Treating Hair Loss With Topical Finasteride (finastopic)

Willy_Aer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new here. Let's start by saying that English is not my native tongue, so i hope not to cause youvtoo much headache for that.

Well, I just started 3 days ago a treatment my dermathologist recommended me with the confidence that will improve my situation and very low chances of having side effects. I am confindent with that, but I have to say I was surprised with the treatment and a bit scared of not having heard of anyome following it. I have to say she was recommended to me from close friends using finas treatment without any kind of sides (some for more than 10 years). She has been adapting their dosis for years and has a close follow-up of your evolution (even daily by email). This is what she gave to me for the next 6 months, telling that afterwards she would addapt it according to my evolution:
- Daily 1mg oral Finasteride.
- Daily application of Finastopic (topical finasteride)+Minoxidil 5%.

I just wanted to keep you updated of my evoultion since I think it would be interesting for you to know my ressults and potential (hope not) side effects. I can show you pictures if you want.

By the way, I am almonst 30 and I have all my head cover by head yet, buy am thinning for the whole top of my head. It was pretty obvious for the last 2 months, where I realised my first big lack of densities. So probably I would be defined as a diffuse thinner.

Best regards,
Willy

Willy_Aer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I forgot to say: what I find unusual is a daily combination of oral and topical finasteride.

g.i joey

Reaction score
I think it's smart to use topical finasteride, I personally found it to be too much of a mess and it would keep staining my headboard on my bed so I dropped it. I think it's a smart move for people who wanna take finasteride only a couple times a week.

If you're 30 in sure you will see success but please don't think about sides too much. If it comes to a point where you just can't deal with sides or the sides outweigh the benefits of finasteride then please make the wise decision and either taper down on dosage or stop completely.

Willy_Aer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@g.i joey why do you think 30 years is a good age for the treatment? I thought the younger you are the better you tend to respond to the treatment.
Besides that, I have heard and read about people using twice or three oral finasteride per week, and also 2/3 topical application. Buy in my case, both daily!! I thought it might be too much, since i thought 1mg is the maximum amount the system can absorb efficiently. According to my dermathologyst, topical finasteride act the problem from a different angle and that there is a good sinergy between both. I want to add that i have asked some friends (6 as far as i know) who are using finasteride for years without any kind of sides...3 of them for more than 10. Al of then with a certain level of success. That's what made me decide to step fwd with the treatment.

Last to months have been a true nightmare. I am soooo afraid of loosing my hair :(...

Willy_Aer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wanted to post some pictures as a starting point from my treatment. My intention is to let you track my evolution and ask for feedback...

d5lCvC.jpg

S85LNW.jpg

Am I too fucked up already? :(

Last edited:

Willy_Aer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not denying the reality, but take into account i tried to make the picture with most direct light I could...

It all happened in one month!! Last year my hair was very thin, but didn't have this diffuse balding at all. Do u think my treatment is well suit to my problem? I'm desperated...

jd_uk

Reaction score
I think it's smart to use topical finasteride, I personally found it to be too much of a mess and it would keep staining my headboard on my bed so I dropped it. I think it's a smart move for people who wanna take finasteride only a couple times a week.

If you're 30 in sure you will see success but please don't think about sides too much. If it comes to a point where you just can't deal with sides or the sides outweigh the benefits of finasteride then please make the wise decision and either taper down on dosage or stop completely.

Where did you get your topical finasteride from and can you tell me more please about what was involved with using it? (Things like how long it needed to be applied for etc). In what way is it messy?

Was this the hasson and wong topical finasteride which is not supposed to go systemic? It does make me wonder how safe it is to be getting finasteride everywhere (on bed/pillows etc) and also of the risks to other people.

Willy_Aer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It was prescripted by my doctor: the product is finastopic+minoxidil 5% isdin master formula. No idea it it's the same as Hasson's...i will investigate it and will come with further data. Take into account that I'm very new to this "balding world" and am still learning the basics.
About Finastopic: almost all dermathologists in my city are prescripting it lately. I was told to apply once per day sprying 2/3 times everytime (it seems difficult to control the exact amount applied and it's something i'm a bit concerned about). My doctor asked to be very constant with the oral finasteride, but on the other hand I could skip some days the topical minoxidil+finasteride if I like or just can't (just bc I am for one week on holidays or wharever). Therefore it seems as if it wasn't "the core" of the treatment for her. Since you can do it before going to bed it's rather confortable and I like the way it hardens my hair...so to me it's not messy at all.
Besides that, i live with my girlfriend and now you make me wonder what special precautions should I have not to contaminate everything with finasteride. Honestly, I hadn't thought about it and not too much advice was given to me either. Not sure if it's significant the amount that can be passed to her. I will ask my doctor about it.

Willy_Aer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What is my situation? Any advice?

More pictures from day 0 of the treatment:

1kz5YS.jpg
CaYWDq.jpg

skNKFz.jpg
vstEdR.jpg
t6LTry.jpg
LTk0gB.jpg
DquUZv.jpg

Last edited:

Willy_Aer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
First week and first sides: i'm horniest as ever. My libido has increased! It is even possible?

Could anyone please give me some feedback on my situation? Would you say the regime i'm following is well adapted to my problem? Something I should add?

I promise in exchange a good report of pictures to let you track if finastopic works well or not in combination with oral!
Thank you,
Willy

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yorr male pattern baldness isn't that advanced man. If you stabilize near there you'll be doing great.

Horniness can increase on finasteride. Libido and erectile function are not the same variable.

The typical response is a 15% increase in each of estrogen and testosterone, but that likely varies from person to person.

Willy_Aer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you to the moderators that changed the title. Just to point out I think it misses the point of the combination of topical+oral finasteride. Anyway: here is an update:
- After 20 days of treatment, it's soon to see any results. I just have the impression of my hair getting even thinner everyday which is freaking me out. The progress of the balding process looks very aggressive all of the sudden, after years being very slow. Now I can see my scalp with almost any kind of light. I see pictures of 1 year ago and it's amazig how bad can get your hair in such a short time. If wet it is a f*****g mess and I can see a big hole of density between my crown and my hairline (extrange pattern though), which is receding as well.
- No sides of any kind. Not positive or negative effects yet. Finastopic just act for me at the moment as a wax. It gives the impression of having more volume and gets harder when you have it. Then you wash your hair and back to the reality...

Will come back with pictures
Regards,
Willy

Morning Norwood

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey any update? Not that much if any regrowth should be expected this early. Perhaps reduction in itch (assuming you're one who gets male pattern baldness itch)?

Willy_Aer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was waiting to see something significant to report. But here we are:
- 1,5 months on "double finasteride daily session". I take a pill religiously everyday right after waking up with empty stomach. Everynight I wash my hair with a gentle anti loss shampoo and right after as my hair is dry I apply the liquid.
I never had itching nor bad shedding either. Just thining all over the horseshoe with some top 3 weekest points: righ temple triangle, hole between crown and hairline and cowlick.
- I am concerned about the amount of finasteride I'm applying topically. I have no idea how to control it. I just try to get all my scalp wet and let it dry. Maybe around 7 to 10 spray applications.
- 0 sides. During the second and the third week i had pimples in my scalp. I think I always had some (not that much for sure) so I can't say if it's due to the treatment or the hot summer in my country that makes you sweat all the time. Now it's normal again.
- I feel my hair might be healthier and and slightly thicker. But if I compare pictures I can't see much difference I guess. It depends soooo much on the light, the lenght of the hair...I have been a lot to the beach this summer and definetly the salt of the sea helps your hair to look thicker. Even after shower, being in the beach helps my hair to look so much better. So with all these factors is really difficult to make an assessment. Aniway my hair feels and looks better overall.
- I am thinking of adding to my regimen: 2/week ketoconazol 2% shampoo &/or buying minoxidil 5% to apply it every morning. I would be applying it twice daily (night with finastopic, morning just minoxidil). My fear is to lose even mire traceability of thr potential improvements.
- I am posting some pictures of the current state of my hair this afternoon.

Regards,
Willy

Willy_Aer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here I am posting pictures of 20 days ago. The following 3 were taken in the same minute but slightly different light. It is amazing how bad can I look with a harsh light. The 1st and the 3rd pictures were taken with just 5 cms of distance and note what a huge difference in thining. This is with harsh direct sunlight:
2vvvo9j.jpg

rj341l.jpg

dxd98g.jpg

The following pictures are all from just few minutes ago. 45 days after day 0.
28jzk.jpg
Trying with different lights and hair posititioning:
2sbwdup.jpg
t5hfgi.jpg

w6xfzl.jpg

206y253.jpg

Ditect sunlight:
9sgrpd.jpg[

6ocqbq.jpg

Sorry to make this a little bit my blog.

Attachments

• 20160828_170309-1.jpg
    20160828_170309-1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 498

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Your hairloss is just beginning Which is a great time to be proactive and take finasteride/minoxidil. With good luck you might be able to get back everything that you've lost so far.

I say stick with finasteride for like 3-6 months. You will first lose a bunch of hair then it will start to get better. Afterwards if you want to solidify your gains, start using Minoxidil 2x a day.

yellowbluegrey

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Best of luck brother!

I'm looking to add something effective to my regiment, as finasteride isn't working for me now especially after 3 years I'm seeing my hairline get really bad. I'm wondering if adding topical finasteride would be enough to hold it? Also wondering if that topical finasteride is available in the UK...

Willy_Aer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In your situation, I really believe you will regain lots of hair. Especially doing both oral and liquid Finasteride. That's a smart move on your part. I do both a lot as well. I'm adding solid Propecia (one milligram Finasteride in US) to my topical Minoxidil/Progesterone/finasteride.

Your hairline is in decent shape. You just have diffuse top, which is much better than a receding hairline (mild recession on temples, maybe, but it probably will go away. It might be slightly receded, but it looks like it's in the beginning stages, which can probably grow back.

It's not too late. I'm in my mid/late forties. And I grew a lot of hair back since 2013. It's true, I don't think I will ever be better than a Norwood three. But I went from a Norwood 4/5 to a Norwood three.

Also, I just got permission to raise my Progesterone/Finasteride dosage (topical). And I really do think I'm going to grow more hair back.

Thank you mate. Finger crossed! I just expect to thicken hair I already have, because I have almost full head of hair, but in a very weak position, like not that far from getting to NW5 quickly and eventually. My hairline has receded a little bit for the last ten years, very slowly. But for the last 6 months has thinned a lot and what gets me into panic mode is being able to see my scalp like a thining path above both temples thats tells me "this is how you will be in a short time, and it's kind of a NW4 or nw5". Hope you are right beacuse I am not that sure that finasteride can hold up the situation.

I saw your recent pictures. Your improvement has been huge! But why have you stopped with finasteride? Sides? Will you stick with topical?

All the best and keep us updated!

Willy_Aer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Best of luck brother!

I'm looking to add something effective to my regiment, as finasteride isn't working for me now especially after 3 years I'm seeing my hairline get really bad. I'm wondering if adding topical finasteride would be enough to hold it? Also wondering if that topical finasteride is available in the UK...

I am far from being an expert, but have you thought on switching to dutasteride?