VEGF and its receptor may be molecular mechanism for Androgenetic Alopecia

bornthisway

Established Member
Reaction score
Vascular endothelial growth factor and its receptor may be one molecular mechanism for androgenetic alopecia.

Med Hypotheses. 2008 Nov 14.
Li W, Li C, Lu Z.

Department of Dermatology, The Second Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310009, PR China.

PDF

el_duterino

Reaction score
JLL said:
Asiasari radix extract seems to grow hair in mice in human skin cells.

The authors of this study also mention VEGF upregulation as one mechanism of inducing hair growth. Asiasari radix extract more than doubled VEGF levels in human dermal papilla cells.

Cool ! worth a try. 500g of the powder extract of this plant costs 8000 Yen which is about USD 90..that should last a few years a on a 1% topical.
I am going to make into a topical and try it on my hairline.

http://www.kanpoyaku-nakaya.com/saisin.html

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
Nice, I didn't know they sold it. I'll have to update my post. Thanks!

el_duterino

Reaction score
I did some more research on VEGF to look for possible side effects before ordereing the extract.
It seems that inhibiting VEGF is one of the treatmenet of several type of cancer.
If increasing VEGF causes to create a lot more new blood vessels, perhaps it could cause or speed up some type of cancers (skin etc..)..
In this context, I am not sure if this is safe for long-term topical application. Any thoughs ?

oyo

Established Member
Reaction score
You could use nicotine lozenges. I believe they upregulate or activate VEGF. I use them to concentrate at work.

JLL

Established Member
Reaction score
el_duterino said:
I did some more research on VEGF to look for possible side effects before ordereing the extract.
It seems that inhibiting VEGF is one of the treatmenet of several type of cancer.
If increasing VEGF causes to create a lot more new blood vessels, perhaps it could cause or speed up some type of cancers (skin etc..)..
In this context, I am not sure if this is safe for long-term topical application. Any thoughs ?

Yes, if you have cancer, inhibiting VEGF seems to be a good idea, since it means less angiogenesis. Angiogenesis itself is not bad, however. Exercise for example increases angiogenesis.

I've not seen any evidence that increasing VEGF itself would cause cancer, since exercise apparently increases VEGF, and exercise usually correlates with less cancer.

It is something to keep an eye on, though.

el_duterino

Reaction score
i received my Asiasari radix root powder this week-end. brown fine powder that smells like curry powder.
i am making the extract pretty much like they described it in another of those korean patent based on that same research, using ethanol. this will take a week..then I will have 300ml of that extract avaialable to start bumping the VEGF up.

goata007

Established Member
Reaction score
el_duterino, I just noticed that you are 41 and NW1, even though you started losing hair at 27. Has your hairloss been very slow? or did you get good regrowth from drugs?

el_duterino

Reaction score
goata007 said:
el_duterino, I just noticed that you are 41 and NW1, even though you started losing hair at 27. Has your hairloss been very slow? or did you get good regrowth from drugs?

i got very good results on anti-androgenic drugs since the start..finasteride for the first 6 years, then dutasteride etc.. i started to thin quite aggressively at age 30..

anyone who sees photos of me at age 30 always comment that i have better hair now.
Before starting finasteride my hair were very thin in diameter, with little pigmentation (almost blond - i have light brown hair) and scalp was cleary visible all over the top but follicles were still somehow healthy that's why it worked so well. if i had waited 1 or 2 more years it could have been too late to maintaint to NW1 by now.

I never got regrowth in the sense that new hair shafts appeared over totally bald areas. Exisiting vellus/thin hair got very thick..giving the impression that hairline is lowered etc..
I was lucky propecia just got released on the market at that time in 97-98..i did not know about proscar back then.

el_duterino

Reaction score
Hey guys..call me El Rodento !

The first human Asiasari Radix topical hairloss experiment has started..I am using this EOD at my hairline.
this is week 1..

CCS

Reaction score
el_duterino said:

combine it with EGCG.
I think this has a similar effect to minoxidil, this topical you want to get. Minoxidil expands blood vessels, but may work in other ways. I actually think they found how it works, but I forgot.

CCS

Reaction score
el_duterino said:
Hey guys..call me El Rodento !

The first human Asiasari Radix topical hairloss experiment has started..I am using this EOD at my hairline.
this is week 1..

Just use it on one side so you can compare to your other side.

el_duterino

Reaction score
CCS said:
combine it with EGCG.
I think this has a similar effect to minoxidil, this topical you want to get. Minoxidil expands blood vessels, but may work in other ways. I actually think they found how it works, but I forgot.

Good idea but if I do that now, it will be hard to evaluate the effectiveness of the Asiasari Radix itself. Greentea extract does work ont the androgenic side of things..which I already cover pretty well in my regimen. I wanted to act on the VEGF angle alone this time.
Once effectiveness has been proven, I might add the green tea.
In any case, both extracts are very cheap and safe.

neis

Established Member
Reaction score
el_duterino,

How is your Asiasari Radix experiment working for you?
Has it given you any regrowth?
I am interested if it gives any regrowth.

From a website:
"Among the tested plant extracts from the Oriental Medical College of Daejeon University, in Korea, the extract of Asiasari radix showed the most potent hair growth stimulation."

Here's another link that I found:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1586 ... t=Abstract