Uk - Bad System Experience - What Are My Rights?

System_newbie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Firstly, Hi!
I've been coming onto this forum for a while to research getting a system and found a lot of great info.

I found a guy pretty local, and went and got my first system last week.
Unfortunately, the colour match was way too dark, it was far too thick, and the base of the hairline was like a piece of black fabric, not the undetectable hairline I was expecting.

The fitter seemed to know that it wasn't right, and when I was leaving he even said he will replace it for free if I come back in a week.
Needless to say, I couldn't leave the house with it so took it off and decided against taking him up on his offer.

It's a very expensive mistake - I paid £475 for the system and cut in, and £75 for product that I haven't opened and will never use.
He now won't return my texts or calls, and I feel absolutely scammed.
Where do I stand with it all?

Thanks in advance,
Thomas

Noah

Reaction score
Hi SN

All goods sold in the U.K. come with a statutory warranty that they are of 'merchantable quality' and fit for purpose. All services sold in the UK come with a statutory warranty that the service provider will use reasonable skill and care in providing the service. Those warranties cannot be excluded. So if your system does not meet the basic standard of a decent hair system, which it sounds like yours doesn't, then you are entitled to claim the cost of replacing the item. That is not technically quite the same as getting your money back, but there is probably little or no difference in practice.

You should send him a legal-sounding letter and threaten him with an action in the Small Claims Court if he doesn't pay up.

Noah

System_newbie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice @Noah... It's good to know that I have a leg to stand on with it all.

Also @deg_dilemma , I don't really want to shame him atm, just incase it affects me claiming my money back.
Once there's a solution either-way I'll be more than happy to share so no one else is treated the same way.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice @Noah... It's good to know that I have a leg to stand on with it all.

Also @deg_dilemma , I don't really want to shame him atm, just incase it affects me claiming my money back.
Once there's a solution either-way I'll be more than happy to share so no one else is treated the same way.

You can always post reviews online AFTER you recover from him.