Verteporfin drug induced scarless healing with new hair follicles on mice. This new founding can be really big

BalderBaldyBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you!!! What the f*** is wrong with these people

Nah man, you are wrong

Photodynamic therapy for the treatment of hair loss​

First filled in 2003

Been around for twenty years, like Follica's patent which is trying to do exactly the same thing with a different protocol
Cotsarelis has been working on it since late 90's

You can find plenty of studies on it
Another 5 years

Tom4362

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nah man, you are wrong

First filled in 2003

Been around for twenty years, like Follica's patent which is trying to do exactly the same thing with a different protocol

Another 5 years
So where exactly is stated that they used Verteporfin? You are unable to read it seems

stressftw

Established Member
Reaction score
Nah man, you are wrong

First filled in 2003

Another 5 years
Scarless healing is being studied and targeted for decades.
Follica patent cant achieve scarless healing, and probably never will. Like Cotsarellis and alot of other papers and researchers and technologies that failed..
The study u mentioned never went out from papers, unfortunately.

All this you mentioned has nothing to do with Verteporfin discovery, its mechanisms and how benefitial it can be

stressftw

Established Member
Reaction score
  • The research paper [1] describes the mechanisms of scar formation in skin and a simple procedure to achieve full skin regeneration using a very safe FDA approved drug, Verteporfin. Full skin regeneration here refers to skin indistinguishable from normal skin with all the dermal appendages, including hair follicles. According to the paper, Verteporfin works by preventing a type of skin cell (ENF) from giving rise to another type of skin cell (EPF) that causes scarring during wound healing. The way it does this is by blocking mechanotransduction signaling, i.e. the ability of cells to sense mechanical forces.
  • The studies were conducted on mice, but according to this article from The New York Times [2], it also works on pigs. Quoting from the article:
    "The study involved mice, but the researchers, Dr. Michael Longaker, Stanford’s vice chair of surgery, and Geoffrey Gurtner, Stanford’s vice president of surgery for innovation, have now moved on to pigs, whose skin is closest to that of humans. With these new subjects, the surgeons made an incision as wide as a thumb and five inches long. When they sutured the cut and injected Verteporfin around the edge, there was dramatically less scarring."

• The procedure on mice was, first, create a wound using a skin biopsy punch around 4mm in diameter. After wounding, inject 30 μL of Verteporfin (1 mg/mL) [3] around the edges of the wound. Relevant here is that repeated injections on day 4, 8 and 12 didn't improve outcomes and had detrimental effects. A single injection after wounding worked best. The results were, control wounds: hairless scars; treated wounds: substantial hair growth by 30 days and indistinguishable from normal skin by 90 days.

Last edited:

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
  • moved on to pigs, whose skin is closest to that of humans. With these new subjects, the surgeons made an incision as wide as a thumb and five inches long. When they sutured the cut and injected Verteporfin around the edge, there was dramatically less scarring."
Sounds good, but not quite like the mice. How long has it been?

stressftw

Established Member
Reaction score
Sounds good, but not quite like the mice. How long has it been?
The "dramatically less scarring" part is something kinda revealing and very subjective here.
Good that it does have very positive outcome on pigs, but there is a distant line between scarless healing and LESS scarring
These discoveries about verteporfin have three weeks to one month now

Last edited:

jake_b

Established Member
Reaction score
Came here to post this same article, happy the discussion is already happening. I would love to try this along with microneedling.

We know that microscopic scarring is part of what miniturizes hair follicles, so it's possible that something like this could prevent progression if not actually regrow hair.

As a complete shot in the dark, verteporfin is part of the porphyrin chemical family, of which there are other members, most notably chlorophyll. Obviously verteporfin would be the thing to try, but i'm not opposed to adding liquid chlorophyll to my microneedling.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
We know that microscopic scarring is part of what miniturizes hair follicles, so it's possible that something like this could prevent progression if not actually regrow hair.
No, we don't know that. We know the opposite in fact. Fibrosis does not happen until after miniaturization.

-specter-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I very much hope in this research, long ago I had heard of the Healers of Sardinia / Healers of Sardinia, apparently these people would be able to create infusions with local herbs, apparently this infusion would be able to heal a burn or a wound without scars, there have been reports of burned people who, once healed, also regrow their hair. From what I have heard these people would be able to eliminate even old scars by first burning them with acid substances and then applying this decoction on the wound. Initially I thought that these were just legends but apparently there are various testimonies and even some pharmaceutical companies have taken an interest even if they have not concluded anything. With this I think that then these testimonies could validate the effectiveness of this drug and that the results that those people on the Italian island would have obtained could be explained by the functioning of this drug.

stressftw

Established Member
Reaction score
" By inhibiting the activation of Engrailed-1 (En1) in fibroblasts , the skin wounds of mice no longer form scars, but heal through regeneration, so that the skin restores normal hair follicles and glands, extracellular matrix and mechanical strength."

"Skin wounds are usually healed by scars. After the wound appears, fibroblasts expressing Engrailed-1 (En1) protein quickly move to the wound site, deposit and block the extracellular matrix, and form scars while healing the wound."

1. Scar skin lacks hair follicles, sebaceous glands and other skin accessories;

2. Scar skin contains dense, parallel extracellular matrix fibers;

3. Due to this matrix structure change, scar skin lacks the flexibility and strength of normal skin.

Only by solving the above three differences, restoring hair follicles, sebaceous glands and other skin attachments, rebuilding normal extracellular matrix structure, and restoring normal skin flexibility and strength, can this be considered a successful scar repair therapy.

Previous studies have known, scarring from wounds healing expression Engrailed-. 1 (En1) protein in fibroblasts , the scar is from the uninjured site to amplify En1 positive fibroblasts, or may be from the wound to the environment En1 Activation of negative fibroblasts.

The research team used fibroblast cell transplantation and transgenic mouse models to track En1 expression. The response of fibroblasts to mechanical forces in vitro and in vivo was also studied to establish a mechanical transduction mechanism that links skin tension with En1 expression.

Finally, verteporfin was used to inhibit the YAP gene, or knock down the YAP gene to regulate the expression of En1 during wound healing, and through RNA sequencing, quantitative histopathological comparison and mechanical strength testing, the experimental wound, uninjured skin and scar skin Make a comparison.

Fibroblast transplantation and lineage tracking studies have shown that En1 negative fibroblasts (ENF) in the deep dermal tissue activate En1 expression in the wound environment, producing about 40% to 50% scar fibroblasts. By inhibiting the YAP gene or knocking down the YAP gene by chemical inhibitors, En1 negative fibroblasts (ENF) will not activate En1.

In the wound process, the use of verteporfin to inhibit the YAP gene will block the activation of En1 and promote ENF-mediated repair, restore skin function within 30 days, and restore functional hair follicles and sebaceous glands.

The quantitative comparison of scars and regenerated skin shows that inhibition of YAP can induce normal skin ultrastructure recovery, thereby restoring normal skin mechanical strength.

The study also found that the use of diphtheria toxin to eliminate En1 positive fibroblasts, similar to knocking down the YAP gene of fibroblasts, promotes the restoration of normal skin structure. This indicates that the activation of En1 can be regulated directly or indirectly. Promote wound regeneration and inhibit the appearance of scars.

Another thing to add; Patents on Verteporfin have all expired so anyone can manufacture it. There are manufacturers selling >99% purity Verteporfin at better prices for research purposes, but they don't sell to patients.

Attachments

• vertep.jpeg
    vertep.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 109
  • vertp2.jpeg
    vertp2.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

stressftw

Established Member
Reaction score
So now instead of using microneeling device we need macroneedling device + verteporfin
Not sure about this
Micro-needling induce wound indeed, wounding can induce hair? Yes it does, but micro-wounding via needling doesnt replace the skin appendage entirely.
Which means, micro-needling isnt capable of removing tissue, only remodeling, this maybe limits the benefits of the effects of verteporfin

The best way to attest verteporfin efficacy, is creating an wound margin that would certainly turn into a scar, no need to be a big one, but a 2mm to 3mm, and see if the area would heal scarlessly and produce hairs. (a punch excision of 2 to 3mm come to mind)

OF course, compared to what we have NOW, micro-needling and verteporfin can yield good results, but there are better ways to extract its potentials

Another factor that limits it; Dont forget that Verteporfin is expensive as f***.

Last edited:

jan_miezda

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not sure about this
Micro-needling induce wound indeed, wounding can induce hair? Yes it does, but micro-wounding via needling doesnt replace the skin appendage entirely.
Which means, micro-needling isnt capable of removing tissue, only remodeling, this maybe limits the benefits of the effects of verteporfin

The best way to attest verteporfin efficacy, is creating an wound margin that would certainly turn into a scar, no need to be a big one, but a 2mm to 3mm, and see if the area would heal scarlessly and produce hairs. (a punch excision of 2 to 3mm come to mind)

OF course, compared to what we have NOW, micro-needling and verteporfin can yield good results, but there are better ways to extract its potentials

Another factor that limits it; Dont forget that Verteporfin is expensive as f***.

maybe this will be a form of scarless smart hair transplant. Like multiplication it can give much more grafts for transplantation if it’s applied to donor areas and yields hairs

joaopassos4444

My Regimen
Reaction score
Guys are we missing the point that every single day there are thousands of people that fall or have accidents and break their head and need stiches. I have a few and some nasty looking scars from my youger years. Why don't simply applying verteporfin in the wound when stiching and see what happens? Forget about DHT and baldness. Just to see if it works.

Roeysdomi

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Guys are we missing the point that every single day there are thousands of people that fall or have accidents and break their head and need stiches. I have a few and some nasty looking scars from my youger years. Why don't simply applying verteporfin in the wound when stiching and see what happens? Forget about DHT and baldness. Just to see if it works.
Cuz its cost 2k per treatment. And its not somthing you can buy from your local pharmcy

stressftw

Established Member
Reaction score
I believe that if you just apply it on an already existent scar superficially maybe will not grant its effects
A cream/gel can probably work on prevention

U have to literally remove surgically the scar by excising it, excising a entire scar tissue requires a professional, then, u need to inject verteporfin to the scar borders and wait 90 days to see what will happen.

Only a doctor/surgeon/dermatologist with access to this drug could have the capability of testing it on himself..

"Longaker and Gurtner set out to study a pathway that leads to scar formation in mice and discovered that a pre-existing drug called verteporfin was able to block it. The drug is currently used as an intravenous injection to treat macular degeneration, a condition that causes vision loss. By adding the drug to a gel and placing it on skin wounds, the researchers found that it could prevent scars from forming in mice with skin incisions.

They are now testing the medication in pigs, which have skin that is more similar to humans, and have received an NIH grant to run a clinical trial with human burn victims over the next few years".

Lol at how fucked up things are. We have a real chance to be facing a real solution for so many problems, but clinical trials for a drug with safety efficacy that is already on the market can take literally years to be approved.. What a joke.

Chads don't bald

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
but clinical trials for a drug with safety efficacy that is already on the market can take literally years to be approved.. What a joke.
I hope China or some other place with less regulation goes forward with trials using verteporfin. Regulation in the US is holding us back

joaopassos4444

My Regimen
Reaction score
I believe that if you just apply it on an already existent scar superficially maybe will not grant its effects
A cream/gel can probably work on prevention

U have to literally remove surgically the scar by excising it, excising a entire scar tissue requires a professional, then, u need to inject verteporfin to the scar borders and wait 90 days to see what will happen.

Only a doctor/surgeon/dermatologist with access to this drug could have the capability of testing it on himself..

"Longaker and Gurtner set out to study a pathway that leads to scar formation in mice and discovered that a pre-existing drug called verteporfin was able to block it. The drug is currently used as an intravenous injection to treat macular degeneration, a condition that causes vision loss. By adding the drug to a gel and placing it on skin wounds, the researchers found that it could prevent scars from forming in mice with skin incisions.

They are now testing the medication in pigs, which have skin that is more similar to humans, and have received an NIH grant to run a clinical trial with human burn victims over the next few years".

Lol at how fucked up things are. We have a real chance to be facing a real solution for so many problems, but clinical trials for a drug with safety efficacy that is already on the market can take literally years to be approved.. What a joke.
We need to take actions on our own!!