uncomfortable man has a point

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Thanks.

Everybody knows baldness is seen as a negative thing. The evidence is all around us. It is overwhelming. That's why I just can't wrap my bald head around these people who felt self conscious enough to join a hairloss forum yet completely deny or downplay the social stigma towards bald people. Hello? Your here because you are trying to prevent being bald, so that you can avoid the very descrimination you deny existing. Phhht.

slipy

Reaction score
[youtube:q3i3gzto]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfjFaLE-LPc[/youtube:q3i3gzto]

this is a commercial you can hear while driving a car in gta san andreas .
enjoy. :whistle:

slipy

Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
Thanks.

Everybody knows baldness is seen as a negative thing. The evidence is all around us. It is overwhelming. That's why I just can't wrap my bald head around these people who felt self conscious enough to join a hairloss forum yet completely deny or downplay the social stigma towards bald people. Hello? Your here because you are trying to prevent being bald, so that you can avoid the very descrimination you deny existing. Phhht.

it's kind of understandable that they're not completely aware of the consequences. you probably weren't aware of the stigma yourself until your experiences accumulated.

B

Beingbaldsucks

A short bald guy is usally a clownish character, a masculine bald guy is An unsensative beast, whatever if he's good or bad

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
All I know is that for all the positive rhetoric on this site, at the end of the day nobody wants to actually be bald. That point alone negates all prior positivity IMO.

Baldilox

Reaction score
Nobody wants to be bald?

Nobody wants to not have a great job. Or be rich. Or be successful.

Or not be the wittiest guy in the room.

Or have a big nose. Or be super skinny. Or be short.

There are hundreds of permutations that define men as aesthetically (or overall) attractive people.

Hair is a very big part of it. But it isn't a deal breaker. Only if you allow a loss of hair to make you a loser. Plain and simple.

If you are bald, you are not by default a loser. Just like if you have great hair, you not by default a winner (or not a loser, tool, douche, undesirable fool).

Very few people see a bald guy and think "LOSER!", just because the guy is bald. Even if they are young....it's not a big f*****g deal. People WILL look at you and notice you are balding so early, and they probably WILL talk about it behind your back.

But you think they'll be mocking you for it? Not if you aren't a LOSER. And being loser is not a default category just by being bald.

A guy three years younger than me who I went to school went NW5-6 type bald (not the bullshit pseudo-bald a lot of people on this forum are experiencing) when he was 19-20. ie, all throughout his college years.

He shaved it. And he doesn't have some perfect look for the shaved head, either (EG, ghg, uncomfortable man).

In fact, he looked great when he had hair.

And he still looks pretty good without; he got in better shape, made sure he had good skin, and kept excelling at LIFE. He studied sh*t, he was funny, he did sh*t -- he traveled, he went out, he accomplished things....And he is probably one of the most overall well-liked people I've ever known.

Has a hot girlfriend, who is young, too.

Now, if this guy acted like a pussy....if he acted like a loser....yes, he would be a loser, and he would fit every steretype there is of bald people, the very same stereotypes mentioned in this thread...but guess what? Those are defined by people, and they are defined by bald people.

Also, I can find many more villains/ugly people/ugly charachters in movies and tv who *have* hair than those who are bald.

:punk:

Ori83

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ofc bald is sh*t.. i dont need um to know that :dunno:

antman

Established Member
Reaction score
Baldilox, have you asked the guy how he feels about his hair loss?

bigentries

Established Member
Reaction score
Exodus2011 said:
ive noticed theres subtle discrimination against hair loss everywhere i go. its unavoidable. heres some i noticed

-watching shanghai noon. villian is only bald guy in movie
-playing skyrim. someone refers to humans and says "i dont wanna wait until im old and my hair falls out to die"
-girl i know laughs about her friend hooking up with a middle aged bald guy, and emphasizes the bald part
-random guy i know literally says "bald=loser"
-lex luther in superman. also name one bald superhero.
-also professor x doesnt count. i heard the creators made him bald specifically to make him seem nonthreatening and old

got any other examples of subtle bald discrimination? i know theres plenty

Of course "subtle discrimination" exists, same with heightism, big noses, etc.

What most people complain about UCM (and others) it's their complete paranoia.
If his stories are really truth, then he is an exception, because as someone else said, people don't just see a bald person on the street and start pointing and whispering, because there are bald males everywhere you look.
And his age is not a factor, since he is already in an age where baldness is just "normal"

Look at the list of all US governors (or lawmakers), and tell me seriously that baldism is as serious as racism or sexism

Seriously, I just need a trip to the bathroom at work to meet several degrees of baldness. I would love to say the same thing about the amount of women and ethnic diversity.

Baldness sucks, if it doesn't for you, get away from the forum. I would also love to indulge in pessimism if it wasn't so over-the-top

B

Beingbaldsucks

uncomfortable man said:
All I know is that for all the positive rhetoric on this site, at the end of the day nobody wants to actually be bald. That point alone negates all prior positivity IMO.

no one wants it,but when you are sly bald you better accept it even if its hard. cuz otherwise it gonna chase you everywhere. nothing will bring the hair back,and depression only create more depression, feeling sorry for yourself for the rest of your life is not going to help

Baldilox

Reaction score
antman said:
Baldilox, have you asked the guy how he feels about his hair loss?

Yes! We were pretty good friends for a while.

It pissed him off for a while, but it *never* crippled him in any way.

Granted, he has/had a HUGE leg up over most of the people on here: he didn't have any prior emotional/confidence/psychological issues or debilitations.

Straight up, this speaks to what a lot of people here (IMHO) should be focusing on and working on (vs focusing on something which can't be worked on, or which they don't really seem committed to working on......ie, using concealers, SMP, hair transplants, etc).

When he got real bald and shaved (and I don't mean buzzed), he made jokes about it, he didn't hide from it, he was public with it.

Look, not everyone is going to be happy. Some people are depressives, some people hae life setbacks that for whatever *they* themselves can't get over. So I'm not making light of or denying what a lot of people on here are feeling: but I am pointing out that it really isn't about their hair,

AND for those who are quite young, I'm trying to point out that you don't have to be them, and that your life doesn't have to end up shitty (or that of a "bald loser"...even if you are bald).

The stakes are high, however; you get one life, and life does't grant anyone happiness. Many people live, and die unhappy and unsatisfied. And everyone has a breaking point where it is just too feasibly difficult reverse all the bullshit and emotional trauma and psychological hardening of the years.

Islander

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I form a tiny minority of guys with hairloss who don't care about other people's opinion. I just love my hair and I love feeling it. I feel more connected to nature, cosmos, purity and simplicity. The way of wise tribal/nature live. Why to shave and cut something that grows? There is something totaly unnatural about it... Through out my life, my first initial self imgage was - a guy with awesome long hair. Now I am forced to gradualy take the look I don't want to take so much.
I never argued about stigma that comes with severe baldness. I remember when I was a perfect NW1 not long ago, I never thought much about the issue but I liked to separate myself from balding crowd. I thought I always be the one exceptional man who will have great hair no matter what. But to again refer to these days: for not a complitely shallow person with no hairloss - they really don't care. Before I became a Norwood spotter, before I was shockingly became to deform away from my true being, I didn't felt/behaved worse towards bald guys. And the only time I thought "Oh, this guy is bald" is when he was slick blad or full blown NW5+. And I ofcourse never wanted to be one of them. More of this, I thought it is impossible. Not in my early 20's, damn it.
And I am also tierd about talk like - confidence is the key. Where does confidence comes from? Not from thin air. It is more like a "positive expirience" thing. If you had so many failures all the time, at one point you just give up. Better to go with things you truly like plus initialy good at.

Reaction score
Came across an interesting example of a guy using his baldness as a selling point / way to differentiate himself from his competitors:

http://baldguyredtie.wordpress.com/2011/10/08/who-is/

(HairLossTalk.com turned my link to spam, just google baldguyredtie)

Not posting this to try and downplay the stigma of balding / being bald (it exists, and that would be dumb right cos I'm a member of a forum about stopping hair loss) just found it interesting that with a positive attitude, confidence and a bit of humour this guy turned baldness into an advantage. Hope I can do similar when the time comes.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Baldilox said:
Nobody wants to be bald?

Nobody wants to not have a great job. Or be rich. Or be successful.

Or not be the wittiest guy in the room.

Or have a big nose. Or be super skinny. Or be short.

Don't try to dilute my point with irrelevant examples all of which being short are easier remedied than full blown baldness nor carry as heavy a stigma. Baldness is in a class by itself in terms of how dramatically it can effect your appearance. Besides, you are on a hairloss forum, hair has a higher premium here.

Baldilox said:
If you are bald, you are not by default a loser. Just like if you have great hair, you not by default a winner (or not a loser, tool, douche, undesirable fool).
You don't think I know that? I know I'm a good person. The problem is other people assuming I'm a loser because of my baldness. It is the inherent unfairness of it all that I find so upsetting. I feel like shouting at them sometimes, "It's not my fault dammit! Don't you realize that? I'm not some evil creep so stop f*****g looking at me like I am!"

seb

Reaction score
What U.man has just said is the crux of what I have (tried to) put across since I have been here.When you are bald ie sly/horseshoe,you are one of two things.Either an intimidating monster,who will never get a job/relationship etc,or a laughing stock(usually these two are usually entwined).
Can't anyone else on here see that?

Baldilox

Reaction score
seb said:
What U.man has just said is the crux of what I have (tried to) put across since I have been here.When you are bald ie sly/horseshoe,you are one of two things.Either an intimidating monster,who will never get a job/relationship etc,or a laughing stock(usually these two are usually entwined).
Can't anyone else on here see that?

That's simply false, man.

I'll get into detail when I reply directly to UMan.

But what you just said is false; bc you have a false view (of some combo of your self and the world/others) that you are so crippled by whatever hair loss you have.

The same way someone who suffers from clinical depression just does not see the world in a fair way, and are unnecessarily punished as a result. In a sense, a depression-esque response to "hairloss" is even worse -- since unlike depression, which is always more theoretical and intangible, it's of course true you HAVE lost your hair (to some degree) and there IS a stigma about hairloss in young(ish) people.

seb

Reaction score
"It is true you have lost some hair(to some degree)" :woot: I have been fully sly for 10YEARS.When you have walked in my shoes on the path I have tread,then you can say(with some actual evidence) to back up you're "I am false" conviction.