UK 5099 - anyone has been following this?

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This is the type of thing that Pelage is working on. But FYI these chemicals are available for those of you who run labs ;)

The team identified two drugs that, when applied to the skin of mice, influenced hair follicle stem cells in distinct ways to promote lactate production. The first drug, called RCGD423, activates a cellular signaling pathway called JAK-Stat, which transmits information from outside the cell to the nucleus of the cell. The research showed that JAK-Stat activation leads to the increased production of lactate and this in turn drives hair follicle stem cell activation and quicker hair growth. The other drug, called UK5099, blocks pyruvate from entering the mitochondria, which forces the production of lactate in the hair follicle stem cells and accelerates hair growth in mice.

Herein, we report the synthesis and evaluation of novel analogues of UK-5099 both in vitro and in vivo for the development of mitochondrial pyruvate carrier (MPC) inhibitors to treat hair loss. A comprehensive understanding of the structure–activity relationship was obtained by varying four positions of the hit compound, namely, the alkyl group on the N1 position, substituents on the indole core, various aromatic and heteroaromatic core structures, and various Michael acceptors. The major discovery was that the inhibitors with a 3,5-bis(trifluoromethyl)benzyl group at the N1 position were shown to have much better activity than JXL001 (UK-5099) to increase cellular lactate production. Additionally, analogue JXL069, possessing a 7-azaindole heterocycle, was also shown to have significant MPC inhibition activity, which further increases the chemical space for drug design. Finally, more than 10 analogues were tested on shaved mice by topical treatment and promoted obvious hair growth on mice.

And here is a related article from R. Paus

balda

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Researched Lactic acid and related products, incl. UK5099, for awhile.
I have no clear understanding and mixed feelings about LA.

Once, I even came across a century old (!) research mentioning it:
"Balzer (Semaine medicale, May 19th; Fortschritte der Medicin, September 20th) practices friction (ED: rubbing) of the bald part daily with a 30 PER CENT solution of LACTIC ACID until the skin becomes inflamed. Then the treatment is suspended for a few days, and resumed when the inflammation has subsided. He reports that he has often observed a new growth of hair in the course of THREE WEEKS."

Yeah, it's not about UK5099, but meanwhile could be helpful.
Bought Lactic Acid and applied it for up to half a year. Then stopped, as interpreted ongoing results as strongly negative. Not fully sure that the acid was the cause. Investigated more and came to conclusion that the acid is able to damage hair "environment", provoking collagen (ie fibrosis) growth (btw, that's why it's used in cosmetics).

Here it is:
"Injectable PLLA is a biocompatible, biodegradable, synthetic polymer hypothesized to elicit the endogenous production of fibroblasts and, subsequently, collagen."

Meanwhile other researches say it's good:
"Poly-l-lactic acid microthread therapy combined with minoxidil may improve hair density, hair thickness, and hair appearance better than minoxidil alone."

God knows...

kuba197

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
We found that inhibition of pyruvate transport into mitochondria can accelerate the hair cycle even during refractory hair cycling due to age, repeated chemotherapeutic treatment and stress. Hair cycle acceleration in these alopecia models led to the formation of histologically normal hair follicles within 30-40 days of treatment without any overt signs of toxicity or deleterious effects. Therefore, we propose inhibition of pyruvate entry into mitochondria as a versatile treatment strategy for alopecia in humans.

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hmm... but, going off the abstracts alone, this is in non Androgenetic Alopecia affected hair, so it just makes normal hair grow faster, would it have impact on Androgenetic Alopecia?

On the other hand, it says it activates HF stem cells, so maybe.

BaldingHell

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes. The only people on it for real are in a secret discord, and they aren't allowed to talk about it. The person running the project would seem to be William Lowry of Pelage, though he denies it. Of course he would lose his medical license if it's him, so the denial doesn't mean anything. He claimed this was his research. Whomever it is does know the research well, and he's very secretive about what he's doing because he's afraid of getting in trouble. That makes me think he must work at Pelage.

It's not a coincidence that Pelage appears to be stuck in preclinical development while someone is quietly getting people to try their drug with different combinations of other drugs. Their research shows the drug works in non-Androgenetic Alopecia and non-scarring hair loss. I think they know it is no cure for Androgenetic Alopecia as a monotherapy, and they are hoping it works better in combination with the other drugs that we are on. Why would they sell the company to Allergan if they are so sure its going to cure Androgenetic Alopecia as "Farnsworth" tells us? The truth is they know the issue of a lack of progenitor cells that I pointed out is something that may keep it from working as well as they'd like in Androgenetic Alopecia. Of course they won't admit that. They just say it doesn't matter, "Wnt is a red herring". The goal is to get people to try it and see how it works best before they move on to clinical trials. For that they want us to think it's 100% certain that it's the cure. To be fair it may work as well as minoxidil. It should activate every progenitor cell to make it produce hair, but there is a lack of those in Androgenetic Alopecia so the new hairs probably won't ever become fully terminal, same as with minoxidil. They are hoping that by activating the cells which do express LGR5 on the cell membrane that it will activate Wnt signalling and that will force other dormant HFSCs to express LGR5 so they can become hair cells as well instead of becoming skin cells. They have no evidence for this. The evidence points in the other direction so all they can say is trust me bro. Hopefully they are right and it works out, but I'm highly skeptical.

I may try the drug myself just to find out. It's very cheap so it doesn't hurt to try, but I don't know if it's entirely safe. Afaik everyone trying it is fine so far, although there's no proof of hair growth. Apparently a few people have grown some vellus hairs after a couple months. Let's hope they turn terminal, and that those people will share it here when/if they do. It would be fantastic if a drug that is $10 a year, and readily available would cure Androgenetic Alopecia. Just don't get excited until it actually happens because the evidence for what they claim is not there yet.
At first i thought you are going to talk sh*t about it , but its sound like somthing you add to regime . So its still good.

farnsworth

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes. The only people on it for real are in a secret discord, and they aren't allowed to talk about it. The person running the project would seem to be William Lowry of Pelage, though he denies it. Of course he would lose his medical license if it's him, so the denial doesn't mean anything. He claimed this was his research. Whomever it is does know the research well, and he's very secretive about what he's doing because he's afraid of getting in trouble. That makes me think he must work at Pelage.

It's not a coincidence that Pelage appears to be stuck in preclinical development while someone is quietly getting people to try their drug with different combinations of other drugs. Their research shows the drug works in non-Androgenetic Alopecia and non-scarring hair loss. I think they know it is no cure for Androgenetic Alopecia as a monotherapy, and they are hoping it works better in combination with the other drugs that we are on. Why would they sell the company to Allergan if they are so sure its going to cure Androgenetic Alopecia as "Farnsworth" tells us? The truth is they know the issue of a lack of progenitor cells that I pointed out is something that may keep it from working as well as they'd like in Androgenetic Alopecia. Of course they won't admit that. They just say it doesn't matter, "Wnt is a red herring". The goal is to get people to try it and see how it works best before they move on to clinical trials. For that they want us to think it's 100% certain that it's the cure. To be fair it may work as well as minoxidil. It should activate every progenitor cell to make it produce hair, but there is a lack of those in Androgenetic Alopecia so the new hairs probably won't ever become fully terminal, same as with minoxidil. They are hoping that by activating the cells which do express LGR5 on the cell membrane that it will activate Wnt signalling and that will force other dormant HFSCs to express LGR5 so they can become hair cells as well instead of becoming skin cells. They have no evidence for this. The evidence points in the other direction so all they can say is trust me bro. Hopefully they are right and it works out, but I'm highly skeptical.

I may try the drug myself just to find out. It's very cheap so it doesn't hurt to try, but I don't know if it's entirely safe. Afaik everyone trying it is fine so far, although there's no proof of hair growth. Apparently a few people have grown some vellus hairs after a couple months. Let's hope they turn terminal, and that those people will share it here when/if they do. It would be fantastic if a drug that is $10 a year, and readily available would cure Androgenetic Alopecia. Just don't get excited until it actually happens because the evidence for what they claim is not there yet.
It has been shown in vivo and in vitro to differentiate into CD34+ progenitor cells. They destroyed all progenitor cells chemically in a 2021 murine model study and were able to regenerate them.

farnsworth

My Regimen
Reaction score
Farnsworth is in the same field as Lowry, and he claimed that the research was his own discovery. Why would some other phd come on here and claim Lowry's work as his own? It's clearly him. Why else would he refuse to show "SWIM's" pictures except to select people who aren't permitted to show anyone? Because what he's doing is considered unethical. I don't really have a problem with it personally. My only problem with Farnsworth was that he claimed that it's his theory when it's Lowry's theory. If Farnsworth is actually Lowry then I have no problem with him and what he's doing. I have my doubts about it working, but I'm as curious as anyone.
I did not nor have I ever claimed to discover mpc inhibition activating hfsc. I am not Lowry.

farnsworth

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes. The only people on it for real are in a secret discord, and they aren't allowed to talk about it. The person running the project would seem to be William Lowry of Pelage, though he denies it.
I did not create a discord nor have I ever created or encouraged such rules around secrecy. Maybe Lowry is running a secret discord, which from what I know is false, but I certainly am not.

farnsworth

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you have a link? Was this with HFSCs from balding scalp? If these were healthy cells in which Wnt isn't being suppressed(by constitutive Twist?) then I would expect that result. However if Twist1 is constitutively expressed, preventing β-catenin from binding to transcription factors then I don't see how progenitor cells would be regenerated as canonical Wnt signaling is required for this. Sure in a healthy cell where Wnt is not suppressed such as age-related hair loss or chemotherapy-induced hair loss this could be a cure but androgenetic alopecia is a different beast.
Wnt is “suppressed” in age related and especially permanent chemotherapy-induced hair loss.

edh38

My Regimen
Reaction score
The discords are not run by pelage lol...
See https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jmedchem.0c01570

Pelage has already better alternatives to UK

Edit: but pls post summary of results or pics. I like UKs approach.

And the possibility of it working in female pattern hair loss is probably higher.
I have that. Pls give me UK.

Last edited:

Roeysdomi

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That doesn't mean anything. Apparently UK is cheaper and more easily obtainable than JX, and may have lower toxicity. I'm aware the discord is run by an HairLossTalk.com member. I wasn't asserting that the server is run by Pelage. It wouldn't be the first time that a company has tested their drugs on humans without FDA knowledge
Not sure if getting into conspiracy is the right attitude here, we all want to find ways to stop hairloss and UK sound like good thing to add (while keeping the rest ..)

farnsworth

My Regimen
Reaction score
View attachment 174892View attachment 174893
It is strange that there are no reports until recently of UK working at all. It's been available for sale for many years. Surely a lot of people have tried it, yet no one ever came on here to say it worked. This person at least used the correct concentration. There is one user from the current gb who hasn't gotten results yet, but there are a few others who have. One report of a few terminal hairs in the temple from a gb member. SWIM reportedly has gone from NW3 to NW2 with vellus in the NW1 area, but he is also on finasteride. finasteride can reverse a Norwood by itself, especially combined with minoxidil. So the indications are that UK is helpful for some, but so far doesn't seem to be the miracle drug we were promised. I'd like to see a complete rundown of the regimens of people who are getting results and not getting results to see what it might synergize with. I know one person not getting results is also on finasteride and min. One person getting the best results is on estrogen. Perhaps it makes estrogen work faster?
The concentration used by Edwin is much smaller than that used by others, especially for his vehicle. SWIM was on finasteride for more than a year and minoxidil for 2-3 without any regrowth.

Last edited: