URGENT - Took dutasteride for the first time yesterday. Will I experience a crash and get PFS if I stop now?

Eric S

My Regimen
Reaction score
My dermatologist prescribed me dutasteride and minoxidil to deal with my male pattern baldness. I took them yesterday for the first time and now my nipples are super sensitive. Just the rubbing of my shirt with them distracts me, it's driving me nuts. Now I'm tempted to stop taking dutasteride out of fear of developing gynecomastia.

Can I stop taking dutasteride and maybe ask for a finasteride prescription, or will I experience crash and end up with PFS, or any other possible averse effects? Again, I only took dutasteride once. I had never taken any medications for my male pattern baldness before.

Last edited:

Eric S

My Regimen
Reaction score
One dutasteride pill won’t give you gyno. In your head.
I'm aware, but my nipples are super sensitive like they've never been before. From what I've read, breast tenderness may be an early sign that I'll develop gyno if I keep taking the pill.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Id personally switch to finasteride, its still very early days. Lots of antedotal complaints of dutasteride destroying hairlines which is terrifying, imo i wouldnt touch it. Take finasteride, less chance of sides too!

Eric S

My Regimen
Reaction score
Id personally switch to finasteride, its still very early days. Lots of antedotal complaints of dutasteride destroying hairlines which is terrifying, imo i wouldnt touch it. Take finasteride, less chance of sides too!
Is it ok to just stop taking dutasteride now and start finasteride once I get a prescription?

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is it ok to just stop taking dutasteride now and start finasteride once I get a prescription?
If you've only taken 1 pill then yes.

Eric S

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you've only taken 1 pill then yes.
Yup, just one.

So I shouldn't worry about experiencing a crash and developing PFS? Sorry if I'm too paranoid.

What would be the best way of transitioning to finasteride be? Should I wait a while, until the effect of dutasteride runs out perhaps? Or would it be better to start taking finasteride as soon as I have it?

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yup, just one.

So I shouldn't worry about experiencing a crash and developing PFS? Sorry if I'm too paranoid.

What would be the best way of transitioning to finasteride be? Should I wait a while, until the effect of dutasteride runs out perhaps? Or would it be better to start taking finasteride as soon as I have it?
You can stop immediately. the risk of PFS is extremely low. probably around 0.1%. I would start taking finasteride as soon as you get it.

Cdnnll18

My Regimen
Reaction score
My dermatologist prescribed me dutasteride and minoxidil to deal with my male pattern baldness. I took them yesterday for the first time and now my nipples are super sensitive. Just the rubbing of my shirt with them distracts me, it's driving me nuts. Now I'm tempted to stop taking dutasteride out of fear of developing gynecomastia.

Can I stop taking dutasteride and maybe ask for a finasteride prescription, or will I experience crash and end up with PFS, or any other possible averse effects? Again, I only took dutasteride once. I had never taken any medications for my male pattern baldness before.
Definitely a placebo, you aren’t experiencing side affects from the amount you’ve taken

Eric S

My Regimen
Reaction score
In another forum people advised me to wait until the tenderness goes away before starting taking Fina. Is that a good idea?

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
In another forum people advised me to wait until the tenderness goes away before starting taking Fina. Is that a good idea?
Its not a bad idea but after a single pill it was definitley all in your head. Whats happened since? Have you seen your GP and got an rx for finasteride yet?

Eric S

My Regimen
Reaction score
Its not a bad idea but after a single pill it was definitley all in your head. Whats happened since? Have you seen your GP and got an rx for finasteride yet?
I don't think it's a placebo, as I hadn't heard of that side effect before taking duta. Perhaps I already had some mild, unnoticeable degree of gyna before?

The tenderness has been going down since then. I got another appointment with my new derma (don't ask) for dec 23 so I'll have to wait until then to get her opinion.

Use topical duta or fina if you want to use AA's. If you still get the gyno feeling then, never touch fina or duta again.
Sounds like a good idea, I'll tell my derma about it.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
there are no pfs cases from dutasteride only
Thats the most illogical thing ive read on here in a while. thats like saying dutasteride works for 100% of men. Both simply are not true. PFS is still extremely unlikely and in some cases entirely a mental condition

All Might

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thats the most illogical thing ive read on here in a while. thats like saying dutasteride works for 100% of men. Both simply are not true. PFS is still extremely unlikely and in some cases entirely a mental condition
show me one guy who has post finasteride syndrome ( and not just permanent ed) after stopping dutasteride with no history of crashing with fina before