Very Impressive Dermarolling And Minxodil Results - From Tressless

Hope111

My Regimen
Reaction score
hello, what is the recommended number of needles? I'm going to test it and it has become clear to me to test with 1.5 mm, but there are some that have 300 needles and others 100.

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't see any progress but the length and the horse tail style cut that hides one side of the temples.

mooreu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Clear improvement as evidenced by the thickening of individual hairs and darkening of the hair overall. However it's impossible to say if the benefit is due more to finasteride or dermarolling.

iCloud

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Clear improvement as evidenced by the thickening of individual hairs and darkening of the hair overall. However it's impossible to say if the benefit is due more to finasteride or dermarolling.
It’s also the synergy that is important : minoxidil, microneedling, anti-androgen. This will give you the best results. Microneedling is an important factor in it I believe.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s also the synergy that is important : minoxidil, microneedling, anti-androgen. This will give you the best results. Microneedling is an important factor in it I believe.
Once a week for life, and blood isn't needed or preferred; this is from two years back with the bloody face. People thought that it might have been necessary to draw blood for best results and that might be true but it's messy and unhygienic when done to this extent but it didn't particularly hurt even with the blood.

No pain; no gain. This is or can be a lot of work when trying to first halt the inertia of hair loss and then turn regrowth back on.

Attachments

• 11thGrade.jpg
    11thGrade.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 441
  • Untenable.jpg
    Untenable.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 336
  • Before_16_months2.jpg
    Before_16_months2.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_1883.jpeg
    IMG_1883.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_1773.jpeg
    IMG_1773.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_1893.jpeg
    IMG_1893.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_4612.jpeg
    IMG_4612.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:

Super Metroid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
From all what I've seen, minoxidil/needling combo is by far the biggest factor when it comes to regrowth. Fina and even duta don't do much for most in that regard besides maintenance and thickening of hair.

Is there consensus about how permanent those results are if one would continue that protocol indefinately? I have read that there can be a boost in hair, but around the 2 year mark the results regress. Sometimes back to baseline. Is wounding + minoxidil a solution for the longer term?

5minutesbeforemiracle

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is there consensus about how permanent those results are if one would continue that protocol indefinately? I have read that there can be a boost in hair, but around the 2 year mark the results regress. Sometimes back to baseline. Is wounding + minoxidil a solution for the longer term?
The "consensus" is that you need finasteride if you want to keep results for longer term. minoxidil will give regrowth but won't stop continued loss.
I have read at least one case though of someone who maintained long term on minoxidil only, but I suppose it's quite rare. As an earlier poster mentioned, you want the synergy of combined treatments for best results. Finasteride + minoxidil + dermarolling is best for long-term... if you're too scared for finasteride, supposedly dermarolling + minoxidil has a much longer life for results, compared to minoxidil alone.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is there any reason to microneedle while taking only Oral minoxidil and finasteride? From what I have read microneedling is only for the absorption of liquid minoxidil on the scalp right?
No. It produces minor wounds that promote stem cell revitalization and hair follicle cross-talk potentially in addition to the added absorption of meds. You need sulfurotransferase for minoxidil to work but to my knowledge microneedling doesn't increase sulfurotransferase on it's own. I use substantial retin-A and topical minoxidil and estrogen on my hair and then estrogen and retin-A on my neck but none of us can say much because we all use multiple treatments and there's a huge tension between what I am doing in terms of promoting my own hair growth and my being a data point. So the single shot microneedling folks are very important so people should try different things but the scar relief for me was so amazing and unbelievable that it's clear that it has revitalized my entire scalp of hair. Microneedling and estradiol and then adding oral min have saved me and saved my focus in life. All three I know work very well but I can't prove it except for the scar relief and I have posted pictures of all of those failed plugs from 25 years ago and it's hard to even find them now and many were unproductive to begin with and it's all clean, fresh tissue that is apparently follicle bearing and we used to think that was impossible. HRT and microneedling and oral min are mind-blowing and the entire transformation for me has been almost perfectly androgynous which is exciting and mind-blowing to me as well. I was kind of bored being the other guy balding with the constant five o'clock shadow and hang-dog look all of the time.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
What needle length would help with the fue scars? Thanks for the help! Is 1.5mm too much for the sides of the head?
No. All lengths seem to work great for scar tissue but it might be that as you go along you want slightly longer ones. I tried 2.5mm and that broke and I am using mostly 2.0mm now but also a couple of less deep models. The longer needles work better for longer hair but I have had to start doing it in front of the mirror and not the tv but it will snag if you don't hold the hair down. I am going to focus on the temples now because I can see some scarring and under-productive grafts there. They took hair out to put my transplant in, that's how dumb I was. Never do that. If you aren't bald enough to fit them in, then wait or better don't go forward for others with diffuse thinning.

Seuxin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I stopped needling after 1.5 years @ 1mm each week. I'm on oral dutasteride, Minoxidil along with Adenosine,tretinoine,melatonine.
Saddly, no improvements with my Dr Pen.

Kev123

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Very interesting. And do you experience any side effects? Bad skin, etc?

Also are you using foam or liquid and how many %?
Yes I did experience aging skin, when I overdosed minoxidil (4ml per day). I get “senile spots” on the scalp. When I dropped down the amount I put on my head, the senile spots went away. If I overdose for a few weeks, they come back. I have tested it too, not just guessing it’s minoxidil. It really was minoxidil, personally, that gave me senile spots on the scalp. I spoke about this a long time ago on TBT forums. I was accused of making excuses and that I am just getting older and I should not blame overdosing minoxidil for my aging skin. Well, that was back in 2012 when I was 23. I would feel bad if a 23 year old who is drug free(street drugs) starts getting senile spots on his skin on such a young age.

I use solution. Foam never really worked for me. Not like I wanted.

I have been using 5% at 2ml per night (whole scalp, temple, hairline), every other night. 15% at 2ml (whole scalp, temples) every other night. For a total of 2ml per day. I have been using this for almost 10 years. If I recall correctly, I started 15% back when Dr Lee sold them (iirc). I am not entirely sure why his stuff was so good compared to everyone else, it seems like no 10-15% minoxidil matches his. It’s a bummer he was shut down. His stuff was like a magic hair potion basically (his 15% stuff).

Disclaimer though: I am now back to using dutasteride for, going on 1 month on Aug 22nd, bought myself a dermapen, and will be looking at topical dutasteride as well (giving it a try).

I am also curious about using oral minoxidil at 5mg maybe eod. I fear 10mg side effects.

And yes I am taking pics. Just took my first pic in a long time on July 22nd 2021. I am seeing really good results. I am not ready to show it yet, maybe at the 12 month mark. About seeing good results: So is my wife, who does not know I am treating my hair loss. A coworker recently pointed out that he sees thicker hair. I make sure I tell no one because I want the comments to be genuine and not just people trying to see something that is not there just to cheer me up.

The minoxidil for all these years, the past decade, has saved my hair. I did not realize how much help minoxidil was until I stopped using it cold turkey last September (2020). I was rapidly losing hair after getting off of it after 9 years and a half, and was on nothing else. Only thing that changed was that I dropped the minoxidil (wasn’t taking finasteride or dutasteride either).

Soon as I got back on it (minoxidil), within 2 weeks the re-thickening of existing hair (no new hair yet, to my knowledge), was obvious. I then added dutasteride 0.5 mg everyday to boost it. I am going to start other stuff too, like I said.

Bottom line is, minoxidil works way past 2 years. At least for me. You will find out the hard way once you get off of it and see in a couple of months how your hair starts to fall rapidly.

Kev123

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
PS: I can’t believe it’s 2021 and people are still either largely misinformed about minoxidil, or their being people who still spread around that minoxidil doesn’t work or that it loses it’s efficacy. Just because that was what they experienced.

I think so many people are in denial that some of us do have options that work for us.

It’s like if something is announced as being 5-10 years away, it has so much credibility among hair loss communities. People love the idea. And then present stuff that works NOW, to some degree, gets sh.tted on.

Intrigued77777777

My Regimen
Reaction score
This regrowth is definitely possible and has happened to other people . Remember that 2young guy who butchered his scalp ? He got sick regrowth together with 4-5 other guys that I know off who provided b/a photos.

I have been dermarolling on and off since March 2016. With very good results but regrowth is slow and steady. After the initial thickening in the first couple of weeks it took me almost a year to really see new hairs and now I can leave home without toppik again.

I think the reason why dermarolling didn't gave satisfactional results to most people is because they can't handle the pain or doing it wrong.
And it does hurt like a b**ch and I can only handle the pain after a few good sips of liquor while listening to music and the thought in mind of getting thicker hair.

My dermarolling regiment came with trail and error, what works best for me is :

- always use sharp dermarollers , I do 2 sessions with 1 roller max.
- relax your scalp , a tightened scalp is harder to penetrate with the roller . So wounding is less effective
- also roll the sides and back and all the way until your forehead.
- i roll very hard ( sometimes the barrel with the needles gets loose from the handle , thats how hard i press ) and draw some blood, nothing serious. It stops after a few minutes.
- do not over do it .When i started dermarolling and later picked it up again after a few months break, i started with 8 weekly sessions untill most of the fibrosis disappeared. Then i took a 4 week break and did 6 bi-weekly sessions and now i dermaroll once every 3-4 weeks.

It works great, scalp feels great and fibrosis free and skin is no longer itchy, irritated or oily. I remember before dermarolling my scalp felt very numb to the touch like when i combed my hair . Now it feels alive and healthy.

Unfortunately i dont have photo's nor am i willing to put them online to back my story up. But i have no reason to lie and just wanted to let eveyone know that wounding is a very good treatment if done right

I actually think this wrong. I used to roll my scalp after a bath but now I do it dry and it causes more damage because you're pushing the needles in to harder skin, which will cause more damage (good thing).