Ugh... Sebum!

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there anything which is proven to slower down the sebum production. My scalp and face get so oily. Its unbelievable. I'm sure there is something out there which can help. Especially around my ears and my temples. I could just press down on those areas and feel the oil. It feels horrible. Can anyone give me advice on what I should do which may help?

Thanks

KANGA

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been doing research on mega-dosing vitamin B5, aka Pantothenic acid.

Some people take 10 grams(!) a day... I'm going to try working up to 5 grams per day and see how that goes.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
-Panthotenic acid (b5) 15 to 20 mg a day. You can buy it in bulk and put them in capsule by yourself because this is the worst tasting sh*t on Earth.
- MSM 5-10 grams a day. Sulfur help a lot. Pretty cheap everywhere.
- Omega 3 twice a day. Good quality one ( High in EPA DHA)
- Good multivitamin with a complete B-complex vitamins in it.Not some shitty Centrum. All the B's, Niacinamide, Chromium and Biotin.

If nothing work just add Coenzyme A and a good Probiotic to the cocktail.

Your complexion and hair will see a radical change.

Fred

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
squeegee said:
-Panthotenic acid (b5) 15 to 20 mg a day.

15 to 20 milligrams a day? That's not very much! :)

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Natwraggie said:
Is there anything which is proven to slower down the sebum production. My scalp and face get so oily. Its unbelievable. I'm sure there is something out there which can help. Especially around my ears and my temples. I could just press down on those areas and feel the oil. It feels horrible. Can anyone give me advice on what I should do which may help?

Thanks

Get dairy products out of your diet! Research the relationship between dairy consumption and sebum.

When I got dairy and other fats and oils out of my diet, sebum production was completely haulted! Also wash your hair with ketoconazole shampoo, it is shown to reduced the sebaceous glands by nearly 20%!

And if you want to take it a step further get meat and fats out of your diet and increase your dietary fiber consumption.

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Tell me why do you guys assume sebum is a bad thing apart from it being greasy? It has an important role in protecting hair not harming it. Just curios.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
follicle84 said:
Tell me why do you guys assume sebum is a bad thing? It has an important role in protecting hair not harming it. Just curios.

Too much sebum can clog the follicle, a bacterium eats the sebum, the immune system recognizes the bacteria and attacks it causing inflammation, inflammation causes the hair to fall. Same thing happens in relation to acne.

Ever notice bald guys have very shiny scalps?

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
I also think that hairloss start with a bad skin condition. Enlarged pores =overflow of sebum and DHT. add the bacterias +immune system reaction(inflammation)= a stack of sh*t against the health of your hair. You scalp is just the extension of your face with pilosity on it but some people just don't get it.

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
misterE said:
follicle84 said:
Tell me why do you guys assume sebum is a bad thing? It has an important role in protecting hair not harming it. Just curios.

Too much sebum can clog the follicle, a bacterium eats the sebum, the immune system recognizes the bacteria and attacks it causing inflammation, inflammation causes the hair to fall. Same thing happens in relation to acne.

I heard that too, but i have heard contradictions to that also. I cant find scientific proof of either. The contradiction to your statement i heard was that sebum contains fats which protect against microbes and infections that would otherwise harm our scalps. Once getting rid off it leaves our scalps dry and prone to infections which can damage our hair and scalp. My conclusion is that sebum is necessary to moisturise and hydrate the scalp and offer some protection but too much can do the opposite to its intended purpose through build up and trapping bacteria at the pores.

Interesting point about very shiny heads. This was discussed a while ago and some people came to the conclusion that it was to do with scaring of the follicles dying.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Consuming dairy products causes acne...Also from personal experience, dairy caused my hair to become very oily and shed... After I learned about the dangers of dairy from hero John McDougall, I decided to remove dairy products from my diet. I immediately noticed that my scalp became less oily, and didn't shed, also my facial hair grew a lot slower.

I then decided to take it a step further and gave up animal protein because hero T. Colin Campbell pointed out in his infamous China Study that animal protein increased cholesterol much more than animal fat.

So I went vegan. But I took it one more step further...I gave up vegetable oils after hearing what hero Caldwell Esselstyn had to say about them. Caldwell Esselstyn is known for reversing atherosclerosis and heart disease by putting his patients on a low-fat/high-fiber starch based vegan diet (but I doubt you'll see him on Oprah). This type of diet also reverses diabetes and prostate enlargement...pretty big news considering all three of those diseases correlates with male pattern baldness!

After I went vegan my body hair began to shed...opposite of my head. Thou I do still shed a tiny bit, the hairs I do shed are very weak and have very thin tips.

I hope you all will at least give up dairy products, because trust me...it makes a huge difference for the health of your (body and) hair!

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
follicle84 said:
misterE said:
follicle84 said:

I heard that too, but i have heard contradictions to that also. I cant find scientific proof of either. The contradiction to your statement i heard was that sebum contains fats which protect against microbes and infections that would otherwise harm our scalps. Once getting rid off it leaves our scalps dry and prone to infections which can damage our hair and scalp. My conclusion is that sebum is necessary to moisturise and hydrate the scalp and offer some protection but too much can do the opposite to its intended purpose through build up and trapping bacteria at the pores.

Interesting point about very shiny heads. This was discussed a while ago and some people came to the conclusion that it was to do with scaring of the follicles dying.

Scaring of the follicles dying make your head shiny? Why?

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
By the way... Besides milks role in causing atherosclerosis, diabetes, and B.P.H.... Darling et al. (1) identified testosterone, progesterone, and two 5-reduced dihydrotestosterone precursors (5-androstanedione and 5-pregnanedione) in cow milk.

1. Darling JA, Laing AH, Harkness RA. A survey of the steroids in cows’ milk. J Endocrinol (1974) 62(2):291–297.[Abstract/Free Full Text]

baller234

Established Member
Reaction score
misterE said:
Consuming dairy products causes acne...Also from personal experience, dairy caused my hair to become very oily and shed... After I learned about the dangers of dairy from hero John McDougall, I decided to remove dairy products from my diet. I immediately noticed that my scalp became less oily, and didn't shed, also my facial hair grew a lot slower.

I then decided to take it a step further and gave up animal protein because hero T. Colin Campbell pointed out in his infamous China Study that animal protein increased cholesterol much more than animal fat.

So I went vegan. But I took it one step further...I gave up vegetable oils after hearing what hero Caldwell Esselstyn had to say about them. Caldwell Esselstyn is known for reversing atherosclerosis and heart disease by putting his patients on a low-fat/high-fiber starch based vegan diet (but I doubt you'll see him on Oprah). This type of diet also reverses diabetes and prostate enlargement...pretty big news considering all three of those diseases correlates with male pattern baldness!

After I went vegan my body hair began to shed...opposite of my head. Thou I do still shed a tiny bit, the hairs I do shed are very weak and have very thin tips.

I hope you all will at least give up dairy products, because trust me...it makes a huge difference for the health of your (body and) hair!

I agree with you completely about dairy. It does not help the body whatsoever. However some fats are beneficial and have strong anti-inflammatory properties (fish and olive).

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
baller234 said:
I agree with you completely about dairy. It does not help the body whatsoever. However some fats are beneficial and have strong anti-inflammatory properties (fish and olive).

baller234, you are correct about dairy; it's only good for clogged arteries, enlarged prostate, ance, diabetes, and a nice bald shiny scalp...but...I disagree with you on fish oil and olive oil...here's why.

Omega-3 is essential, and anti-inflammatory, but unless you eat raw fish, you don't get the omega-3's because baking the fish, or grilling the fish, destroys the omega-3's. Plus the fish protein is very acidic, causing calcium loss from your bones, which then causes vitamin D loss!

Also

Believe it or not, olive oil is dangerous, it is shown to decrease blood flow for hours after consumed, plus all the monounsaturated fat found within olive oil is raw material for hormone production.

Flax seeds are the best source of omega-3's (and omega-6's) which are the only fat's that should be eaten!