types of alcohol

baldinglikeamofo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I dont understand the different types of alcohol to make a solution.

What proof am I supposed to buy and why?

FC 

Reaction score
Everclear, highest proof. You are buying the alcohol for the ethyl alcohol and everclear is just ethanol and water.

keepinthehair

Established Member
Reaction score
Depends on what you are trying to dissolve. The Certificate of Analysis for RU48851 lists several solvents, all but one are toxic, Ethanol which is the drinking kind :woot: Caution denatured Ethanol from home depot is toxic, they add crap to it to keep the alcoholics from drinking it. :shock: Someone had mentioned Isopropyl Alchol, but this is a larger molecule and likely not as lipophillic (goes through the skin).

Below are estimates from sources here.
190 Proof Everclear Grain Ethanol = 95 %
151 Proof Everclear Grain Ehtanol = 75%
3% Rogain Ethanol = 50 %
5% Rogain Ethanol = 30 %

Propylene Glycol is another form of alcohol used in rogain, is lipophillic and used in most cosmetics. I am going to guess two different alcohols were mixed in the Rogain solution to allow minoxidil to penetrate the scalp at various depths to saturate most of the follicle.

Reaction score
I live in the uk and it has proved very difficult to get hold of ethanol or everclear. I found some surgical spirit BP grade which says that it is made of methanol and ethanol but doesnt say the percentages. Anyone know if this would be better than the isopropyl alcohol i am using at the moment to make my RU sollution?

The above post just said the isopropyl alcohol is not very lipophilic.

FC 

Reaction score
Best advice for people living in countries where high proof everclear is not available is to contact a chemistry supply company and order undenatured alcohol from them.

To the above post, I would definitely avoid using a product with methanol in it.

keepinthehair

Established Member
Reaction score
Methanol is toxic. Use the generic Rogain, its cheap and already mixed into proportions that work as a topical and is also a growth stimulant.

Reaction score
used minoxidil for three and a half years and came off it about six months ago....my hair ain't doing too good because of it but i'd had enough of it......messes with my heart rate and bloats my face.

came off propecia at same time after 1 year of dealing with raised estriadol side effects.

don't want anymore side effects.....my hair isn't worth it them...

I would like to keep my hair so RU is my last hope.

keepinthehair

Established Member
Reaction score
You may want to consider the 3% rogain solution then. Supposedly has good absorbtion as it is approx 50-60% ethanol. May not have the side effects with 3% minoxidil either.

el_duterino

Reaction score
look for the Polmos vodka spirit, 96% (192 proof) 500ml bottle with green label. Sold in liquor stores or online...that's what I use, costs $20 for a bottle.

baldinglikeamofo

Established Member
Reaction score
keepinthehair said:
Depends on what you are trying to dissolve. The Certificate of Analysis for RU48851 lists several solvents, all but one are toxic, Ethanol which is the drinking kind :woot: Caution denatured Ethanol from home depot is toxic, they add crap to it to keep the alcoholics from drinking it. :shock: Someone had mentioned Isopropyl Alchol, but this is a larger molecule and likely not as lipophillic (goes through the skin).

Below are estimates from sources here.
190 Proof Everclear Grain Ethanol = 95 %
151 Proof Everclear Grain Ehtanol = 75%
3% Rogain Ethanol = 50 %
5% Rogain Ethanol = 30 %

Propylene Glycol is another form of alcohol used in rogain, is lipophillic and used in most cosmetics. I am going to guess two different alcohols were mixed in the Rogain solution to allow minoxidil to penetrate the scalp at various depths to saturate most of the follicle.

are you sure about your sources? Dr. Lee claims rogain is using 200 proof.

"Q. If propylene glycol is the component that makes Rogaine®/Regaine Extra Strength® and its generic versions feel greasy and take so long to dry, how is it your new 12.5% solution containing propylene glycol doesn't feel greasy and dries rapidly?
A. The non-greasy feeling and the ability to dry rapidly are directly related to the proportions of propylene glycol and 200-proof ethyl alcohol in the base. These are miscible liquids. The new 12.5% Minoxidil Solution has a fraction of the amount of propylene glycol and a larger component of ethyl alcohol than are present in Rogaine®/Regaine Extra Strength® solution and its generics."

http://www.minoxidil.com/subpages/faqs/ ... idil_12_Q1

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
baldinglikeamofo said:
are you sure about your sources? Dr. Lee claims rogain is using 200 proof.

"Q. If propylene glycol is the component that makes Rogaine®/Regaine Extra Strength® and its generic versions feel greasy and take so long to dry, how is it your new 12.5% solution containing propylene glycol doesn't feel greasy and dries rapidly?
A. The non-greasy feeling and the ability to dry rapidly are directly related to the proportions of propylene glycol and 200-proof ethyl alcohol in the base. These are miscible liquids. The new 12.5% Minoxidil Solution has a fraction of the amount of propylene glycol and a larger component of ethyl alcohol than are present in Rogaine®/Regaine Extra Strength® solution and its generics."

That's a confusing and deceptive statement on the part of Dr. Lee! The manufacturers of topical minoxidil products may add ethyl alcohol to their products in the form of 200-proof alcohol, but it certainly doesn't stay that way, once it gets mixed with everything else. As the other poster said, 5% Rogaine contains 30% alcohol; 2% Rogaine has 60% alcohol, if I remember correctly.

keepinthehair

Established Member
Reaction score
I have no doubt that Dr. Lee, Krikland, and Rogain for that matter use 200 proof Ethanol. This is just pure lab grade ethanol. Everclear in the liquior store is 195 proof or 95% ethanol and 5% water. I am sure this is what was meant by Dr Lee.

Hypothetically 3% Rogain

60% pure ethanol (100%)
30% pure Propylene gylcol (100 %)
10% pure distilled water (100%)