Using Minoxidil For Accutane Telogen Effluvium: Advice Needed!

fairlgirl

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I posted here a while ago but I have now been off Accutane for 12 months and have lost 60% of my incredibly thick hair. I look completely different and am devastated because I am young too. When the shedding started, I was losing about 700 hairs a day but it tapered off to about 200-300 hairs a day around 7 months ago.

So, there has been no improvement in 7 months and my hair is noticeably thinner each month.

I've had my thyroid and iron tested.

My derm recommended trying women's regaine foam in 5%. I asked him if it was a life sentence, and he said "no, since you have Telogen Effluvium you can just use it for about a year to reset your hair cycle and keep the regrowth in the anagen phase".

I desperately wanted to avoid using it in the first place as I'm terrified of side effects (skin aging??!), but I just need to try it now.

I don't have genetic issues w hair loss and am producing healthy looking regrowth.. it just falls out at 1cm long.

Do you all think that my derm could be right? That I could use it for a year and then stop without all the new hairs falling out?

I don't want to be on it for life, but I need to try something now as I miss my hair so much.

Thank you x

PS. What if I have chronic Telogen Effluvium that would have lasted for 5ish years or something terrible? I assume that's just a risk I'll have to take if I'm coming off Minoxidil after 1 year, right? (As in, i could lose all the hair I gain)

areeba sheikh

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did the rogaine help? I am in same position as you and thinking of starting rogaine but scared of the initial shed.

Leslie5555

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did the rogaine help? I am in same position as you and thinking of starting rogaine but scared of the initial shed.
How do u get diagnosed with telogen effluvium? I was diagnosed with hirsutism in 2009 and took spironolactone fir 8 years. Worked great. But now it doesn't. I wonder if i have telogen!! Help advice please