Ugh... Sebum!

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
hairrific said:
I have been hanging out with health nuts and hippies for years, and every VEGAN I know is extremely balding and has poor muscle tone. So better take lots of beta-sitosterol or something to counter the DHT!

Actually vegans have very high S.H.B.G. (which prevents the conversion of testosterone to D.H.T. or estradiol) due to having 9% lower IGF-1.

Vegans also have 13% higher testosterone levels

*Allen NE. Hormones and diet: low insulin-like growth factor-I but normal bioavailable androgens in vegan men. Br J Cancer. 2000 Jul;83(1):95-7.

dpdr

Established Member
Reaction score
And the avocado oil ? It is rich in beta-sitosterol, It would be a good choice to consume it ?

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
follicle84 said:
Tell me why do you guys assume sebum is a bad thing apart from it being greasy? It has an important role in protecting hair not harming it. Just curios.

I doubt that sebum has any role at all, aside from helping contribute to acne. Aside from that, it neither hurts nor helps. The idea that it helps contribute to inflammation is interesting, but I'm not fully convinced that that's significant.

Here's a quote from a referenced source discussing the role of sebum.

"The primary functions of sebum have historically been controversial, but are recently being elucidated. Sebum is involved in development of epidermal structure and maintenance of the epidermal permeability barrier (Pilgram et al, 2001), carrying anti-oxidants to the skin surface (Theile et al, 1999), protection from microbial colonization, generation of body odor, and pheromone generation (Kligman, 1963). It has also recently come to light that sebum is directly involved in skin-specific hormonal signaling, epidermal differentiation, and protection of the skin from ultraviolet irradiation (Thiboutot et al, 2003;Zouboulis, 2003)."

http://www.nature.com/jidsp/journal/v10/n3/full/5640202a.html

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
follicle84 said:
My conclusion is that sebum is necessary to moisturise and hydrate the scalp...

Sebum doesn't moisturise or hydrate the skin or scalp. That's just an old wives' tale.

follicle84 said:
Interesting point about very shiny heads. This was discussed a while ago and some people came to the conclusion that it was to do with scaring of the follicles dying.

Do dying hair follicles get SCARED? :)

haha I just realised i worded that wrong. If the follicles where concious i would imagine they would be. I meant to say scarred not scared lol.

baller234

Established Member
Reaction score
follicle84 said:
Bryan said:
follicle84 said:
Tell me why do you guys assume sebum is a bad thing apart from it being greasy? It has an important role in protecting hair not harming it. Just curios.

I doubt that sebum has any role at all, aside from helping contribute to acne. Aside from that, it neither hurts nor helps. The idea that it helps contribute to inflammation is interesting, but I'm not fully convinced that that's significant.

"The primary functions of sebum have historically been controversial, but are recently being elucidated. Sebum is involved in development of epidermal structure and maintenance of the epidermal permeability barrier (Pilgram et al, 2001), carrying anti-oxidants to the skin surface (Theile et al, 1999), protection from microbial colonization, generation of body odor, and pheromone generation (Kligman, 1963). It has also recently come to light that sebum is directly involved in skin-specific hormonal signaling, epidermal differentiation, and protection of the skin from ultraviolet irradiation (Thiboutot et al, 2003;Zouboulis, 2003)."

http://www.nature.com/jidsp/journal/v10/n3/full/5640202a.html

I don't believe children or women produce sebum. I think it's only produced by adult males due to androgens.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
Yes and this is why most female don't suffer from Hairloss and Acne.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
follicle84 said:

Those things must not be terribly important, considering that prepubertal children make virtually no sebum, and neither do adults with CAIS (Complete Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome). A lot of that stuff simply strikes me as doctors and scientists trying to find _some_ reason, any reason at all, for sebum to exist; and those rather odd things they listed above are the best they could do.

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't believe children or women produce sebum. I think it's only produced by adult males due to androgens.

Everyone produces sebum its just much more with adult males and people suffering from male pattern baldness.

squeegee said:
Yes and this is why most female don't suffer from Hairloss and Acne.

Some females do suffer from hairloss just not to our extent. These would include women going through the menapause and pregnancy. My gf complained about having greasy hair all the time when pregnant despite washing it almost everyday.

My familly have a history of skin problems regarding oilly skin and acne women included. Acne is the result of excess sebum and infection. A few of the women in my familly still have acne. Have you never known a female to have acne?

We get it worse because we have more androgens like testosterone.