Trying Emu Oil, Monoxidil, Dmso Estriol Blend

Lyn_from_UK

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do not copy me. For information only.

I have general overall thinning from 15 years of impossible stress and I wished to try to thicken my scalp hair up, I also have modest recession at the frontal area.

Emu Oil, Minoxidil and the type of Estrogen called Estriol all have some part to play in scalp hair improvement. I decided to make a blend of all 3. I had to use DMSO as a solvent for the base hormone Estriol, which is otherwise rather difficult to dissolve.

Web research of home-brew attempts, showed the use of DMSO as a Minoxidil penetration enhancer was anecdotally causing terrible headaches in many, which was taken as a warning signal and caused many to give up. So I wanted to back off on the amount of DMSO I used in my own solution - I used DMSO for years, DMSO is an incredibly powerful skin penetrator/drug vehicle and only a small amount is actually ever needed.

I only use a few drops of the concentrated Estriol base-hormone/DMSO solution mixed into the 1mL of Kirkland Minoxidil and equal volume of pure Emu oil. 4 drops, supplying 4mg of Estriol per session.

I always mix the final blend fresh, just before use, in a cleaned egg cup. I dropper a couple of drops all over my scalp, massaging in. It does absorb impressively fast.

A week in, no headaches. I'll report back in due course if any hairs rise from the sleep. I never used Minoxidil or any other substance on my scalp hair before this test btw.

Do not copy me. It could cause problems, who knows, so just read for now, please.

Last edited:

Lyn_from_UK

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just a quick update
Pretty pleased with new hairs already waking up again this early.Nicely pigmented too

Attachments

• 5488D64F-5918-4005-BBF3-AF759F2BE573.jpeg
    5488D64F-5918-4005-BBF3-AF759F2BE573.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 345

Lyn_from_UK

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow, more and more newly woken hairs. (Photo - frontal hairline 1 inch away from terminal-hair hairline)

ok, I need to disclose I am seeing body hair where I feel uncomfortable, eg sternum, legs. I know it’s not really permanent but I’m going to drop the minoxidil to 1 application per day.

the Estriol-rich DMSO/Emu oil continues as before.

4B881FD3-E2B2-4608-8445-94000A5F1608.jpeg

Last edited:

Lyn_from_UK

My Regimen
Reaction score
These are 50x magnified images, 3/4 inch away from my front hairline. Pretty much where the hairline was when I was a teen (the image is upside-down)

2-3 minutes after application of my solution, I taste the familiar DMSO 'garlic' taste, which assures me it's absorbing well (and taking in everything else with it)

Last edited:

Lyn_from_UK

My Regimen
Reaction score
00B4F411-970E-4A36-814F-EFFA506490D3.jpeg

Same area as the previously images. Definite, real, rapid progress. Still intend to give this the full 90-days before saying too much. No side effects, no shed...

Lyn_from_UK

My Regimen
Reaction score
quick update. Progress coming along fine, I have fully abandoned use of minoxidil as the DMSO was making it go systemic - I don’t want body hair. On the upside, the DMSO-Estriol and Emu oil seem to be working even better.
068F8E24-91B2-4E44-8D27-4BE53A371DE3.jpeg

Lyn_from_UK

My Regimen
Reaction score
So, will these puppies go fully terminal? Place your bets... c’mon folks a bit of feedback - were all learners here -)

Lyn_from_UK

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looking up towards the (terminal hair) frontal hairline. See the newly woken follicles amongst the established terminal hairs
D598B0F4-6126-4DC6-B110-E85D9FC0F5D0.jpeg

Lyn_from_UK

My Regimen
Reaction score
An interesting update - this mix is darkening the natural hair colour by around 3 shades (just the hairs that still have color - not the white hairs). I think it's the optical effect of the hair shafts being saturated with oil (Emu Oil and DMSO penetrate 'everything'). I guess it could all be washed out after a few days of avoidance, but that seems nuts as this is working and I use it at least once a day, every day.

Just for info - if you were blond, get used to being a brunette ;-)

Last edited:

Cancervive

Reaction score
Wow this is interesting! 10 years ago, about a year after my oophorectomy, I was thrown into early menopause at age 29. As you can imagine, I was devastated when I started losing hair. I had breast cancer ERPR+ so I couldn't take hormonal replacement. After some research I found spironolactone would work best for it's anti DHT effect however I wasn't happy that I could only purchase in S5 cream, expensive and a cream isn't a very effective vehicle to spread allover. So I made my own!!

This is my personal recipe, nothing scientific, I just wanted to see if it worked and it did!! I crushed about 20 (100mg) pills of spironolactone, dissolved in water to remove the fillers (spironolactone only dissolves in ethanol or DMSO but the filler dissolves in water). The spironolactone settled to the bottom, once settled, without trying disturb the spironolactone powder, I used a pipette to remove as much water as I could. Then I scooped the rest in a coffee filter and gently squeezed out the remaining water. I let the mush dry iin the coffee filter for a few days and was left with what I guess was pure or nearly pure spironolactone powder. Then I mixed this with a bit of Everclear 190 proof (ethanol) until it dissolved and I was left with a yellowish clear liquid. It was undeniably spironolactone and had the distinctive mercaptan odor. I mixed this into a bottle of Nuhair serum and used it over a few months on my temples, hairline and crown. My hair came back fast!! After a while, I cut my hair short and didn't have any major hair loss afterwards or if I did and it was very gradual.

Now here I am 10 years later, my hair is falling out aggressively at my temples, crown, and frontal scalp so badly that I can see straight through to my scalp. Again, I bought packs of spironolactone from alldaychemist. This time I dissolved it in DMSO and it dissolved very well. I have it covered in the fridge and waiting for the Nuhair serum to be delivered tomorrow. I've never used DMSO before so I'm a little worried from what I've read of how it makes anything absorb into your system but I'd rather do this than take the spironolactone internally. I do however take iron and a natural hair vitamin that has saw palmetto, biotin and other natural ingredients but I whole heartedly believe that topical spironolactone is what will make my hair stop falling out and bring my hair back since it did once before.

I may try using estriol in the mix but with my hx of breast cancer, not sure yet.
Good call on stopping minoxidil. There are way too many scary side effects with minoxidil.

For anyone reading, I don't recommend copying my recipe. There is alot of research that needs to happen and I don't know the exact percentage of my formula but I believe if I dissolve (4) 100mg tablets of spironolactone to 10ml DMSO and then mix that 10ml solution into 30 ml of the nuhair serum, I should have about 1% spironolactone solution. Apparently this is the maximum that can be dissolved into DMSO. 4.16gram to 100ml =.416 gram to 10ml. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Ughhh wish I didn't have to do this at all.

Last edited:

Cancervive

Reaction score
So yesterday I mixed some spironolactone powder with DMSO and added some distilled water. OMG this stuff smells like rotton eggs! I got my nuhair serum in the mail today and warmed it up a little, mixed in the rest of the spironolactone powder (about 1.5 grams) to 90ml of the nuhair serum, and voila, it dissolved. Maybe not 100% but I think enough that some will get to the roots. The second ingredient in Nuhair is alcohol, which will dissolve spironolactone. I am so done playing mad scientist here. I'll use this concoction and report back in a few weeks.

Lyn_from_UK

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good thread Lyn. Is the progress continuing for you?

Thanks Steve,

Progress continues well. The frontal scalp area, new hairs continue to slowly lengthen and thicken up, increasing in number. No mass change yet to what I would describe as 'Terminal and Obvious to others' but I am confident it just needs more time (rolling back 30 years is a challenge)

What IS obvious is the overall feel of thickening of hair mass on the entire scalp. I omitted to mention I have been applying the mix to my whole scalp, the top vertex area too. I didn't have a problem there, but the vertex is a convenient area to image check for results.

The top image is just a few week in, note the majority of mostly established, Terminal hairs. The pores and follicles so look alarmingly huge under magnification don't they ? ;-)

Below image was taken this week, note the explosion of new hairs...they are young, but thickening monthly and growing like weeds. Again, I feel very confident this is a viable formula, it feels great not needing to rely on Minoxidil any more (why - I am female and don't want body hair)

No shed.....none...
both.jpg

Lyn_from_UK

My Regimen
Reaction score
So yesterday I mixed some spironolactone powder with DMSO and added some distilled water. OMG this stuff smells like rotton eggs! I got my nuhair serum in the mail today and warmed it up a little, mixed in the rest of the spironolactone powder (about 1.5 grams) to 90ml of the nuhair serum, and voila, it dissolved. Maybe not 100% but I think enough that some will get to the roots. The second ingredient in Nuhair is alcohol, which will dissolve spironolactone. I am so done playing mad scientist here. I'll use this concoction and report back in a few weeks.

Hello, the use of topical spironolactone' sounds interesting, I would also recommend adding in Emu oil at some stage as this has some pretty powerful anti-androgenic effects in its own right, while feeding the skin and follicles. It can only enhance absorption of other substances too, as it uniquely penetrates all the layers of skin, taking in with it anything mixed in (within reason as long as the molecules aren't too big).

Estriol, I am convinced is the Big Kahuna of skin rejuvenation and hair growth. To use it without much systemic effect, DMSO would need to be omitted. However, Estriol, in small amounts does dissolve nicely in Ethanol, which can then be cut 50-50 with distilled water to form an old 1960's patented formula that reported profound results for women. I make a handy bottle of 100mg Estriol powder dissolved in 50 ML ethanol, shake to dissolve, then when clear I add distilled water to 100 ML, keep in dark in fridge (I make just a small amount so it doesn't degrade before I use it). A few pumps massaged into a washed, lightly damp scalp goes into the scalp nicely, with no stickiness. I have set using this formula aside while I let my Emu-oil-DMSO experiment run, but if I didn't want systemic absorption of Estriol, I'd use the basic Ethanol mix. And after a week I'd look at getting a blood test for Estriol levels, here the cost would be around £60, just to feel sure.

Nice to hear from you

Lyn_from_UK

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would add the use of DMSO and the physical act of regular scalp massaging has increased skin turnover (and hence dandruff slough considerably), but it washes away nicely with Nizoral - really opens up the follicles to allow the active substances to enter. When using Emu oil, I can use Nizoral daily if I needed.

Lyn_from_UK

My Regimen
Reaction score
IMG_0054.JPG
The formerly tiny vellus hairs at the hairline are growing thicker and longer, starting to add spring and volume that can at last be felt. thickening up nicely. In this image, only 9 of the obviously thicker hairs were pre-existing terminal hairs. All the rest is new growth from the estriol-Emu-DMSO.

I am taking a break from dying my hair for a few months, hence the colourless hairs. Comes to us all...

Lyn_from_UK

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, time for an update. The frontal hairline has improved considerably. The existing terminal hairs have indeed thickened and strengthened to the point they 'stand up' from their own tensile strength so much better its startling. The actual hairline has moved forward in places by 1/4 to a full 1/2 inch which is very pleasing. The most noticeable thing remains the 'feel' of there being so much more hairs, it just feels so damned good. I have been applying the solution to my entire scalp now, each night. After a year, I hope to be able to report a measurably thick ponytail (not long enough yet to collect all the hair yet! ) The whole skin looks so much healthier, it looks lovely and pink and feels thicker and very elastic.

Recently...I have added 1cc of 0.1% Tretinoin to the solution (dissolves fine shaking it all in the bottle of distilled water) as I want to see if I can improve the frontal hairline more. This addition of Tretinoin feels very dramatic, as within 3 days you can feel the scalp tingling. Tretinoin will I hope, do its bit to thicken the scalp skin and also add collagen and blood capillary proliferation. We'll see what happens, I have added extra Emu oil to counter the slight itching that the Tretinoin is causing.

Comments on the images welcome. I had some small scars on my forehead which assist in accurate placing x-marks to judge the before-after better. I am still not dying my hair in the COVID layoff, most of my front hairline is pure-white (transparent) hairs so when I do recolour my hair it will look even better

I also want to state something very important, the 'normal' hair shed of (estimate) 100 or so hairs, has been all but halted. I conservatively see less than 20 hairs shedding after washing/brushing. This has been incredible to witness.

Not bad for 'no minoxidil' !!!

Frontb4after.jpg
templeb4after.jpg

Last edited:

Lyn_from_UK

My Regimen
Reaction score
If any of you wish to try this method or something similar using topical oestrogen hormones, please be responsible. If you have pets, please be aware cats and dogs often like to lick where your head had been as, going by my own experience, they find the smell and taste of Emu Oil irresistible. if any traces of estrogen hormones are then licked by the pet from furnishings, pillows, cushions where your hair has been then the pets will absorb a lot of estrogen. It will cause them serious harm very quickly indeed. Estrogen hormones can wreck their bone marrow and cause all manner of fatal conditions.

(this also applies to women who apply topical HRT to their arms etc, don't EVER let your pets lick where you apply topical HRT for the same reason)

Please, be responsible. Regard your freshly-treated-scalp as dangerous to all pets until you wash it. I find washing my hair 1/2 hour after solution application, still allows full deep-stimulation of skin/hair receptors, while allowing me to enjoy sharing household space with my pets without harming them. That's the beauty of DMSO, it works fast !

SteveTabernack

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, time for an update. The frontal hairline has improved considerably. The existing terminal hairs have indeed thickened and strengthened to the point they 'stand up' from their own tensile strength so much better its startling. The actual hairline has moved forward in places by 1/4 to a full 1/2 inch which is very pleasing. The most noticeable thing remains the 'feel' of there being so much more hairs, it just feels so damned good. I have been applying the solution to my entire scalp now, each night. After a year, I hope to be able to report a measurably thick ponytail (not long enough yet to collect all the hair yet! ) The whole skin looks so much healthier, it looks lovely and pink and feels thicker and very elastic.

Recently...I have added 1cc of 0.1% Tretinoin to the solution (dissolves fine shaking it all in the bottle of distilled water) as I want to see if I can improve the frontal hairline more. This addition of Tretinoin feels very dramatic, as within 3 days you can feel the scalp tingling. Tretinoin will I hope, do its bit to thicken the scalp skin and also add collagen and blood capillary proliferation. We'll see what happens, I have added extra Emu oil to counter the slight itching that the Tretinoin is adding.

Comments on the images welcome. I had some small scars on my forehead which assist in accurate placing x-marks to judge the before-after better. I am still not dying my hair in the COVID layoff, most of my front hairline is pure-white (transparent) hairs so when I do recolour my hair it will look even better

I also want to state something very important, the 'normal' hair shed of (estimate) 100 or so hairs, has been all but halted. I conservatively see less than 20 hairs shedding after washing/brushing. This has been incredible to witness.

Not bad for 'no minoxidil' !!!

View attachment 143161 View attachment 143162

Looks like massive results to me, congratulations.

What's the exact formulation of your topical now?

Lyn_from_UK

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks Steve, I would like to give it a while longer to state on side-effects, I have proof a LOT of the Estriol does go systemic (body-wide), it needs respect for the harm it could cause, not only to to women, but pets and men. I am working on getting the dose of Estriol right down low as I can.