Using both Oral and Topical Minoxidil

Khavoc1

My Regimen
Reaction score
I take Oral Minoxidil, 2.5 in the morning.
Is it ok to apply topical Minoxidil in the evening?

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use them together but take breaks from oral as needed. Topical on its own does very little for me but still worth it.

LITUATUI

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil increases your heart rate, take it only in the morning when you're active.

Taking it at night isn't smart, you'll likely have trouble sleeping and get headaches.

I use oral (6 mg) and topical minoxidil (1 mL) in the morning, without side effects.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Jesus. Why in the name of Jesus you used both ? Do you even know why use oral instea of topical in first place ? And place don't said " cause it is more effective " . Minoxidil was discover more than 40 years ago !!!!! And first use it oral, they made it topical for a reason, is not that the lab where idiots ! It is cause SIDE EFFECTS ! If you want more minoxidil active , simple add tretinoin .

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil increases your heart rate, take it only in the morning when you're active.

Taking it at night isn't smart, you'll likely have trouble sleeping and get headaches.

I use oral (6 mg) and topical minoxidil (1 mL) in the morning, without side effects.
Lol dude, if it increase heart rate, that is a BIG side effects . Why you think Minoxidil is not longer used as medicine to treat Hypertension ?!

LITUATUI

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with you James, oral minoxidil needs to be handled with extra care.

I don't recommend using high dosages of oral minoxidil for long periods. I'm just testing it and being careful by constantly monitoring the heart rate with a fitness tracker.

Unfortunately I don't respond to 50 mg of minoxidil applied topically (1 mL), but I respond to 6 mg (3 drops) taken orally. I do plan to reduce it to 2 mg (1 drop) in the future just for maintenance.

The increased heart rate can be useful when you do sports, or just very active. But an increased heart rate in the night when you're trying to rest only has disadvantages.

By the way, I'm also using 0,05 % tretinoin (2 days a week) and microneeding (once a week) to enhance minoxidil results.

The advantage of oral form is that you kind of know how much it is going systemic, with topical form it varies a lot from scalp to scalp. Just by washing your hair with hot/warm water before will open pores and increase the topical absorption.

I had my first experience with minoxidil many years ago in my early twenties and was using it topically twice a day. The side effects were scary.

On one occasion I was walking and had a scary chest pain, it made me give up using it completely. I also got a eye twitch that remained for many years even after discontinuing the use of minoxidil.

So in my experience using topical minoxidil (100 mg) twice a day can be more dangerous than using it orally only once (6 mg).

I do understand your warning, minoxidil should be taken with care, especially if in oral form, since most of it goes systemic.

By the way, I know that you're a big advocate for tretinoin.

Some studies report that it increases VEGF and angiogenesis like minoxidil or microneedling, but other studies actually report that it does the opposite.

What's your take on it? Thanks!

F.Coronilla

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1 drop 6mg? i thought it was much less,
i am actually with oral 5mg in morning and 1 ml at night, but i think it causing me headache, so far the only negatice, hair seem a little better maybe, i am micronedling once a week too

LITUATUI

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I measured that 1 mL of minoxidil (50 mg) contains 24 drops, so 1 drop has 2 mg of minoxidil. Currently I'm drinking 3 drops (6 mg) and applying 1 mL topically every morning.

If 5 mg is causing you headaches, maybe you should reduce the dosage to half or only use it on the days that you do some exercise (walking is fine).

Definitely start microneedling once a week! Preferably with an adjustable derma-stamp, it's much better than a roller or electric derma-pen.

nickbor34

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've heard of the side effects of oral growth stimulants. The liver can store toxins.

DrHerway

My Regimen
Reaction score
I take Oral Minoxidil, 2.5 in the morning.
Is it ok to apply topical Minoxidil in the evening?
I would not recommend combining oral and topical minoxil unless you are under the close supervision of a physician. Risk of serious side effects is too great. But presumably you already are since you on oral minoxidil.

Isneezedsohard

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would not recommend combining oral and topical minoxil unless you are under the close supervision of a physician. Risk of serious side effects is too great. But presumably you already are since you on oral minoxidil.
What if it’s low dose? 2.5 mg+ topical?