Very Impressive Dermarolling And Minxodil Results - From Tressless

Francesco17

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Should I disinfect new needles as well before using them just to be on the safe side?

Derminator 2 + 10 cartridges already came in the mail today, I ordered it literally 4 days ago and expected to be waiting 2 months. Nervous as f*** right now.
I'd say, yes, when in doubt always disinfect just in case

Dogma

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just did my fifth session, done once a week with a derma pen 2 mm (dr. Pen) I have used the 12 needle head, and the 36 needles once. I have noticed a bit more shedding, and I just got my haircut and my stylist said my hair was a little thinner but he attributed it to the time of year. I have a few questions if any of you could help:
1. Are 36 needles too many?
2. In the first month of wounding is it normal to have increased shedding, which leads to your hair being a little bit thinner ( it seems with all successful hair loss treatments there is an initial period of shedding so I’m not too worried just yet, but we all understand how troubling shedding can be )?
3. The following day after a hard wounding session is it normal to have the red skin subside but to have a few small scabs in the areas you puncture hardest (they are gone completely three days after?).

I have seen multiple case studies it seems that wounding is extremely affected, especially for men that does benefit from the traditional treatments, and using a roller versus the pen is night and day but it is clearly a lot more damaging to the skin ( obviously that is the point, I just wonder if you can be too aggressive with the wounding) and I never would’ve used a 2 mm roller, but it seems that that is what most people are using with the pens.

keepit

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just did my fifth session, done once a week with a derma pen 2 mm (dr. Pen) I have used the 12 needle head, and the 36 needles once. I have noticed a bit more shedding, and I just got my haircut and my stylist said my hair was a little thinner but he attributed it to the time of year. I have a few questions if any of you could help:
1. Are 36 needles too many?
2. In the first month of wounding is it normal to have increased shedding, which leads to your hair being a little bit thinner ( it seems with all successful hair loss treatments there is an initial period of shedding so I’m not too worried just yet, but we all understand how troubling shedding can be )?
3. The following day after a hard wounding session is it normal to have the red skin subside but to have a few small scabs in the areas you puncture hardest (they are gone completely three days after?).

I have seen multiple case studies it seems that wounding is extremely affected, especially for men that does benefit from the traditional treatments, and using a roller versus the pen is night and day but it is clearly a lot more damaging to the skin ( obviously that is the point, I just wonder if you can be too aggressive with the wounding) and I never would’ve used a 2 mm roller, but it seems that that is what most people are using with the pens.
I'm on the same timeline as you once a week Dr pen ..scalp is red for 2 days get small red scabs too..usually get light flaking after 5 days, hair went through a shed I think cause I can see thinning scalp on my crown more clearly.hopefully things will improve next Month

WMQ

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Saw some vellus growth within a month or so. It was recent loss, and I was already on finasteride/minoxidil.

Started at maybe advanced NW3... scary "shave it bro" time. Thought wounding was insane, but out of desperation got a Derminator and started 1.0mm every 2 weeks. Took about a year but recovered to maybe a little beyond NW2.5. Progress seemed to be slowing down so then added RU 7.5% 1x/day and maybe 10 days or so later could feel a rough sandpaper feeling on the temples. Experimented with stronger antiandrogens, got much faster growth but side effects. Eventually went back to original RU regimen.

Hard to say what needling routine was best, but it kind of seemed like 2.0mm every 2.5 weeks was the sweet spot. Really painful though, needed lidocaine for 2.0mm.

Stopped needling 6 months ago (2 years total). Recovered to around NW2 widow's peak + thin temples, which I'm comfortable enough with, so kind of lost the motivation. This thread is kind of motivating though.
What was your previous hairloss history though? Were you maintaning with finasteride minoxidil? Slowly losing ground? Or were you gaining from them when starting needling?

WMQ

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
By returning back to baseline, yes i do mean that im losing that little boost dermarolling gave me.

About how permanent gains are, all i can say is that the new vellus hair it gave me never developed in terminal hairs and eventually did fall out. I do believe that my hair would be in a much worse state now if i didn't begin dermarolling, and generally my scalp feels a lot more healthy. Overall i consider it a good addition to my regime.

@MinervaCGI
I remember your previous post mate. You are a nw1 no doubt even before needling. You have decent skull structure and I don't think your hairline will ever be too bad.

Putting aside the loss of mild hairline gain, did needling increase your overall thickness? If so did you still keep those? Also remember you said that needling reduced your shedding. Does it still do that? Cheers mate

Dogma

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm on the same timeline as you once a week Dr pen ..scalp is red for 2 days get small red scabs too..usually get light flaking after 5 days, hair went through a shed I think cause I can see thinning scalp on my crown more clearly.hopefully things will improve next Month
That sounds a bit more intense than what happens to my scalp, I do it in the early afternoon and by the next morning my scalp is no longer red but I do have small scabs around the areas I punctured hardest, but I have the shower the next day and they are gone. I also haven’t been dealing with any flaking.

The one case study I read said that the patient’s saw benefits after eight sessions.

layabout

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Holy f***.

Derminator is WELL WORTH the money. What a f*****g machine.

Literally did my entire scalp in like four minutes, achieving optimal redness and prick density.

Then I did my face with .5mm and put some vit A ointment on ... skin is glowing holy f***

Also, 1.5mm does not hurt. Can't believe people use numbing cream for anything under 2mm :D

Literally no pain whatsoever

infinitepain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What's the best dermapen for hairloss? The new Derminator?

I really want to get into this, however im concerned increased inflammation will actually cause even more loss... im also concerned with keeping the wounds clean and keeping the device clean to avoid infections. How do you guys do it exactly?

Im definitely not trying a dermaroller, looks like they do unnecessary damage?

Dermapen-vs-Dermaroller.jpg

The only downside I see is that it may take a ton of time to complete the entire scalp on such a small surface that dermapens cover compared to rollers but if it will avoid unnecessary inflammation for the same results it seems like it's pretty stupid to use a roller.

layabout

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What's the best dermapen for hairloss? The new Derminator?

I really want to get into this, however im concerned increased inflammation will actually cause even more loss... im also concerned with keeping the wounds clean and keeping the device clean to avoid infections. How do you guys do it exactly?

Im definitely not trying a dermaroller, looks like they do unnecessary damage?

View attachment 107365

The only downside I see is that it may take a ton of time to complete the entire scalp on such a small surface that dermapens cover compared to rollers but if it will avoid unnecessary inflammation for the same results it seems like it's pretty stupid to use a roller.

I can vouch for the Derminator. It's a solid machine and practically indestructible tbh

Also the only part you need to clean is the needle cartridge if you intend to reuse it many times. I made a Chloramine-T solution and use that as a disinfectant for the needles.

infinitepain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I can vouch for the Derminator. It's a solid machine and practically indestructible tbh

Also the only part you need to clean is the needle cartridge if you intend to reuse it many times. I made a Chloramine-T solution and use that as a disinfectant for the needles.

Have you seen any improvements? do you apply it before or after shower? how do you clean any resulting blood? also is there any commercial product to clean it? can I just order alcohol solution at the pharmacy and spray alcohol in it and let it dry? perhaps put it on one of those UV sanitizer boxes as well.

Holy f***.

Literally did my entire scalp in like four minutes, achieving optimal redness and prick density.

Then I did my face with .5mm and put some vit A ointment on ... skin is glowing holy f***

Also, 1.5mm does not hurt. Can't believe people use numbing cream for anything under 2mm :D

Do you recommend it on the face too? im a bit scared to do it on my face. My mom was asking for some creans to improve dry face as well, so could she use one of the needless I guess. But I would need vit A too?

layabout

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you seen any improvements? do you apply it before or after shower? how do you clean any resulting blood? also is there any commercial product to clean it? can I just order alcohol solution at the pharmacy and spray alcohol in it and let it dry? perhaps put it on one of those UV sanitizer boxes as well.

Do you recommend it on the face too? im a bit scared to do it on my face. My mom was asking for some creans to improve dry face as well, so could she use one of the needless I guess. But I would need vit A too?

Well, yes. Dermaneedling is pretty much just for your face. We use it to wound our scalps too because it's a convenient wounding method to trigger WIFN. You could clean the needles with ethanol alcohol I suppose, although the instruction manual cautions against it. Yes, I've seen improvements but from dermarolling... since I only got the Derminator recently but have been dermarolling for close to a month. Also, I have never bled. My head gets really red, but I've never actually bled.. just tiny drops here and there but never full on bleeding.

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
Holy f***.

I was like you on 1.5mm for three weeks. Then on week 4 I did 1.75mm and then on week 5 (today) I did 12 needle with 2mm and it hurt like a mother f****r.

But no pain no gain. Can you try 2mm and let me know.

Last edited:

MinervaCGI

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My dermapen arrived today. f*****g amazing!

They said to expect it on 2019-01-03 and it came today almost 2 weeks earlier.

I was already dreading rolling with a roller for my 3rd session Saturday but this is f*****g great news.

MinervaCGI

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly my hair has to be getting thicker, can't just be longer hair. Everytime I look in the mirror, the scalp is getting less and less see through.

Congrats!

I also saw the same. I remember the first time I quit I was so pissed because I thought it wasn't working and the pain wasn't worth it but f*** the scalp was thick and much less see through and so easy to style and then when I dropped both minoxidil and dermarolling(like an idiot. atleast keep applying minoxidil) it all went away and the hair was sh*t, thin, see through, laying flat, no volume, low health.

You are definitely seeing results. Keep going!

stillwaters

Reaction score
I've been rolling for about 3 weeks. I am pretty much bald, but have some terminals above my temples. I've seen a few new terminals grow, they aren't as thick or growing as quickly as the originals, but they have some pigmentation and stand up straight.

During my last dermarolling session, it looked like the areas with less hair were more resilient and took more effort before they began to redden and even bleed. Anyone else notice this?

MinervaCGI

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been rolling for about 3 weeks. I am pretty much bald, but have some terminals above my temples. I've seen a few new terminals grow, they aren't as thick or growing as quickly as the originals, but they have some pigmentation and stand up straight.

During my last dermarolling session, it looked like the areas with less hair were more resilient and took more effort before they began to redden and even bleed. Anyone else notice this?

Yes, I don't like it when people here call them vellus. This is what I would call "in-between" hair. You are seeing slow but sure re-growth that will take some cycles to thicken them up.

d3nt3dsh0v3l

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Screenshot_20181221-022102_Dropbox.jpg

Attachments

• Derminator-instructions.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 504

Notreallyhere

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Holy f***.

yea i thought myn wasn't working no pain at 1.5 Can feel 2.0 a bit but its no where near what people were saying pain wise ,you do medium or high? high feels like it sticking to my scalp and sound is scary think med is prob doing 36 holes a second cant guess high puncture rate at all.