Uk 2010 elections

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i willl have SOME respect for the lib dems if they break the coalition after getting AV passed.....and maybe i'll vote for them again if they veto clegg and cable from the top spots, they weren't popular at their own conference

i am glad ed is the leader and i am glad all this "new labour" bs is over
but i can't see an election being called any time soon i just at least hope we get AV
i tbh don't see why you would want to keep first past the post

HughJass

Reaction score
So how are you all liking your new government?

They're raising student fees setting your universities on the path to becoming corporate degree factories like they did here, shitecanned the sustainable development commission and now lord snooty is going to cut the bank levy

sounds like you've got yourself a bunch of wankers there

GeminiX

Reaction score
All things considered I'm quite liking them so far, though they are going to cost me a fortune in the short term :)

s.a.f

Reaction score
I'd say they're doing the political equivilent of cutting off a gangreenous limb. The next few years are going to be very tough, but its that or continue to slide deliriously into oblivion like Labour were doing.

Draco88

Established Member
Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
So how are you all liking your new government?

They're raising student fees setting your universities on the path to becoming corporate degree factories like they did here, shitecanned the sustainable development commission and now lord snooty is going to cut the bank levy
I thought universities had become corporatised pretty much every where in the (Western) world (?) Perhaps with the exception of some prestigious institutions.
At least here, anyone can get into university. That has its good and bad sides though.

As far as I know, last time the UK was pulled out of an economic recession, the conservatives were in power, so hopefully they'll pull through again. It's important for the UK to be a key player not only in Europe but the world.

Bekim

Established Member
Reaction score
lazy english peoples!!!!

maybes alsos many homo runing uk

alsos cousin tolds nots having new 5 bedrooms by lady thats likings lady workings for council!!!!! fat bitchs!!!!!

Bekim :(

cuebald

Reaction score
Universities have been pointless money making machines for a decade now anyway. They've been a nice little earner for everyone but the actual students.

I predict the bankruptcy of the Students Loan Company in 10 years time - witness all of the students who have done Film and Media etc degrees who are now working minimum wage jobs with no hope of ever paying the loans back.
The Tories removed all funding for these types of degrees because they know that they are pointless, and that the money will never be seen again.

I know a few people who did these degrees, and while they are nice people, they never were really "university calibre". Labour might have said that University education for all enriches society, but all it has done for these people was waste three years of their lives and endebted them by thousands. It taught them nothing that any employer wants.

The only people I know who were glad they went to University did Science/Medicine/CS degrees - the people who studied the film/arts courses say - it was a laugh while they were there (student parties, drinks, etc) but that's all it was, a three year cushy lifestyle all funded by a loan, and now they've grown up they wish they'd spent the three/four years on something with a point.

It seems to me that the Tories now have the task of deflating all of Labour's bubbles. The housing bubble is slowly being deflated, the university bubble also, and the public sector bubble. The Tories will never be popular especially amongst those who will no longer gain from Labour's free lunches.

GeminiX

Reaction score
So much truth right there Cubald.

I recently worked with an intern who is doing a degree in "Marketing and Social Media"; it's basically a degree in using Facebook, and an absolute waste of three years and my tax money.

s.a.f

Reaction score
cuebald said:
It seems to me that the Tories now have the task of deflating all of Labour's bubbles. The housing bubble is slowly being deflated, the university bubble also, and the public sector bubble. The Tories will never be popular especially amongst those who will no longer gain from Labour's free lunches.

Exactly labour bankrupted the country trying to appease the unwashed masses, they created a nation of freeloaders sucking the country dry. Now we will have to suffer in order to try and reign the country back from oblivion.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
We need to continue to subsidise those who go to university to study maths, science, medicine, law, accounting etc, as these graduates are vital for the economy's future.

However all the rest can go ahead and pay £9000 a semester if they wish to continue studying subjects like media, english lit etc. because frankly they offer nothing to the job market.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Exactly labour bankrupted the country trying to appease the unwashed masses, they created a nation of freeloaders sucking the country dry. Now we will have to suffer in order to try and reign the country back from oblivion.

Would you also rid your country of your National Health Service if you had the ability, so you wouldn't have to pay all those "freeloaders" with your tax money?

GeminiX

Reaction score
The NHS is a flawed, but in principle excellent service.

The key difference, is the NHS deals with medical problems which are beyond the control of the client while the benefits system is far more open to abuse. You can make a choice about trying to get back into a meaningful career or staying on state hand-outs, you can't choose when you're ill.

Obviously those are generalisations, but you get the idea.

oni

Reaction score
GeminiX said:
The NHS is a flawed, but in principle excellent service.

The key difference, is the NHS deals with medical problems which are beyond the control of the client while the benefits system is far more open to abuse. You can make a choice about trying to get back into a meaningful career or staying on state hand-outs, you can't choose when you're ill.

Obviously those are generalisations, but you get the idea.

So GeminiX, what sort of problems do you think the £400 a week housing cap will cause.

The £2000 a week was a joke.

GeminiX

Reaction score
oni said:
So GeminiX, what sort of problems do you think the £400 a week housing cap will cause.

The £2000 a week was a joke.

I'm quite biassed here, so probably can't give a neutral answer, however I've always been prepared to move as my circumstances have changed and have had many jobs where travel has been a requirement.

I think the same sorts of principles apply with housing; if someone want's to live in a highly prestigious area with excellent employment opportunities they really can't expect to have their house funded by the state and live on benefits for long.

That being said, if we're too draconian in enforcing that we'll just create social-slums where the jobless get pushed into. My home town has two social housing estates, and sadly they are vile. They are crime hot-spots, graffiti, burned out cars etc.; even the most talented and motivated person will have a hard time breaking free from a place like that.

oni

Reaction score
I think it may end up driving up rental prices in less desirable areas, £400 a week will still get you a 4 bedroom house in a reasonable part of London.

Land lords will still be able to screw the system.

We will just not see story's about Somalian families living in rented £2 million houses.

This is just a politically driven policy to get these "types" of people out of affluent areas.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Bryan said:
s.a.f said:

Would you also rid your country of your National Health Service if you had the ability, so you wouldn't have to pay all those "freeloaders" with your tax money?

TBH yeah I would, I have private medical insurance anyway. The NHS is generally a good thing but these days it too suffers from serious abuse and the people who are using it the most are usually the ones who contribute the least or not at all. For example health tourists who come from other countries just to use it or generally people who abuse their bodies then expect free treatment. It cost billions just to take care of the drunks that are admitted on a friday and saturday night, and its not just emergency care that theres all kinds of non essential treatments that people are getting these days. Also I wonder how many of these chav mothers would have 6 kids if they had to pay for the deliveries.

You should hear some of the shocking stories from my eastern european work colleagues about how things are in their countries with their corrupt health care system. They cant believe their luck when they come here.
But no government would dare to change things now.

s.a.f

Reaction score
oni said:
I think it may end up driving up rental prices in less desirable areas, £400 a week will still get you a 4 bedroom house in a reasonable part of London.

We will just not see story's about Somalian families living in rented £2 million houses.

This is just a politically driven policy to get these "types" of people out of affluent areas.

Good they dont deserve to be there. If your getting something for free then why should you complain about it. THey should be greatful for any roof over their heads.
PS being a landlord I would'nt want to rent to these type of people for anything less than a huge sum.

oni

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
oni said:

Good they dont deserve to be there. If your getting something for free then why should you complain about it. THey should be greatful for any roof over their heads.
PS being a landlord I would'nt want to rent to these type of people for anything less than a huge sum.

I think you are missing the point. The point I am making is that this system has artificially propped up the housing market in the higher end of the rental market.

Now with the cap set at £400 per week all rentals that sit in the high £200 per week bracket and £300+ will all becoming £400 per week as the rush of families on housing benefit looking to move.

Now factor in the amount of families already living in properties in the price bracket of around £270-£350 a week living on housing benefit and you can guarantee the rental price will go up to £400 per week as land lords cash in.

We may well see no change in the housing benefits bill to this country.

And all government would have done is waste more money on implementing a system that will not work to pander to their friends and the legions of daily hate readers.

This could also cause more problems in the housing market and push prices up in the lower end of the sector.

s.a.f look to the top to find the cause of problems and not the bottom. I really do not like people abusing this country, be that immigrants or bankers.