Travelling And How To Deal With Potential Issues With A Hair System

fallendawn

My Regimen
Reaction score
So currently I am 18 and have been slowly thinning since I was 16 so I imagine come 21 I will be close to fully bald based on my own dads history. I have looked at a hair system for a solution and the one issue I seem to be worried about is travelling. Part of the reason for getting a system is to be able to be live my life with hair and I want to know if there is a solution for travelling.
1. Issue one is that say if you typically go in for maintenance every 4 weeks if I wanted to go on an extended trip say through Europe for 3 months, what could be a solution there? Would it be easy to book in another country to go in for maintenance?
2. If going through airport security and I am wearing the system with glue would it come up on a full body scanner and from there every time I go through would it be a major issue in them requiring me to remove it?

Just looking for some answers, just not ready to be bald so young.

Thanks.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Learn DIY and either take small quantities of remover or source locally.

No issues with airport security unless you are smuggling contraband under your piece.

fallendawn

My Regimen
Reaction score
Learn DIY and either take small quantities of remover or source locally.

No issues with airport security unless you are smuggling contraband under your piece.

Alright thanks so would you have to actually give yourself your own haircut?

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Fallendawn

In your first post you mentioned your understanding that you would typically go in for maintenance every 4 weeks. That is true if you are tied into a salon service, where the salon does everything for you. I think that kind of arrangement would make it very difficult for you to go travelling for 3 months. You would be reliant on finding a similar salon at regular intervals. You probably could find such places if you stick to the big cities, but you would have to spend a lot of time researching where the are, and there is definitely a good chance that they won't use the same adhesives or apply the same techniques. It would be a bit nerve-wracking.

The solution, as Grincher has said, is not to become dependent on a salon for maintenance. Learn to take your own system off, maintain it, and re-install it. It's really not that hard, and you can pick up the techniques in a week or two. Once you have, you are in control of your own system and your own look, and you are free to roam around the world to your heart's content, knowing that you will be able to cope with any eventuality. There are many reasons for becoming independent aside from freedom to travel. You will save a fortune and actually get a better result than you would get in a salon.

I travel a lot for work, mostly to fairly remote places, and I am often away for 2 or 3 weeks at a time. I also like to hike in the mountains for 2 or 3 weeks at a time, often sleeping under canvas. I do my own maintenance every week in hotel rooms or wherever I am. I carry the necessary supplies with me, plus a spare system. I have an undercut hairstyle, so I can do my own haircuts with a vacuum haircutter.

Incidentally, hair systems don't show up on airport security devices.

Noah

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Alright thanks so would you have to actually give yourself your own haircut?

After the initial cut in then I usually use clippers and cut my native hair without the piece on. Like Noah, this is perfect for the undercut style. This will be usually every 2-weeks when I reattach. Now this all depends on the hair cut you want versus practicality.

Which areas are you considering on travelling to? Someone in those regions might be able to give specific advice.