Using Toppik The Right Way With No Worries

g.i joey

Reaction score
So ive played around with Toppik about a total of 10-12 times whenever i have a big social event or a date i throw a little in... What i was always skeptical about was if i were to get in bed with someone with toppik in my hair or if it rained, i woldnt want black smudges dripping down my face. Personally ive found the best way to apply toppik while gaining the illusion of density and making your hair look overall better.

what i do when i wanna apply toppik is towel dry my hair fresh out of a shower. I then sprinkle a bit of toppik all around my head, mostly my hairline and pat it down and let it sit for maybe 2-3 minutes. After that i blow dry my hair into position and style it.. Density always looks wayyy better, i can run my hands through my hair with no black smudges or anything and have slept with it in my hair while having white pillow sheets, no marks or nothing.

i really dont know if this is general consensus, but this method really puts my mind at ease when i do have Toppik in my hair so i thought id share :)

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been using Toppik and have found no issues with the rain - in fact I've been often caught in showers (I'm in the UK!) and it holds fine and nothing is left on your face. The pillow is different and there can be residue left, thus I use dark colours for bed covers and it's now fine. Same for baseball caps - I only use dark caps/hats (if I think I may have to take the hat off).

My method is apply Toppik to dry hair. Use a little hair spray or gel, etc. immediately and wait for a few minutes. Then, I run my hands over my hair and into the sink, to remove excess Toppik which has remained loose, and which would otherwise come off should someone rub my hair (fairly unlikely). Then repeat some Toppik application (if needed) and a final hair spray.

Also, I can't tell you how much better it is to use the Toppik spray applicator! It makes the world of difference, trust me. You can also empty the Toppik fibers and use the container/ spray applicator with another brand, should you which to use an alternative - Nanogen, etc.

CliffLee

Established Member
Reaction score
Is the spray precise enough?

Yes it is. It takes a small amount of time to get use to how much pressure to use on the applicator, for the amount of fibers needed, but won't take long to get used to. Once you have the hang of it, you can use tiny amount where needed (bottom of temple points; immediate hairline area).

For me, I found it so difficult to control the fibers just using the shaker - I ended up with piles of fibers on my hair and had to use my hands to level out the fibers. It was a nightmare. There is no refinement with the shaker.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
I used the light blonde toppik once and it turned my scalp neon green. It was bad enough to make me never use it again. Someone else on the Amazon reviews had the same problem with the light brown. Maybe this is only an issue with the lighter colors? People with dark hair seem to be overall more satisified with the results

It's a shame because I would like to try using something on the weak, not quite terminal hairs in my NW1 area to see what they'd make my hairline look like, but walking around with a green scalp is worse than being NW1.75 imo

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
I used the light blonde toppik once and it turned my scalp neon green. It was bad enough to make me never use it again. Someone else on the Amazon reviews had the same problem with the light brown. Maybe this is only an issue with the lighter colors? People with dark hair seem to be overall more satisified with the results

It's a shame because I would like to try using something on the weak, not quite terminal hairs in my NW1 area to see what they'd make my hairline look like, but walking around with a green scalp is worse than being NW1.75 imo

Try Cuvva brand, I've tried a couple and I really like that brand.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score

shookwun

Reaction score
Never did well with dermatch. It looks like makeup.
Dermmatch application can be an art in regard. As you mentioned, it's essentially make up.

It isn't intended to be painted on, and create something that's not there. it adds bulk to an exsisting foundation, strengthens pigmentation.

Toppik can lift a bald head, into semi-full head. However, over application is equall to dermmatch - looks like chalk

g.i joey

Reaction score
French Montana and Dj Khaled abuse the f*** out of concealers, perfect example of how addicted you can become lol

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
When someone invents a fibre that doesn't come off on pillow cases, even with plenty spraying, I'll be totally amazed. Tried them all.... Worst part about them

MoBishop

Established Member
Reaction score
I've never had bad luck with fibers coming off on pillow cases and I attribute this to going over the areas with a light coat of wax and hairspray after I'm done applying. Hats are a bit different, but nothing terrible. I apply fibers on both receding temples and at the front of my scalp to hide a diffuse patch.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've never had bad luck with fibers coming off on pillow cases and I attribute this to going over the areas with a light coat of wax and hairspray after I'm done applying. Hats are a bit different, but nothing terrible. I apply fibers on both receding temples and at the front of my scalp to hide a diffuse patch.

That may be because you have more hair on your crown than I do? Even when I first started using the stuff several years ago, I'd get this problem, and ithe hair loss was not that bad at that time. Always have loads on pillow and wiped off head by morning. I know a lot of guys on here don't have that problem, and good luck to them, but many of us do have this problem. Even when taking a baseball cap off too. It's crappy out there

Last edited:

MoBishop

Established Member
Reaction score
That may be because you have more hair on your crown than I do? Even when I first started using the stuff several years ago, I'd get this problem, and ithe hair loss was not that bad at that time. Always have loads on pillow and wiped off head by morning. I know a lot of guys on here don't have that problem, and good luck to them, but many of us do have this problem. Even when taking a baseball cap off too. It's crappy out there

Dang man, I'm sorry to hear you're having this :/ Yes, my hair loss is exclusive to my temples and mid-forehead. Toppik works quite well with the latter, whereas applying to the temples takes some artistry. I too have minor issues with it coming off when I wear hats, but nothing too troublesome.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hang on to what you have, If you've not experienced the pillow saga, you're on to a winner. It means you've got good coverage. Keep it that way