Turns Out I Have Hypothyroidism (pictures Of Hair In Post)

Jimbobthethird

My Regimen
Reaction score
Turns out my thyroid is 4 times lower than normal. What are the chances my diffuse thinning is due to my thyroid issue and if it is, can it be fixed? 22 year old male, been thinning since 19.5-20 (low thyroid symptoms have been happening for around the same amount of time give or take).

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/Mv9AgAI

Screeech

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair loss is definitely a symptom of hypothyroidism.

Get your levels in check and likely your hair loss will prove to be a result of it.

TIme will tell.

Good luck.

dupapls

My Regimen
Reaction score
very possible. you have diffuse thinning all over the scalp, including sides which are usually unaffected by mbp. i have the same kind of hair loss but my thyroid panel came back normal. i even have the same patches of really thin hair by the ears like you do. do you also have itchy/inflamed scalp? i see a bunch of red bumps on your scalp but that could just be acne.

Jimbobthethird

My Regimen
Reaction score
very possible. you have diffuse thinning all over the scalp, including sides which are usually unaffected by mbp. i have the same kind of hair loss but my thyroid panel came back normal. i even have the same patches of really thin hair by the ears like you do. do you also have itchy/inflamed scalp? i see a bunch of red bumps on your scalp but that could just be acne.
It's itchy sometimes but not bad which I kind of just thought would have been due to the minoxidil. What does the back of your head look like? I'm missing quite the decent amount there as well (which f*****g sucks cause if my hair loss isn't due to my thyroid no hair transplant for me..)

OldnBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That side area might have something to do with it, but the rest looks like male pattern baldness.

Yoadrian

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Turns out my thyroid is 4 times lower than normal. What are the chances my diffuse thinning is due to my thyroid issue and if it is, can it be fixed? 22 year old male, been thinning since 19.5-20 (low thyroid symptoms have been happening for around the same amount of time give or take).

If i may ask, what are your levels?

Yoadrian

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If i may ask, what are your levels? and symptoms if any..not regarding the hair department

dupapls

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's itchy sometimes but not bad which I kind of just thought would have been due to the minoxidil. What does the back of your head look like? I'm missing quite the decent amount there as well (which f*****g sucks cause if my hair loss isn't due to my thyroid no hair transplant for me..)

back of head:
https://i.imgur.com/rakU5qs.jpg

side:
https://i.imgur.com/ysfR4sy.jpg

front:
https://i.imgur.com/Wl5rsS6.jpg

as you can see, i am basically nw0 with decent volume on top and definitely don't have typical male pattern baldness. however the sides and back are getting noticeably bad when short, and while it might not look THAT bad, trust me i used to have much more volume that has thinned out diffusely, slowly but surely over 10+ years.

If i may ask, what are your levels? and symptoms if any..not regarding the hair department

sure:

TSH: 1.86
T4: 6.7 ng/dl
T4, free, direct: 1.62 ng/dl
T3, free: 2.9 pg/ml
reverse T3: 20.5 ng/dl
T3 uptake: 32 %
Free T4 index: 2.1
thyroid peroxidase (TPO): 16 iu/ml

iron: 192 ug/dl (high)
iron saturation: 64 % (high)
ferritin: 76 mg/nl (lowish)
transferrin: 245 mg/dl
vit d: 30 nl/ml (lowish)
vit b12: 463 pg/ml

symptoms are extreme sluggishness in the morning and very high levels of energy at night, but that might just be due to my night owl lifestyle. low overall body temperature, as low as 96.7~ in the morning. slight cold intolerance. some brain fog/lethargy. dry skin that looks anemic sometimes. i was nearly certain i'd test positive for hypothyroidism, so it was surprising when everything came back looking pretty normal.

what are your levels/symptoms (same question for op)? does anyone know if you can have hypothyroidism even with a "normal" thyroid blood panel?

Last edited:

Yoadrian

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
back of head:

side:

front:

as you can see, i am basically nw0 with decent volume on top and definitely don't have typical male pattern baldness. however the sides and back are getting noticeably bad when short, and while it might not look THAT bad, trust me i used to have much more volume that has thinned out diffusely, slowly but surely over 10+ years.

sure:

symptoms are extreme sluggishness in the morning and very high levels of energy at night, but that might just be due to my night owl lifestyle. low overall body temperature, as low as 96.7~ in the morning. slight cold intolerance. some brain fog/lethargy. dry skin that looks anemic sometimes. i was nearly certain i'd test positive for hypothyroidism, so it was surprising when everything came back looking pretty normal.

what are your levels/symptoms (same question for op)? does anyone know if you can have hypothyroidism even with a "normal" thyroid blood panel?

These are my numbers...i don't even know what the elevated number below is supposed to mean. do you?
THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE 4.760 uIU/mL normal levels are between 0.270 - 4.200 uIU/mL

T4, FREE, DIRECT 1.35 ng/dL normal levels are between 0.80 - 1.90 ng/dL

dupapls

My Regimen
Reaction score
since your levels are low, has your doctor said a change in diet could help you?

i haven't talked to a doctor about my issues. i ordered my labs through an online lab service. my diet is already pretty healthy but certainly not perfect. i'm mainly gluten and dairy free but do indulge in a beer or 10 sometimes :) . i could be sensitive to some of the things i eat but i wouldn't even know where to begin looking into that.

has your doctor commented on your tsh levels? even though 4.7 might be "within range", many new studies show that even levels above 2.5~ can indicate a problem, so definitely talk to your Doctor. also get your thyroid antibody levels checked. tsh and free t4 may not be enough to diagnose a problem.

Yoadrian

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i haven't talked to a doctor about my issues. i ordered my labs through an online lab service. my diet is already pretty healthy but certainly not perfect. i'm mainly gluten and dairy free but do indulge in a beer or 10 sometimes :) . i could be sensitive to some of the things i eat but i wouldn't even know where to begin looking into that.

has your doctor commented on your tsh levels? even though 4.7 might be "within range", many new studies show that even levels above 2.5~ can indicate a problem, so definitely talk to your Doctor. also get your thyroid antibody levels checked. tsh and free t4 may not be enough to diagnose a problem.
Yea, i gotta talk to him.. 2 years ago it was fine.. Now the number is what i posted... I only saw the nurse though.. She said it was recomended at this time.. But i have other health related issues, so who knows ..that might be Telogen Effluvium cause of it.. Thanks my good man

Screeech

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
back of head:

side:

front:

sure:

Have same sh*t: dry skin (face/ feet/ penis head), low energy (yawn 20 times a day), get cold extremely easy (develop chilblains during winter on fingers/ toes), DUPA hairloss on horseshoe on back of head.

TSH was 3.5 first time test and 2.75 second time tested.

I am going to re-test once again and maybe just take some NDT now that I have my hair loss in order and see what happens!

Posh

My Regimen
Reaction score

Female here.

Your reverse t3 is high. Although it's within range it's not optimal by any means. Optimal is 11 and anything over 15 causes hypo symptoms. Google reverse t3

Screeech

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
what did you do to halt your hair loss?

Clascoterone (aka "The Third Official Hair Loss Treatment - coming out officially in a few years, but can be bought online from China now", after finasteride didn't work.

HeatVision

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
back of head:

side:

front:

sure:

Yeah you do have thyroid problems lol. 16 is already suspicious for TPO when it should be under 9. Your RT3 is 20 when it should be below 15. What are your other symptoms?

dupapls

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah you do have thyroid problems lol. 16 is already suspicious for TPO when it should be under 9. Your RT3 is 20 when it should be below 15. What are your other symptoms?
hmm it shows me within range for everything on my lab (TGab is <1). <35 for tpo and <25 for rt3. however some sources do state that these are technically high, and some say having any tpo antibodies at all is a red flag. do you have any sources/studies i can check out to confirm these?

as for other symptoms i've developed pretty bad insomnia this past year. i have a hard time falling asleep and when i do i keep waking up every 2 hours on the dot. it feels like my cortisol is completely out of whack and i have pretty bad anxiety throughout the day that doesn't seem to have an obvious trigger. last year i had a few months straight of very hard stool and my gut was doing some interesting things. my hair situation has also got worse since my last post. the sides of my scalp are completely nuked in volume. what would you suggest i should do at this point? thanks.

Last edited: