Transplant Diary

Kebabman

Reaction score
Hi guys, Crazydiamond, great news! Remind me how many grafts you've had in total now? What Norwood you reckon you're down to? That convinced you don't need anymore h/t's?

Sal1, pleased for you too my friend, things can only get better. :D

Well I'm now 13 weeks post surgery and definite signs of little fine light coloured hairs coming through. Not as quick or as thick as I'd hoped at this stage but in time am hoping I'm going to be very happy with what's been done. Pretty sure I'll need to go back to Dr Rose in Florida in February for 1 last h/t for a top up to really thicken things on top, maybe 1500-1800 grafts, so have got until then to see what progress I make.

Hey guys, let's keep this post going, been far too quiet lately! :lol:

sal1

Reaction score
Hey Kebabman. Good to hear from you too. Everything is good here. Just doing the wait-n-see routine. I can see some very very slight growth. I'll take it.

Hope all is well for you.
sal1

crazydiamond

Reaction score
Kebabman

Yes I think im at the max that can be done by hair transplant now. Ive had about 4500 units, aprrox 10,000 hairs. I have a small sized head too so has given me good coverage. Im about NW2-2.5 now and for my age thats just fine. I think I had massive shedding this time because they were being place closed together, so wont try any more. Just using Propecia on its own now, and will see how next 3 months go for people on dutasteride. All things considered happy with my decision to get hair transplant's done. Made a great deal of difference for my confidence.

Hope you other guys keep up the good progress.

thinman

Reaction score
experienced transplanters?

Thxs for all ur information.
im trying to plan ahead here and have two questions for this group:
1) instead of using ur back scalp hair, why dont they use ur leg hair or arm hair first? (cuz this hair is supposedly resistant to dht, and i have an unlimited supply lol..)
2) do u believe costs will come down, can u go from a norwood 7 to Norwood 2 for like 10k?

thanks
take care

crazydiamond

Reaction score
Hi thinman

The chances of going from NW7 to NW2 for 10k (not sure if thats US or UK), either way, no chance..sorry. I was probably nw4 to nw2 4500 grafts and total cost of £10000, but theres hotels and flights to figure as well. Also if you are considering arm or body hair, then FUE is the only option (Dr Woods, Jones...) and that is much more expensive per graft. What the docs would recommend is use scalp hair first, then if depleted use body hair. The hair at the back of the scalp is also resistant to DHT. Guess if you are NW7 then you may not have huge amounts of donor hair left, so its a bonus that body hair can be used. Think as more docs adopt FUE the price will come down, but not for a year or two yet.

thinman

Reaction score
thank u for u reply

thxs for the info...not a Norwood 7 but i like to look at it from worst case
scenario!

nene69

Reaction score
can someone give me some advice please

can someone give me some names of places or doctors that i can see and get a surgery on my hair im 23 and im losing hair from the front sides of my head and i would like to do surgery on it so it can regrow im into the pills and all so somsone please give me some doctors or places i can go to and visit it would b really nice thks alot [/b]

sal1

Reaction score
Hey Kebabman, CrazyD, Brucelee and all others. Happy New Year. Hope it starts well for you.

Its been a couple months since hair transplant. Its going well. Better than I expected to be honest. Early stages with the shed had me down, but after that passed its been fine.

No punch marks and a very thin scar that is tough to find. And the best part is its growing in.

How are you guys? Well I hope.
Thanks.
sal1

G

Three months post hair transplant. Doing fine, little buggers are sprouting all over the place. Very satisfied at this point.

Brucelee

ts808

Reaction score
Sal1,
I'm really glad to hear that your scar revision worked out. I have heard nothing but horror stories about scar revisions. I believe I read that your surgeon was Dr Bolton? How many hair transplant surgeries did you have before your last with the revision? What method did the doctor use (staples, sutures, double suture)? How big of an aer was taken out? I'm asking because I've have multiple surgeries and I'm concerned about the donor scar when I do the next. Sorry for all the questions, but I apreciate the feedback.

sal1

Reaction score
Hi TS808.

I do feel lucky to have had my scar fixed. I had three hair transplant's before this last one in October. All three of the previous hair transplant's were crown work. This last one in Oct. was the entire top of my head. I was very nervous about having frontal work done, but I'm very happy that I did. The guys here on this site helped me make my decision.

Any way the type of stitching I believe he called a "box stitch". From what I understand its been around for a long time, but its how tightly its done that makes the difference. He had to make the length of the scar longer to get more donar hair. That made me nervous. I thought I may be making things worse. But it worked out fine.

My first two hair transplant involved disolving sutures and thats why I had such a big scar. I mean 1/4" thick. Had me pissed off for years. I spent more time covering up that scar than I did covering my hair loss on top.

Dr. Bolton is a member of the PAI medical group. http://www.paihair.com Check it out. As far as scar revision it worked. Better than I expected, but that comes with a good Dr. I'm sure.

I hope this helps.
sal1

sal1

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I havent heard much from those who have had recent hair transplant's. Hope all is going well. I'm at 14 week post op stage and all is good. Very relieved that it turned out as it has.

I very happy with the results. I told people close to me what I did and they still cant tell. I just have more hair than I did before and its still very early. Dr. say 6 mont point it will be even more filled in.

I hope everyone else is well and happy with their results. Thanks to those who helped me here on this site.

sal1

G

4 months post hair transplant.. All is well and I am growing in nicely.

Brucelee

Kebabman

Reaction score
Hi Sal1, Brucelee and rest of guys,

Sal1, glad all is going well for you, remind me how many grafts you had done? Do you think you'll need another session?

Well I'm at 5 months after my second trip to Dr Rose in Florida. He really was the dogs bollocks, gotta be said, and a great guy with it even to the extent of emailing me since to find out how things are going. Thoroughly recommend him to anyone thinking of getting a hair transplant. It's been 10 months since my first session with him, a total of 2200 grafts mainly round the frontal region which are now really think and long. The second lot back in September amounting to 1650 grafts around the mid to back of head (he couldn't get anymore cos of the botch job I'd had done a few years ago by a so called surgeon in England called Dr Norton of the Norton Clinic) are not growing through as quickly as the first but I haven't been using Minoxidil like before to help speed the growth up, and have only started using Minoxidil again this week.

At a Norwwod 5A which I was I'll probably get one more session come April of about 1700 grafts, making a total of about 5500 grafts over 3 trips which should be more than enough for good thick density and to stop me ever using Toppik again!

I'm over the moon with what I've had done, best thing ever, and love waking every day to find hairs getting longer, darker and thicker, top feeling. Still using Toppik but hopefully only for the next 3 months, can't wait to bin it and the caps! :wink:

sal1

Reaction score
Hey Kebabman good to hear from you.

I had 1200 grafts. At this point I'm very happy with results. I have no plans to have additional work, but over the course of time I may. But just amazed and relieved. I have'nt used dermatch for a month and it feels great.

Glad to hear you're doing well. I hope it continues. Soon you'll ditch the toppik.

Thanks Kebab.
sal1

Kebabman

Reaction score
sal1, crazydiamond, guys how's the post op recovery going? And the new hair?

This topics been quiet for a while, hopefully because those little beauties on top are growing through thicker than a Mexicans tache!

I'm off for hopefully the 3rd and final time in 2 weeks to see Dr Rose in Florida, catch some rays, drink some cold uns, get even fatter, can't wait!

With a bit of luck Dr Rose can get between 1500 and 2000 grafts, which at a Norwood 5A making a total of about 5500 grafts should be enough for good dense coverage all over. Will let you guys know. Tis strange though, as my last lot of 1650 grafts back in September still haven't come through as quick as the first lot of 2200 last April which were round the frontal area, any ideas why this could be guys?

Anyway, have taken photos over the whole period and will put them on this site once I've got the desired final look.

sal1

Reaction score
Hey Kebabman. Good to hear from you. Im heading into fifth month and its great! The regrowth has been better than I expected. Best part is no punch marks are visible. I used to stress so much about my hair loss, but I got my hair back so I feel much better.

Not sure why your results from September are taking longer than your previous surgery. But they are coming in right? But just slower? I'm sure it varies from time to time, but they'll grow.

Good luck in Florida with next session. Lets see....more new hair, sun, beer, chicks... that doesn't suck. Have fun Kebabman. Good luck.

Thanks for the post.
sal1.

Kebabman

Reaction score
Sal1, long time no hear, thought you'd left the site for good!?

Really pleased your results are coming through, how long/thick is the new hair at 5 months? Have you got the transplant bug and tempted to have another session?

Really can't explain why things are so slow, didn't use Regaine this time round to help things along, would that make that much difference? Also my hair is very long (well except the new grafts) so maybe longer hair makes things look thinner?

Does anyone out there know how quick new grafts grow at? Of course the first 3-4 months nothing grows anyway, maybe am getting a bit paranoid. :?

Any comments as always appreciated. Hear from you soon Sal1, pleased for you matey.

G

Actually I am at month 5 and have had lots of regrowth (some hairs are at about 1.5 inches already. Started using minoxidil again at day 10 and have been on propecia and nizoral all along.

My hair transplant Doctor believes strongly that minoxidil speeds post transplant growth. Some research out thre to back him up on it.

Brucelee

sal1

Reaction score
Thanks Kebabman. I have well over 1 inch of growth at this point. I look at pictures I took the day before the surgery and I cant believe the difference.

At this point I have no plans for additional procedures. I'm happy with things as they sit now. If there's a need down the road I wont hesitate to have another session.

The Dr. gave me a bottle of Ross graft spray to use during the healing stage. Lasted me about 1 month. Whether it made a difference or not is hard to say, but things did grow faster than I thought they would.

Maybe the contrast between your longer hair and your new growing grafts makes it seem like things are going slower. How long is your hair? It is worth cutting to a uniform length and letting it grow out from there?

The day of surgery my hair was pretty long. But a couple days after hair transplant I cut it short.

I'm sure things will speed up for you. Its good to hear from you Kebabman. I still get on this site to see how everyone is doing. Its been silent at times but its good to hear from everyone when they chime in.

Hope all is well and thanks for the post.

sal.