Using Minoxidil for 1 Year Results..Time for a Transplant???

Norwood Level

• Norwood 1.5-2

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Norwood 2

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Norwood 2-3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Norwood 3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree 2.5 will still cause some bloating. 5mg and above it’s unbearable.

1mL with the dropper I have is 55 drops so that’s about 0.9mg for one drop. I’ve been trying that now, I think things are improving, but will see in a few more weeks.
But ofc I did also use it topically with finasteride quit that now. Made it worse im positive.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Might break my red light therapy cap out I just didn’t see any results
Ye but it cant hurt at least. Red light can stimulate hair growth at least. I dont care if it works or not still gonna use my laser helmet. Some guys do claim results from it but it can take many months.

hudsonhawke

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought Min wasn't that effective on the temples? More for the crown area? If you want to maintain what you have then finasteride is the best option. 1mg every other day (so skip a day) worked for me and stopped getting sides.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Might break my red light therapy cap out I just didn’t see any results
Well tbh im gonna use RU58841 and oral min. No more finasteride gives me almost retrograde ejaculation no matter the dose or how often I use. I even quit finasteride for 4 months and still had ejaculation problems. It can give you permanent side effects or loooong lasting.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
I thought Min wasn't that effective on the temples? More for the crown area? If you want to maintain what you have then finasteride is the best option. 1mg every other day (so skip a day) worked for me and stopped getting sides.
Sounds like placebo to me. Lol it takes litteraly days for serum DHT to rise. Just 1 day without finasteride wont make a difference in serum DHT look at the damn chart xD.

Zwillard91

My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't ever consider going for a transplant unless you are committed to taking finasteride for life. You will have to have multiple surgeries throughout your life.
I don’t think it matters if you take finasteride, I am 29 and think I am slowly receding, but thankfully I think I don’t need too many grafts so I could always get another. This is my hairline now with a buzz and a photo of my dad’s hair at 52 years old. Just using min but my right side seems to be thinning

Attachments

• IMG_0796.jpeg
    IMG_0796.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0800.jpeg
    IMG_0800.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0802.jpeg
    IMG_0802.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0803.jpeg
    IMG_0803.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0791.jpeg
    IMG_0791.jpeg
    34 KB · Views: 40

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score
I don’t think it matters if you take finasteride, I am 29 and think I am slowly receding, but thankfully I think I don’t need too many grafts so I could always get another. This is my hairline now with a buzz and a photo of my dad’s hair at 52 years old. Just using min but my right side seems to be thinning
And what will happen if you get a transplant at your temples and you get further recession in the future?
If you're OK with getting multiple transplants in the future then that's fine, just make sure you don't exhaust your donor area.

Your hair looks fine, most ethical surgeons won't even work on someone with as much hair as you.

Derek Clapton

Reaction score
Don't ever consider going for a transplant unless you are committed to taking finasteride for life. You will have to have multiple surgeries throughout your life.
That's redacted if true. The whole point is supposed to be that they take it from donor areas that are not gay for DHT so you don't need nasty 5ars.

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score
That's redacted if true. The whole point is supposed to be that they take it from donor areas that are not gay for DHT so you don't need nasty 5ars.
If you are balding (especially in your 20s) your hair loss will continue throughout your life. If you fix the corners of your hairline now, in 10-20 years time, possibly sooner you will just have hair in the corners of your head and be bald behind, a ridiculous look. That is why finasteride is needed. And even with finasteride you will still need a touch up or two in the future.

It's different if you're completely bald, then your look after your transplant will persist but it still won't look that good as the density will be so low, OK for a 70 year old, bad for a 20-50 year old. We only have a limited number of donor hair. That's why hair cloning is the needed.

There's a celebrity here in the UK called Calum Best who hasn't taken finasteride and has had 4 transplants in the last 14 years just to keep up with his hair loss. I think he's almost exhausted his donor supply and he's only 43. The funny thing is that he looked better with his head shaved. Sometimes a head shave is better than a low density transplant with a high hairline, which is quite an aging look.

Can you commit to all of that?

Derek Clapton

Reaction score
If you are balding (especially in your 20s) your hair loss will continue throughout your life. If you fix the corners of your hairline now, in 10-20 years time, possibly sooner you will just have hair in the corners of your head and be bald behind, a ridiculous look. That is why finasteride is needed. And even with finasteride you will still need a touch up or two in the future.

It's different if you're completely bald, then your look after your transplant will persist but it still won't look that good as the density will be so low, OK for a 70 year old, bad for a 20-50 year old. We only have a limited number of donor hair. That's why hair cloning is the needed.

There's a celebrity here in the UK called Calum Best who hasn't taken finasteride and has had 4 transplants in the last 14 years just to keep up with his hair loss. I think he's almost exhausted his donor supply and he's only 43. The funny thing is that he looked better with his head shaved. Sometimes a head shave is better than a low density transplant with a high hairline, which is quite an aging look.

Can you commit to all of that?
My point was that you shouldn't need fina to keep transplanted hair. Seems you're making a different point.

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score
My point was that you shouldn't need fina to keep transplanted hair. Seems you're making a different point.

Yes you don't need finasteride to keep transplanted hair but you need it to keep the existing hair on top. Otherwise as you bald further, you will just be left with your transplanted hair and gaps where your original hair at the time of your transplant used to be, a hideous look.

Unless you are totally bald in which case a transplant will just give you very thin coverage up top, fine for a 70 year old man, not so much for a 20-50 year old. There simply aren't enough hairs in the back of your head to transplant to create thick coverage up top without existing hair.

Derek Clapton

Reaction score
Yes you don't need finasteride to keep transplanted hair but you need it to keep the existing hair on top. Otherwise as you bald further, you will just be left with your transplanted hair and gaps where your original hair at the time of your transplant used to be, a hideous look.

Unless you are totally bald in which case a transplant will just give you very thin coverage up top, fine for a 70 year old man, not so much for a 20-50 year old. There simply aren't enough hairs in the back of your head to transplant to create thick coverage up top without existing hair.

I mean not everyone needs 5ar blockers - other stuff works to varying degrees for different people. But I take your point. All depends on timing and how you are managing your hairloss.

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score
I mean not everyone needs 5ar blockers - other stuff works to varying degrees for different people. But I take your point. All depends on timing and how you are managing your hairloss.

Do you really want to end up like this guy who gets transplants and doesn't take finasteride. He's just 42 and had 6 transplants already, pretty much depleted his donor hair. God knows what he will look like in 10 years.

Derek Clapton

Reaction score
Do you really want to end up like this guy who gets transplants and doesn't take finasteride. He's just 42 and had 6 transplants already, pretty much depleted his donor hair. God knows what he will look like in 10 years.

If I'm paying for a transplant it's so I don't have to rekt my endocrine system with 5ar blockers. Otherwise I would just take them and not need a transplant, because they did the job for me, but to the detriment of my endocrine system so I stopped. So it would be either or, not both.

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score
If I'm paying for a transplant it's so I don't have to rekt my endocrine system with 5ar blockers. Otherwise I would just take them and not need a transplant, because they did the job for me, but to the detriment of my endocrine system so I stopped. So it would be either or, not both.

Then you will just have very thin coverage if you start from slick bald. An aging look. Or you might exhaust your donor hair like this guy I posted about. Do you have the money and committment to have multiple procedures?

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score

Who said finasteride even works? Not even 2.5 duta did sh*t for me. Dont even have aggressive male pattern baldness to begin with. I think the 80% success rate is bogus more like 50%

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score
Who said finasteride even works? Not even 2.5 duta did sh*t for me. Dont even have aggressive male pattern baldness to begin with. I think the 80% success rate is bogus more like 50%

I'm sorry it didn't work for you. finasteride worked well for me for several years, I am a diffuse thinner. I've had to stop due to trying to conceive and my hairloss has accelerated.

I think anyone going for a transplant should try finasteride/dutasteride for a year and if it is effective then they can go for a transplant otherwise be prepared for bad results and multiple surgeries.

Derek Clapton

Reaction score
Then you will just have very thin coverage if you start from slick bald. An aging look. Or you might exhaust your donor hair like this guy I posted about. Do you have the money and committment to have multiple procedures?
Not everyone balds like calum best. You are using one example to back your argument. Again, IMO the whole point of a transplant is to avoid using poisonous 5ar blockers.

Zwillard91

My Regimen
Reaction score
@reckless @Mr Slap Head
See updated photos hair has grown out a bit I still feel like Min isn’t doing a thing.

Attachments

• IMG_1179.jpeg
    IMG_1179.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1180.jpeg
    IMG_1180.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1182.jpeg
    IMG_1182.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1183.jpeg
    IMG_1183.jpeg