Unsure If I Should I Start Finasteride At 18

helpmyscalp

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was prescribed finasteride by my derm recently but I'm torn on whether or not I should go through with it. On one hand, I'd love to attack my male pattern baldness early, but the potential side effects at my age + being reliant on a hormone-altering drug for at least 15 years is quite worrisome.

Here's my hair when I wake up if that helps

I'm mostly concerned about the miniaturization across the entire hairline. So far I've just been using Nizoral twice a week for the past month

helpmyscalp

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nevermind, looked in the mirror today and my entire front scalp is fucked. Getting on it ASAP

Vanitykills

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah the miniaturization on the hairline is pretty bad.

You're doing the only thing in this world to stop it, taking the pill. You're very young taking this, but you're definitely not on your own.

Worth a shot.

helpmyscalp

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah the miniaturization on the hairline is pretty bad.

You're doing the only thing in this world to stop it, taking the pill. You're very young taking this, but you're definitely not on your own.

Worth a shot.
Yeah I'd say its worth a shot too. I can't seem to really find anyone with the pattern I have. What would it be classified as, diffuse thinning?

helpmyscalp

My Regimen
Reaction score
good luck man. im also considering finasteride at the age of 18...
Yeah man, the potential sides are scary but I think its right to either take action now or accept it. If I do develop sides then that will be that, if not I'll hopefully be able to just take it, stop worrying about my hair knowing I'm doing all I can, and hopefully enjoy my youth

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah man, the potential sides are scary but I think its right to either take action now or accept it. If I do develop sides then that will be that, if not I'll hopefully be able to just take it, stop worrying about my hair knowing I'm doing all I can, and hopefully enjoy my youth

You have a great mindset man, I wish you the best of luck

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks man. I've wasted way too much time over the past year worrying about this and trying to convince myself I'm not balding. I'm sure I won't have the same mindset if I end up a NW7 at 22, but for now, I'm optimistic. Best of luck to you too.

Whats ur family history of hairloss man? Did ur dad go bald at a young age?

helpmyscalp

My Regimen
Reaction score
Whats ur family history of hairloss man? Did ur dad go bald at a young age?
My Dad still has almost a full head of hair at 57, just starting to thin on the crown. However, both of my grandfathers and 1/2 of my uncles are bald and went bald quite young from what I am told.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I was prescribed finasteride by my derm recently but I'm torn on whether or not I should go through with it. On one hand, I'd love to attack my male pattern baldness early, but the potential side effects at my age + being reliant on a hormone-altering drug for at least 15 years is quite worrisome.

Here's my hair when I wake up if that helps

I'm mostly concerned about the miniaturization across the entire hairline. So far I've just been using Nizoral twice a week for the past month
If you are not done with puberty yet, I would wait and just use minoxidil or try topical finasteride if you feel you want to use finasteride with possible less risk for side effects. Your hair still looks great.

helpmyscalp

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you are not done with puberty yet, I would wait and just use minoxidil or try topical finasteride if you feel you want to use finasteride with possible less risk for side effects. Your hair still looks great.
Thanks man. How would one really know if they're done with puberty though? I started at 12 (impressed all the girls with my hairy armpits) but still could have a much thicker beard, maybe an extra inch of height, etc.
Edit: And also I have a super small frame and would really like to fill out still, although it doesn't seem like a lack of DHT would inhibit this

Vanitykills

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I'd say its worth a shot too. I can't seem to really find anyone with the pattern I have. What would it be classified as, diffuse thinning?

Your pattern that I can see currently, is recession of the hairline. For most folk, that's where it starts and then who knows, you need to watch it closely.