1.5 mm IIRC) back then. Now rolling with a dermapen. Gotta say it's much, much easier.

Anyway, not trying to be the party pooper, but I wanted to report my interim results, or rather lack thereof.

Been rolling (mostly quite heaviliy, i.e. drawing quite a bit of blood) for almost exactly two months now. I am keeping a precise log on when I needle (date and time) and how strongly. A few sessions I had to roll mildly because of important appointments the next day for which I would rather not be red around my hairline.

My log so far, omitting times cause I'm lazy and cause it was mostly at 11 pm. Heavy = drew blood, mild = only redness:
  • 22.10.: heavy
  • 03.11.: mild
  • 10.11.: heavy
  • 17.11.: mild
  • 23.11.: heavy
  • 01.12.: mild
  • 08.12.: heavy
  • 16.12: mild
  • 21.12.: very heavy (2young2retire style)

minoxidil usage: once daily 1ml in the evening

Noteworthy limitations: I only roll in the front, as that is the only area affected (although it is a very big one by now). Hairline, a bit into the hair beyond, and underneath hairline. Basically my hairline plus 2 cm above/beyond and 2 cm below. I am wondering if there are synergistic effects when rolling the whole head instead of only affected areas? Might more growth factors be released then that also spill over or are summoned to the affected areas?

Hairloss situation: Norwoord 3.5A. Front is almost completely gone, temples almost meet on the top of my head, vertex still pretty much perfect (no visible loss)

Hairloss started at: 17

Now I know that 2 months is too early for any visible results to speak of, but the thing is that there is literally no change. Nothing, nada, niente. No additional vellus hair, no additional terminal hair. Nothing. I am very strict in my regimen, both in terms of minoxidil and in terms of rolling. From my understanding there should be a gradual process: First some vellus, then later, maybe in the next cycle, something thicker, until later something hopefully terminal.
tl;dr: Two months in, no change at all, not even new vellus.

I have also been very dilligent in collecting other people's photos and analyzing their timestamps. Most people who posted photos seem to be getting visible results around the 4 month mark (though vellus much earlier).
Thus, I will continue rolling, even though there is no change whatsoever so far, until at least the 4 month mark. Won't give up until then. Maybe will even continue until the 6 months mark, but if until then there is not even new vellus hair, I will either give up or change my regimen to light daily rolling (like Sombody/Alex did), hoping that this will maybe show any effect at all.

What I wanted to do with this post:
  • provide some data and another personal story
  • show that, unfortunately, it is also possible with dilligent rolling not to have any effects after 2 months, not even new vellus

Will keep you updated.
You're 2 months in mate... Don't let the hypers in this thread claiming they're seeing results instantly make you doubt your own regimen. Funny how they never, ever have any before/after pictures. Do what you think feels right, chances are you'll see more success than people who have somehow tricked themselves into thinking they have insane results 1 month in.

benjt2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're 2 months in mate... Don't let the hypers in this thread claiming they're seeing results instantly make you doubt your own regimen. Funny how they never, ever have any before/after pictures. Do what you think feels right, chances are you'll see more success than people who have somehow tricked themselves into thinking they have insane results 1 month in.
As I said, I analyzed some pictures so as not to rely on other people's statements. The responders who posted photos had at least vellus around 2 months and first noticeable terminal hair around 4 months, a few people even noticeable terminal hair growth around 3 months.

That's why I decided that, if I don't get even new vellus by the time the responders whose photos I could assess got new terminal hair, that either I'm doing something wrong or that it's not working for me.

J0ker

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As I said, I analyzed some pictures so as not to rely on other people's statements. The responders who posted photos had at least vellus around 2 months and first noticeable terminal hair around 4 months, a few people even noticeable terminal hair growth around 3 months.

That's why I decided that, if I don't get even new vellus by the time the responders whose photos I could assess got new terminal hair, that either I'm doing something wrong or that it's not working for me.
I'm interested in the photos you're talking about. The rare occasions a before/after photo has been posted here hasn't been conclusive of much. Hair is longer, sat differently, etc. Of course the person this thread is based on is has shown clear results. I'd be lying if I said I could think of any other photo from someone on this thread that shows anything.

Last edited:

overpourgoodfortune

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Even disclaimers for Minoxidil or Finasteride make no claims about changes prior to a few months.

What would be more interesting prior to that might be (albeit subjective) opinions on how it may be benefiting existing hair ... if at all.

Bill_Russo

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

ToLGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with some of the stuff you are saying.
Yes, I agree 2 months is too early to be afraid of not getting results. I know it "seems" that a lot of people in this thread are seeing results early, but my PERSONAL opinion is that a large minority are actually getting genuine results. The others are just seeing what they want to see by wishful thinking. Yep, 2 months is TOO early and I believe the hope is well justified, but right now the hype is so high that it is causing some some of distortion with the before and after pics. Note that I still believe that most of us will be getting results in the long term (I really hope so), I must clarify this before some of my pals start attacking me and comparing me with that @That Guy dumbass.
And yeah, even then, there might be non-responders who don't get anything at all, but I believe, based on the available data, that total non-responders will be a minority. So please, I beg to those that are allegedly not getting results at 2 month, to keep needling not for 6 months, but at least a year. We need a good sample size for long term needling so we can start to get a clearer picture of the proportion of responders/non responders in the long term. Do not give up, pals, we have good reasons (other users experiences) to suspect that results may come late, be patient, we.just need more data and anecdotes to understand how this works.

ToLGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This thread should be locked right now and re=opened in 6 months when we all have our nw0s back
Lol. I also think we should post before/after pics with a lot of time difference. I once suggested it but many didn't agree. Well, people are free to do what they want. However, besides posting rushed before/after pics a few weeks apart, most of the posts in this thread are incredibly helpful and motivational. It has drawn he attention of lots of people that are now starting to needle and is potentially saving their hair and social life. So I am really happy for the existence of this thread, and by no.means I'd like it to get closed

layabout

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm in minoxidil, finasteride, and Derminator 1.5mm.

If I don't get Norwood(-2) in five months I'm going to go jump out of a helicopter into the Amazonian rainforest section with flesh eating cannibals

hairDespair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How much down time is there with this? If I did on a friday, would I still be dealing with red marks showing on monday?

albert

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with some of the stuff you are saying.
Yes, I agree 2 months is too early to be afraid of not getting results. I know it "seems" that a lot of people in this thread are seeing results early, but my PERSONAL opinion is that a large minority are actually getting genuine results. The others are just seeing what they want to see by wishful thinking. Yep, 2 months is TOO early and I believe the hope is well justified, but right now the hype is so high that it is causing some some of distortion with the before and after pics. Note that I still believe that most of us will be getting results in the long term (I really hope so), I must clarify this before some of my pals start attacking me and comparing me with that @That Guy dumbass.
And yeah, even then, there might be non-responders who don't get anything at all, but I believe, based on the available data, that total non-responders will be a minority. So please, I beg to those that are allegedly not getting results at 2 month, to keep needling not for 6 months, but at least a year. We need a good sample size for long term needling so we can start to get a clearer picture of the proportion of responders/non responders in the long term. Do not give up, pals, we have good reasons (other users experiences) to suspect that results may come late, be patient, we.just need more data and anecdotes to understand how this works.

I mostly agree with you, but it’s possible to see early results if you have a buzzed head and some hairs were alive not so long ago. For me it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever in appearance but if you happen to have baseline pics and a birthmark then it’s really easy to track what’s up (specially if you buzz weekly). But if I had longer hair then it’d be much more difficult (except temples).

That being said yeah, 2 months is indeed a ridiculous timeframe and one should do it for at least 6 months. We have people experimenting with different depth, tools and schedule so it should hopefully help us understand if those factors play any important role.