Tried DIM supplement and it actually works?

hairDespair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I had my bloodwork done a while ago and my estrogen levels were borderline high. Out of curiosity, I was reading on ways to lower it and saw something about this DIM supplement that can slightly help regulate levels somehow. I think supplements are 90% usually just pissing money away(literally), but figured why not try it. To my surprise, I've had the old morning wood return after being gone for years(been on finasteride over a decade), and my persistent adult acne(minor, but never goes away) that I've been battling for years has mostly dried up. I know it's anecdotal, but I'm actually surprised by the results. I'm now curious to see my levels if they've actually been affected

Ticken

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I had my bloodwork done a while ago and my estrogen levels were borderline high. Out of curiosity, I was reading on ways to lower it and saw something about this DIM supplement that can slightly help regulate levels somehow.
May I ask, which blood test/s for Estrogen were done, Total Estrogens (Estrone, Estradiol, Estriol) or just Estradiol?

I'm speaking from a female perspective but when DIM works as it's supposed to, it should lower Estrone (the bad/old lady estrogen) and leave Estradiol alone. Although, in many women's experience it doesn't always work that way and can instead lower Estradiol levels (which you may or may not be happy having lowered as a male).

There may be some correlation between abundant/healthy Estradiol Levels and Increased Hair Growth, even in males, so you may not want to nuke your Estradiol Levels completely. Just wanted to put that out there as another perspective to consider.

Last edited:

hairDespair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
May I ask, which blood test/s for Estrogen were done, Total Estrogens (Estrone, Estradiol, Estriol) or just Estradiol?

I'm speaking from a female perspective but when DIM works as it's supposed to, it should lower Estrone (the bad/old lady estrogen) and leave Estradiol alone. Although, in many women's experience it doesn't always work that way and can instead lower Estradiol levels (which you may or may not be happy having lowered as a male).

There may be some correlation between abundant/healthy Estradiol Levels and Increased Hair Growth, even in males, so you may not want to nuke your Estradiol Levels completely. Just wanted to put that out there as another perspective to consider.
It was estradiol and estrone that were done. I think it was the estradiol that was the highest. Not really sure how it works. I'll be glad if it just keeps some acne at bay. The only thing that worked on that was antibiotics, but those have lost effectiveness. I'll keep that in mind about estradiol. My level was like 1 point or 2 below the cutoff for being high. I doubt this supplement would lower it drastically if it does

nachos

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It was estradiol and estrone that were done. I think it was the estradiol that was the highest. Not really sure how it works. I'll be glad if it just keeps some acne at bay. The only thing that worked on that was antibiotics, but those have lost effectiveness. I'll keep that in mind about estradiol. My level was like 1 point or 2 below the cutoff for being high. I doubt this supplement would lower it drastically if it does
Update?

nachos

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not sure on estrogen effects. Had an additional test for ultrasensitive months ago and it was normal. Breakouts definitely improved. Have been mostly clear since taking daily
Thanks! It’s certainly helping my nipple sides. I just read that it made some shed? But that’s probably coincidental. I can’t think of ANY reason as to why it would. Did it cause you to shed?

hairDespair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks! It’s certainly helping my nipple sides. I just read that it made some shed? But that’s probably coincidental. I can’t think of ANY reason as to why it would. Did it cause you to shed?
I don't know what's normal and what isn't on shedding(I think counting hairs is a trip to crazy town lol). My hair has gotten longer and I find hairs everywhere, so who knows

nachos

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know what's normal and what isn't on shedding(I think counting hairs is a trip to crazy town lol). My hair has gotten longer and I find hairs everywhere, so who knows
Ive noticed my hair getting much thinner the past week, honestly. But idk if it’s the shed or dim haha! I also get some scalp burning when taking it so idk

hairDespair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
DIM causes gyno if you’re on Finasteride. Avoid it.
Hmm...That's the opposite of what I've read. DIM is what many people use to prevent gyno

Edit: Actually, I did read that an excessive amount(like >200mg/day) can lead to that. Forgot about that. But supposedly if you keep the dosage low, it's beneficial. I only do 100mg

Last edited:

skyline999

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
DIM is supposed to help metabolise Estrogen from a bad pathway to a good pathway but supposedly it also acts like an anti androgen so when I took it with finasteride/propecia I ended up with tender breasts and breast tissue confirmed by ultrasound.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
DIM is supposed to help metabolise Estrogen from a bad pathway to a good pathway but supposedly it also acts like an anti androgen so when I took it with finasteride/propecia I ended up with tender breasts and breast tissue confirmed by ultrasound.
How do you get it? Is it related to Prostaglandin measures? They might work or be synergistic with other meds but they don't seem to do much without proven meds in conjunction.

skyline999

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You can buy it online like an over the counter thing, I think Amazon banned it in the UK, it’s closest relative or non active/less potent form would be Indole 3 Carbinol

nachos

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No, that’s not the reason. The finasteride did that. It doesn’t happen immediately for some. Some, it takes months to get the first sensations of gyno from finasteride. DIM didn’t cause it. Finasteride did. Stop spreading bullshit. You’re misleading people. It completely resolved my gyno.

skyline999

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No, that’s not the reason. The finasteride did that. It doesn’t happen immediately for some. Some, it takes months to get the first sensations of gyno from finasteride. DIM didn’t cause it. Finasteride did. Stop spreading bullshit. You’re misleading people. It completely resolved my gyno.
Why don’t you get your facts right before calling BS. Read up on DIM it can act like an anti androgen in some and when taken with finasteride it can lower DHT, increase T further which will have nowhere to go but to convert to E. Think about why some doctors recommend DIM to some enlarged prostate patients.

Mate do your reading before pointing the finger at someone who’s trying to help. You’re a thorn in the stem of a flower. Work that out.

Last edited:

Baldingtooyoung

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why don’t you get your facts right before calling BS. Read up on DIM it can act like an anti androgen in some and when taken with finasteride it can lower DHT, increase T further which will have nowhere to go but to convert to E. Think about why some doctors recommend DIM to some enlarged prostate patients.

Mate do your reading before pointing the finger at someone who’s trying to help. You’re a thorn in the stem of a flower. Work that out.
DIM is also shrinking my gyno AND clearing up my acne AND giving me good libido.

It fucks my hair up like nothing else tho. Dread sheds every time i try it.