Two Small Concerns/questions Regarding Hair System Maintenance :)

HairSystemGuy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm interested in hair systems and have researched a lot into it already, somebody has helped me but one persons view is too risky to validate all my hopes on.

My wife is amazing and will be happy to help me maintain the piece, and possibly even create the template and have it shipped directly without relying on salons, besides them cutting it of course.

My fears:

1. Getting hot. I'm always getting hot for some reason, it's an odd issue. I don't sweat but burn up a lot and believe it's due to my severe anxiety. I take medication which helps. The person that helped me assured me his head never got hot, on super hot days he said it wasn't any different either.

2. Washing my hair. I MUST shower every day, it's another odd issue whereby I have to wash my hair else my head feels horrible, my eyes hurt, and generally feel sh*t. I'm told you can wash the piece twice a week, and that you can wet it whenever you like. My fear is getting it wet alone wont give me that fresh clean feeling.

Any feedback would be gratefully received.

Thanks

lace

Reaction score
In the USA I live in the desert SW. Summer daytime temps typically 105F to 115F. Heat wearing a lace HP is not an issue. The HP is no different from having a full head of real hair.
I also spend 3 -4 months / year in SE Asia. During my most recent trip the average daytime temp was 90F. Humidity ranged from high to oppressive. Experienced one 7 day period in Bangkok with day temps at or above 100F and stifling humidity. Wearing a lace HP not an issue. I also worked out 7 days/week (assuming that I had access to a gym or swimming pool). Not one gym had AC.

As for washing.....There is NO rule that says one must wash a HP no more than 2X/week. Wash it everyday if you prefer. Just make sure you use a high quality conditioner. The frequent washing may necessitate some extra attention to the attachment. You will not know for sure until you start wearing, and, you experience high temperatures. No two people are the same.

HairSystemGuy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
In the USA I live in the desert SW. Summer daytime temps typically 105F to 115F. Heat wearing a lace HP is not an issue. The HP is no different from having a full head of real hair.
I also spend 3 -4 months / year in SE Asia. During my most recent trip the average daytime temp was 90F. Humidity ranged from high to oppressive. Experienced one 7 day period in Bangkok with day temps at or above 100F and stifling humidity. Wearing a lace HP not an issue. I also worked out 7 days/week (assuming that I had access to a gym or swimming pool). Not one gym had AC.

As for washing.....There is NO rule that says one must wash a HP no more than 2X/week. Wash it everyday if you prefer. Just make sure you use a high quality conditioner. The frequent washing may necessitate some extra attention to the attachment. You will not know for sure until you start wearing, and, you experience high temperatures. No two people are the same.

Awesome advice thank you for that. I see your posts around here a lot. I had an appointment booked in to see someone but ended up putting it off as my wife wanted to see me 100% happy beforehand.

I was due to see Phil from Hair4All this week, after hearing everything you had to say it's certainly made me feel more confident. Maybe I'll rebook with him soon as he seems like a good bloke.

Thanks

lace

Reaction score
Cannot comment on Hair4all/Phil. The company has been in business for about 15 years. Like most companies I am certain they have their supporters, and, no doubt, some people who were not happy. Goes with the territory. You are not a player in the industry until you have some detractors!

Have your wife with you when you order, and, for the first attachment. Video if allowed. She should be helpful during your transition.

HairSystemGuy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Cannot comment on Hair4all/Phil. The company has been in business for about 15 years. Like most companies I am certain they have their supporters, and, no doubt, some people who were not happy. Goes with the territory. You are not a player in the industry until you have some detractors!

Have your wife with you when you order, and, for the first attachment. Video if allowed. She should be helpful during your transition.

Cheers :)

Noah

Reaction score
I agree with Lace about the heat - a lace base is no hotter than having your hair back.

I think if you wash your unit every day, even if you use a good conditioner, you will reduce its lifespan, because you will be drying the hair out faster. But provided you are sourcing the hair from a reasonably priced vendor, that need not be prohibitively expensive.

I will PM you about H4All.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
It also depends on the attachment. Tape vs adhesive, and type of adhesive. You might need to try a number of them, or combinations before you get the right hold.

I have really LONG hair, and the one thing I noticed wearing a system, as to my own bio hair... is that the hair in the system does not get "sweaty". I don't wake up with greasy hair like I did when I had long, bio hair. I usually attach for only 5-6 days before removing and reattaching. In the summer in the Middle East, it's hard to go longer than that. I find that I don't miss "washing my hair". This means that I don't wash the system attached to my head, and only wash it when it's off.

You may not need to wash it every day.

However, you don't wash your hair system like you wash your bio hair. You don't want to do a lot of massaging of the "scalp", and you don't want to condition the "roots", as you can loosen the knots.

HairSystemGuy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with Lace about the heat - a lace base is no hotter than having your hair back.

I think if you wash your unit every day, even if you use a good conditioner, you will reduce its lifespan, because you will be drying the hair out faster. But provided you are sourcing the hair from a reasonably priced vendor, that need not be prohibitively expensive.

I will PM you about H4All.

Thanks for the feedback :)

HairSystemGuy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It also depends on the attachment. Tape vs adhesive, and type of adhesive. You might need to try a number of them, or combinations before you get the right hold.

I have really LONG hair, and the one thing I noticed wearing a system, as to my own bio hair... is that the hair in the system does not get "sweaty". I don't wake up with greasy hair like I did when I had long, bio hair. I usually attach for only 5-6 days before removing and reattaching. In the summer in the Middle East, it's hard to go longer than that. I find that I don't miss "washing my hair". This means that I don't wash the system attached to my head, and only wash it when it's off.

You may not need to wash it every day.

However, you don't wash your hair system like you wash your bio hair. You don't want to do a lot of massaging of the "scalp", and you don't want to condition the "roots", as you can loosen the knots.

Makes total sense thank you. I see your point about not feeling the need to wash it, that was my fear I guess. I was unsure if it's going to have that same morning greasy feeling.

Noah

Reaction score
Hair system hair doesn't get dirty and greasy like biohair, because it doesn't have sebaceous glands pumping oil onto it. By the same token it can also get dried out more quickly because it doesn't have sebaceous glands pumping oil onto it.

HairSystemGuy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair system hair doesn't get dirty and greasy like biohair, because it doesn't have sebaceous glands pumping oil onto it. By the same token it can also get dried out more quickly because it doesn't have sebaceous glands pumping oil onto it.

Awesome, thanks a lot. I'm sure you all know what I mean by having that grubby itchy morning hair feeling right. Nothing worse than that is there, and not being able wash it was putting me off a bit you see. Thank you everyone for clearing it all up for me I highly appreciate it! :)

matt0135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm interested in hair systems and have researched a lot into it already, somebody has helped me but one persons view is too risky to validate all my hopes on.

My wife is amazing and will be happy to help me maintain the piece, and possibly even create the template and have it shipped directly without relying on salons, besides them cutting it of course.

My fears:

1. Getting hot. I'm always getting hot for some reason, it's an odd issue. I don't sweat but burn up a lot and believe it's due to my severe anxiety. I take medication which helps. The person that helped me assured me his head never got hot, on super hot days he said it wasn't any different either.

2. Washing my hair. I MUST shower every day, it's another odd issue whereby I have to wash my hair else my head feels horrible, my eyes hurt, and generally feel sh*t. I'm told you can wash the piece twice a week, and that you can wet it whenever you like. My fear is getting it wet alone wont give me that fresh clean feeling.

Any feedback would be gratefully received.

Thanks

1) like others have said, no hotness issues. You will initially get some anxiety but it's normal at beginning but within a few weeks it becomes second nature .the sooner you view it as your own hair, the quicker you'll get over any issue of it being on your head (like in heat, etc) my system does have poly along back and sides however I don't really notice hotness there either. The bond in that area may get itchy as it nears time for a service. But I only do it 3-4 weeks full removal and re do .I'll be changing that to weekly next month to save costs .

2) I don't think you'll have a problem wetting it every day, but certainly don't shampoo it every day .the system for me does get dirty quicker as Im active, so some sweat is there, plus product build up can make hair greasy. With that being said you just wash it out, no shampoo required .it's not good to shampoo your own biohair everyday anyways .

I can honestly say I'm surprised at how clean the system hair looks after just wetting it in the shower. I don't think this will be an issue for you .

Hope this helps!

HairSystemGuy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
1) like others have said, no hotness issues. You will initially get some anxiety but it's normal at beginning but within a few weeks it becomes second nature .the sooner you view it as your own hair, the quicker you'll get over any issue of it being on your head (like in heat, etc) my system does have poly along back and sides however I don't really notice hotness there either. The bond in that area may get itchy as it nears time for a service. But I only do it 3-4 weeks full removal and re do .I'll be changing that to weekly next month to save costs .

2) I don't think you'll have a problem wetting it every day, but certainly don't shampoo it every day .the system for me does get dirty quicker as Im active, so some sweat is there, plus product build up can make hair greasy. With that being said you just wash it out, no shampoo required .it's not good to shampoo your own biohair everyday anyways .

I can honestly say I'm surprised at how clean the system hair looks after just wetting it in the shower. I don't think this will be an issue for you .

Hope this helps!

Thanks that does help a lot :)