Ughh why didn't I use Toppik before!!

Hairful

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I discovered Toppik two years back when I had much more hairs but I thought nah, it just looks too good to be true and everyone will know. Fast forward to this month, using hats all these years, I rediscovered toppik and thought it wouldn't hurt to try. Had lost all confidence, stopped going out effectively becoming a recluse, stopped dating, I hated myself and couldn't dare meet anyone without a hat.

So a bottle of toppik finally arrived and tried it expecting to look like an idiot but oh man, I couldn't believe it :D I suddenly had a head full of hair:eek:

Today was the first time going out to a public place with them, used hair spray to glue them in, I was so self conscious while out expecting someone would laugh at me or ask some weird question like what's with your hair but nothing!. Nobody even noticed anything and I was sitting next to some dudes waiting for my appointment.

Oh man, I just can't believe it. I really wish I had started finasteride two years ago when I had a lot more hair and see through diffuse thinning, hair fibers would've given me so much density like I was a teen again. Now, toppik makes my hairline/front of head look really dense where I still have some thinned hairs left, middle of the head is decent and the back doesn't have any hair so it is bald and toppik doesn't want to stick to anything lol

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s papering over the cracks, eventually you won’t have any stands for the fibers to cling too.

Hairful

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s papering over the cracks, eventually you won’t have any stands for the fibers to cling too.

I hope not, I have been using finasteride for a year now and further hairloss has slowed (or stopped? it's hard to tell). I do plan to get a hair transplant sometime this year though.

Pics or it never happn

LOL sure. This is after a whole day of using it. I know it doesn't look that great but I had grey hair since my early 20s (33 now) and my hair always looked washed out/dull even when I had them.

IMG_0314.jpg

Last edited:

notsohairymon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was a Toppik user for a long time (literally almost 2 decades) before switching to a hair system a year ago. I "got away with it" (though I'm sure some figured it out and snickered behind my back) because I had a lot of peach vellus and even a good deal of strands of hair all over my "bald horseshoe" so it actually looked kind of like your picture (same hair color too, though I had less full hairs so it all looked a lot shorter), especially if I kept the sides real short. And constantly used minoxidil to try and maintain this.

However, the big pitfall is not how it looks when you do it right and "glue it in" with hairspray but all the ways it can fall apart that will get you paranoid and freak you out. Do not get caught in a heavy rain without an umbrella it will put "holes" in your head that will give it away and in some ways look much much worse than a bald head. You have to be extra careful not to bump your head hard against something, it will make it come off in the area you bumped your head and that will produce a weird looking "hole". And finally, you have to be extra extra careful that no one touches your head, both intentionally and by accident (i.e. you somehow bump into someone against the area you have the Toppik on, like if you run around playing sports). The stuff will get on them and it will likely also show a "hole" on your head. Oh and make sure you put a dark towel on your pillow (and that you have dark colored pillowcases) or you'll ruin those as well (unless you wash it off completely every night and redo every morning). I also used to make sure I had a bottle of Toppik with me everywhere I went in case any of these things happened.

I put up with this for years because it was I between jobs a lot and this was much cheaper than a hair system and certainly a transplant. But looking back I very much regret it, I think I would've been a lot better off either just shaving it off or prioritizing my budget on a hair system, etc. But YMMV, so good luck!

Ajamilo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was a Toppik user for a long time (literally almost 2 decades) before switching to a hair system a year ago. I "got away with it" (though I'm sure some figured it out and snickered behind my back) because I had a lot of peach vellus and even a good deal of strands of hair all over my "bald horseshoe" so it actually looked kind of like your picture (same hair color too, though I had less full hairs so it all looked a lot shorter), especially if I kept the sides real short. And constantly used minoxidil to try and maintain this.

However, the big pitfall is not how it looks when you do it right and "glue it in" with hairspray but all the ways it can fall apart that will get you paranoid and freak you out. Do not get caught in a heavy rain without an umbrella it will put "holes" in your head that will give it away and in some ways look much much worse than a bald head. You have to be extra careful not to bump your head hard against something, it will make it come off in the area you bumped your head and that will produce a weird looking "hole". And finally, you have to be extra extra careful that no one touches your head, both intentionally and by accident (i.e. you somehow bump into someone against the area you have the Toppik on, like if you run around playing sports). The stuff will get on them and it will likely also show a "hole" on your head. Oh and make sure you put a dark towel on your pillow (and that you have dark colored pillowcases) or you'll ruin those as well (unless you wash it off completely every night and redo every morning). I also used to make sure I had a bottle of Toppik with me everywhere I went in case any of these things happened.

I put up with this for years because it was I between jobs a lot and this was much cheaper than a hair system and certainly a transplant. But looking back I very much regret it, I think I would've been a lot better off either just shaving it off or prioritizing my budget on a hair system, etc. But YMMV, so good luck!
Why did u not use a hairspray?

Ajamilo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Aha i understand. Was thinking about meaby buying a toppik and a hair spray. is it a good combo?

Hairful

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I shaved my head completely couple weeks ago completely misjudging the speed of my hair growth and now I can’t go to a party because toppik just doesn’t look good on short hair.

damn it, how could I do this to myself

Ajamilo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can you use whatever hairspray or is it some hairspray you have to use to "lock" the toppik?

notsohairymon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can you use whatever hairspray or is it some hairspray you have to use to "lock" the toppik?

Any real strong hairspray will do the trick. I used to use Freeze It Mega Freeze for example. You should be able to get that at CVS or similar drugstore.

Hairful

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I just grabbed whatever hairspray was available and it works. To be honest, I hate how it sticks to my hair and washing it is a pain. All of it doesn’t come off. I don’t shower and don’t want to shower for just toppik removal.

I have seen YouTubers use some sprays that allows them to use it even in swimming pools. Or pomades etc

Few caveats though

Toppik has ammonium chloride which is bad for lungs so I am going to try changing to cabbuki or another that’s not toxic

Toppik makes my skin itch and burn slightly especially if I use it on a bald area without some thinning hair. I imagine it’s due to the fibers pricking the skin rather than any allergy as the feeling subsides.

You need absolutely long hair like I have to have a natural look. Otherwise it just looks like you painted your skin LOL. I made the mistake of shaving and I have to wait 3-4 months for my hair to get a good length before I can use it again.

Your hair/skin will feel like little crystal ish LOL so don’t let anyone touch your hair, obviously. And they will get black fibers attached to their fingers hehehe

I imagine that’s where a super duper strong hairspray will make a difference

Ajamilo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I did the same thing. Shaved my hair and now i regrett it. Is two months so i guess i can use some of it but it looks bad tho