Very Impressive Dermarolling And Minxodil Results - From Tressless

Bill_Russo

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Alright people, I'm about to join the microneedling train! But I gotta couple questions.
I've seen Dr. Pen dermapens on Ebay for like $30, coming from China too. Are those legit? Has anyone bought 'em?

charlie76761

Established Member
Reaction score
I think he waits 24 hours before applying minoxidil, surely the wounds would have healed by then and stopped it going anymore systematic than applying without dermarolling? Im currently taking 10mg of oral minoxidil and wounding every week.

Interestingly, after a good thorough needling, i applied my normal dose of Estriol, 17 alpha estradiol and equol to my scalp - i normally feel a bit groggy /
Alright people, I'm about to join the microneedling train! But I gotta couple questions.
I've seen Dr. Pen dermapens on Ebay for like $30, coming from China too. Are those legit? Has anyone bought 'em?

i got one from Amazon for not too much more. Lots of positive reviews on there - dont recall anyone complaining about the quality after a few months.

Worked a treat when i used it - really quite smooth. Pen feels robust.

The actual mechanical action is relatively straight fwd and i cant imagine the parts would be all that expensive. I'm guessing battery is probably not the best, but def covers a session.

i'd give it a try.

One thing... let me setup an amazon store and send you a link, actually, hold that idea :)

keepit

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Right, round one complete! See photo

Got stuck in with a Dr Pen on 2.0mm and was relatively ok. Pain was was manageable and was more towards the enjaoyable / it’s a challenge end of the spectrum. Get’s the adrenalin pumping. In fact on the lower back crown, it’s actually felt quite nice and soothing.

Stopped about an inch short of the hairline as was worried about shock loss or similar, plus I’m not too bad there.

Happy to report that seemed to be no immediate loss what so ever from the needles which was a concern for me. They seem to be too small for hair to get tangled up in them and yanked out. Could only see 4 or 5 hairs on my pillow this morning.

Followed up with my topical of equol, estriol, 17-alpha estradiol, hydralazine and tofacitinib. Hoping the needling is positive and so can start to slowly drop the chems.

Also did a pass over the face with 1.00mm with vit c and hydraulic acid serum... Got the pen, so why not!

Will repeat in 10 days. Will keep photo logs going fwd.
Any blood spots after this session

bigjimmy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I used my Derminator 2 for the first time today, it's probably not necessary to get one over a pen, but what a difference in power and it feels so much smoother.

DAVAT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Right, round one complete! See photo

Got stuck in with a Dr Pen on 2.0mm and was relatively ok. Pain was was manageable and was more towards the enjaoyable / it’s a challenge end of the spectrum. Get’s the adrenalin pumping. In fact on the lower back crown, it’s actually felt quite nice and soothing.

Stopped about an inch short of the hairline as was worried about shock loss or similar, plus I’m not too bad there.

Happy to report that seemed to be no immediate loss what so ever from the needles which was a concern for me. They seem to be too small for hair to get tangled up in them and yanked out. Could only see 4 or 5 hairs on my pillow this morning.

Followed up with my topical of equol, estriol, 17-alpha estradiol, hydralazine and tofacitinib. Hoping the needling is positive and so can start to slowly drop the chems.

Also did a pass over the face with 1.00mm with vit c and hydraulic acid serum... Got the pen, so why not!

Will repeat in 10 days. Will keep photo logs going fwd.

Was it the 12 pin Dr pen you went with? I'm just trying to choose a dermapen now

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just going on the fact this thread was about 2.0mm derma pen
The thickness of scalp is diferent among us, then the suitable lenght of the pen is related to the thickness of our scalp dermis.

I would also be worried about at what point microneedling might go from normal tissue healing and growth to fibrosis.
Microneedling is not a life treatment, only used when we want the growth of new hairs, constanly wounding our scalp is not aceptable

wounding is not about the blood flow per se, it’s about the body’s mechanism of healing and the wound healing factors that it produces in response to the trauma created
I remember comments from people who had hair growth when they suffered a continuous stimulus, like those who worked carrying ice bars on their shoulders. Sadly, all these cases refer to body hair.

I don't think it's best to continue wounding your scalp every week for the rest of your life
I am with you

whenever i dermaroll, the next morning i wake up with my scalp oozing some clear puss like fluid. only in one spot on the crown of my head. this happen to anyone else?
Interesting, maybe oxidized sebum?

ButWhyTho

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think that's unlikely. First of all, he had been using Minoxidil for years without any improvement before starting the microneedling procedures. Second, he did not apply Minoxidil right after the needling session. I doubt that absorption is still much improved a day after the wounding.

Oh I guess I didn't read OPs entire post.
Well that's good then hopefully this is a new therapy people can start including in their hair treatment.
OPs result are just really intense, hopefully others can duplicate.

kashmoney

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Figured I'd share these pics with you guys. This is from earlier this year end of Janury to end of May on finasteride, minoxidil, and dermarolling. First two pics are from January. First is wet hair second is dry. Up until this point I'd only been using finasteride for about 9 months. Maintained very well but got very little regrowth. End of January(when these pics were taken) is when I added minoxidil. Started dermarolling about a month later, every week 1.5 mm with a Dr. Pen. Didn't apply minoxidil for 24 hours after. The last two pics are end of May. Third pic is wet and last is dry. Def made huge gains primarily from minoxidil and dermarolling
2E1F0A4D-65B6-4B27-8C49-F532503CEA7E.jpeg
618024CE-CF41-4CEC-A895-D4C07CCD61F1.jpeg
82C2DA74-C769-418F-BC2C-B956337DECD0.jpeg
420708D1-0267-4BD6-B9C1-E32622620F05.jpeg

bigjimmy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
U used both. Derminator def worth the money? How does your scalp feel after you ised the derminator compared to that pen?

I used the pen once, then decided to invest in the derminator.
It definitely feels a lot better using the derminator.

From what I’ve read the pens are powered by a battery similar to what’s used in something like an electric toothbrush. You can notice the power difference in the derminator battery and it seems more precise .

If it works it will be worth the cash. It is recommended by the majority of people on the acne/skin forums who switched over from pens.

I used it at 2.25mm and I was bearable, after using an electronic device I would never consider using one of them cheap sh*t rollers again, I had a 1.5mm roller and it was brutal, I can see why some say it shreds the scalp.

Last edited:

kashmoney

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I used the pen once, then decided to invest in the derminator.
It definitely feels a lot better using the derminator.

From what I’ve read the pens are powered by a battery similar to what’s used in something like an electric toothbrush. You can notice the power difference in the derminator battery and it seems more precise .

If it works it will be worth the cash. It is recommended by the majority of people on the acne/skin forums who switched over from pens.

I used it at 2.25mm and I was bearable, after using an electronic device I would never consider using one of them cheap sh*t rollers again, I had a 1.5mm roller and it was brutal, I can see why some say it shreds the scalp.

How is the pain with a derminator compared to a pen? Do you feel like you can more thoroughly wound with the derminator?

bigjimmy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How is the pain with a derminator compared to a pen? Do you feel like you can more thoroughly wound with the derminator?

Yes, you can feel the pen drag a little and the derminator seems to wound more accurately, you can also set the speed you want.

Pain is minimal.

I thought it was all maybe marketing BS, but it's a quality piece of equipment.

hairloss_user

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Been like 17 days since I started. I started it with a buzzcut , but it kind of feels like it's gotten thicker. Can't wait to see what it looks like when it grows out more.

Btw are you guys planning to take a break after the 3 months?

Last edited:

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
I used the Derminator last night at 1.5mm. It was les painful to me than my dermaroller. However, at one point, I think I pushed down too hard and it stuck in my scalp for a second leaving a red patch in that spot as I moved it away. But it didn't seem to ooze blood like you can get with my 1mm dermaroller. I find needling the back of crown to be quite painless but increases noticeably from the vertex to the frontal area. Next, I'll apply topical min, finasteride, aa, tretinoin, hydrocortisone, bimatoprost topical (aka Promox) in 24 hrs.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Figured I'd share these pics with you guys. This is from earlier this year end of Janury to end of May on finasteride, minoxidil, and dermarolling. First two pics are from January. First is wet hair second is dry. Up until this point I'd only been using finasteride for about 9 months. Maintained very well but got very little regrowth. End of January(when these pics were taken) is when I added minoxidil. Started dermarolling about a month later, every week 1.5 mm with a Dr. Pen. Didn't apply minoxidil for 24 hours after. The last two pics are end of May. Third pic is wet and last is dry. Def made huge gains primarily from minoxidil and dermarolling
View attachment 103209
View attachment 103210
View attachment 103211
View attachment 103212

Did you noticed any change in body hair?

Heat06

Established Member
Reaction score
Anybody noticing their skin peeling or flaking 4-7 days after using the dermapen? My temple areas are definitely shedding skin since this was the area I was pretty aggressive on when dermarolling. I assume it’s just healing. Not sure if this has happened to anybody else.