Using Only Tape For A Swiss Lace System

hairlossyoung

My Regimen
Reaction score
does anyone have any experience using only tape for attachment? I’m thinking about this method because I want something more low maintenance.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi HLY - tape on a lace system is fine, but you need a special tape for the hairline. Walkers 3-mil tape is the only tape I have found that is fine enough for a hairline. Other tapes are too thick and detectable.

Noah

hairlossyoung

My Regimen
Reaction score
Perfect! I plan on using only tape. Also I shouldn’t have too much of an exposed hairline I usually combover for the most part anyways. What should I buy in order to maintain my system?

Robinson

My Regimen
Reaction score
Walkers 3-mil tape is the only tape I have found that is fine enough for a hairline. Other tapes are too thick and detectable.

Noah

I'm looking at the Walker 3-mil / lace front thin tape and it comes in strips of A, B, CC and D contour shapes. How do you get these pre-defined contour strips to fit exactly the front edge/ hairline of a custom system?

Noah

Reaction score
I cut them in two, and just trim the bits to fit. I find that I can just place the piece of tape beside the edge that it is going on, and I can pretty much see what needs to be trimmed off and can do it by eye. If you find that difficult you could do it with a pencil, I guess.

scubadude

Reaction score
Decide what hair contour you want. When you make your template stick a piece of the contour tape where you want your hairline to be. Template and thus custom piece has exact contour of tape.

Jonny1788

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been answered but can’t find an answer. I’ve never used tape before, do you just apply it around the edges or all over the system?

Noah

Reaction score
You could do either, but most guys just put it around the perimeter, perhaps with an extra strip down the middle and/or an extra strip behind the front hairline if they use glue for the hairline.

Hairpiece tape is very strong, so a perimeter strip is enough to give a secure hold in pretty much any situation one can think of. But when you are lying down, e.g. in bed, your scalp can wrinkle slightly, and that can cause a bit of slack in the base of the system if it is just taped on the perimeter, so that is the purpose of putting a strip down the middle.

Jonny1788

My Regimen
Reaction score
Noah, thanks for replying. I’m changing because I’m itching really badly to ghost bond XL. Hopping tape is the answer

Noah

Reaction score
Good luck Jonny. If the itch persists you could also try using a scalp protector under the adhesives. The itch probably means your skin is a bit sensitive to the adhesives.