Trying for a baby- Shall i start taking finasteride now or wait?

m.gibson

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there, we've been trying for our second child for two months. I really want to get back on finasteride but i'm aware that it's risky. Although were both healthy and had no problems with the first one i'm thinking what if it takes up to 6 months and i will continuously loose ground.

Please share your views from those experienced. I wont even mind a sentence reply as I dont seem to get many replies on here......

wilson2

Established Member
Reaction score
How long do you figure it will take to have your second child? 6 months sounds a bit long? Do you have fertility issues? I only wonder because it seems like you would be able to conceive before you would "lose too much ground".

Hammer

Established Member
Reaction score
The only risk is if your wife was to come into contact with finasteride powder, as far as I am aware.

br1

Reaction score
I had a (healthy) kid while on finasteride.. but if you are not taking it yet, I would wait.

But it all depends on how long you will take to do it. :)

m.gibson

Established Member
Reaction score
No fertility issues, i just want both things to happen quickly i guess. Regarding loosing ground, my hair has got really bad in the last 6 months to a point that even concealers dont stick. So i wonder what could happen if i waited another 6 months. I have started to use minoxdal, nizoral and biotin in the last month.

wilson2

Established Member
Reaction score
No fertility issues, i just want both things to happen quickly i guess. Regarding loosing ground, my hair has got really bad in the last 6 months to a point that even concealers dont stick. So i wonder what could happen if i waited another 6 months. I have started to use minoxdal, nizoral and biotin in the last month.

So to get your wife pregnant without fertility issues you would have 30% chance in one month, 60% chance in three months and 80% chance in six months. So lets say it took you 3.5 months to confirm that you got your wife pregnant. I don't think you would lose any serious grounds in that time. Using minoxidil and nizoral should slow down your hairloss as well.

robot_hair

Reaction score
Our fertility doctor said Propecia should cause no problems at all (except that the woman should not touch the pills of course.) However, Propecia can cause erectile issues, which could be a problem if you are trying to have sex as much as possible around ovulation.

m.gibson

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks chaps i'm glad you were there for me when i needed you!!! I think i will wait another month. Hopefully mrs will get pregnant!

m.gibson

Established Member
Reaction score
Just an update! Been trying for 4 months for baby number two, no joy yet! Im thinking shall I start finasteride or not. What are your thoughts? My concern is that I dont want my count lowered!
My hairloss is really getting to me at the moment.............

tbone3

Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation. My gf wants to get pregnant. I'm on finasteride and don't want to stop using it unless I have to for the health of the baby. Our doctor said no issues with finasteride and pregnancy unless my gf gets in contact with finasteride powder directly. I want to be sure not to put the baby in any potential risk from finasteride.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation. My gf wants to get pregnant. I'm on finasteride and don't want to stop using it unless I have to for the health of the baby. Our doctor said no issues with finasteride and pregnancy unless my gf gets in contact with finasteride powder directly. I want to be sure not to put the baby in any potential risk from finasteride.
I am just curious. Do you want to be tied to this girlfriend for the rest of your life?

tbone3

Reaction score
I am just curious. Do you want to be tied to this girlfriend for the rest of your life?

I think so. Who plans to make a baby with the mindset of leaving the woman afterwards? Doctor, how is this question relevant to finasteride and the health of the baby? If for some reason I would have the strange plan of having a baby with this girl only to leave her after, I would still want the baby to be healthy.

m.gibson

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All, thanks to everyone for their input! Found out this week that we are expecting so im getting in finasteride!! I will be taking 0.625 strength (Cutting 5mg pill).

I'm also on minoxidal 5%, biotin and keto shampoo! Lets hope i can have a bit of re-growth!