Transplant Diary

sal1

Reaction score
Hey Kebabman, its down south to Florida for five days. It'll be nice since its cold and rainy here in Cleveland.

My Doctor told me not to expect any thing until about three months. He said regrowth could and does happen sooner for some, but that the 12 week mark is the strong point. So you're in good shape still.

Thanks again.
sal1

sal1

Reaction score
Reaching the three week mark. I'm losing a ton of hair due to shock. It has picked up pace for sure last few days. Wasnt able to avoid it. I just hope it comes back. I see some minor growth of grafts, but very minor. Still too early. I just hope this shed comes to an end soon.

Donar scar looks good. I'm very happy with that. Doctor. did a really good job with fixing my old scar. I never thought I'd get rid of that previous scar so thats a relief.

Kebabman, how are things with you? Anything yet? Crazydiamond how has your progress been? Brucelee? Hope everyone is well.

sal1.

G

Six week mark. Doing fine. NO shock loss that I noticed. Small hairs staring to poke through. I believe tha the minoxidil and Propeca have helped quite a bit.

Very happy with Dr. DeYarmen. Would recommend him to all.

Brucelee

crazydiamond

Reaction score
sal1

I know how you feel about the shedding. I emailed my pics to Dr Jones and he had never ever seen a shock loss so bad as mine. I lost nearly 75% of hair in front of the crown, including previous transplants. It has been tough last 6 weeks as it has been growing back in at different rates in different areas so just looked plain stupid. I buzzed my hair real short at the weekend and looks great as I can see nearly all are coming through and its all now a uniform length. Hang in there. Who did your surgery?

sal1

Reaction score
Crazydiamond,

Good to hear everything is coming back in for you. Thats a relief to hear.

I'd say I lost about 30% of my frontal hair at this point. If the shed would just slow down I'd feel better. I know how pissed I am with what I've lost so far, but you lost 75%? You had to be beyond pissed. I'm glad things have turned around for you.

I took pictures the day before surgery, some more right after surgery and some from last week. The pictures from last week until now show a good deal of loss.

Dr. Bolten here in Cleveland did my work. He told me of this being a possibility, but that I'd have to relax if it happened. So I guess thats what I should do, but its tough as you know.

CrazyD, how long did your shed last?

Thanks for the reply. You too Brucelee. Very helpful.

Thanks.
sal1

Kebabman

Reaction score
sal1, guys, how ya doing?

How was your trip sal? Plenty of sun? Where did you go? Was down in Tampa back in mid September, loved it, loadsa cheap cold beer, hot sun and the girls seem to love the English accent, top place all in all!

It's unusual to lose so much shedding post transplants. I was told very little would be lost. But in saying that, whatever is shed will grow back thicker and stronger, no need to panic :cry:

I'm now at the 10 week mark post surgery and at long last there are very fine hairs coming through, :D they are very fine and sometimes I think I'm imagining it. Can only be a matter of weeks now as I was told between 8-12 weeks results should come through. As we all know it's just all so slow, sick to death of wearing Toppik with people thinking you wear a "rug" :(

Anyways, nice to hear from you guys, and also that you're not alone with this nightmare problem, keep us informed.

sal1

Reaction score
Hey Kebabman good to hear from you. Went to Naples Florida. Weather was crap. Cold and rainy. Got about three hours of sun the first day and that was it. Still nice to get away though. Saw some very nice looking girls at the bar. Very nice!!

Glad to hear you're seeing regrowth. Got to feel good about that.

This shed has kicked my ***, but not much I can do at this point but wait.

I use Dermatch and I like you am tired of having to use cover ups. I hope the day comes that I wake up, put a bit of gel in the hair and get on with the day.

O.K. Kebabman good to hear from you and even better to hear of your regrowth starting.

Thanks.
sal1

whiskey

Established Member
Reaction score
Crazydiamond

Did you go to dr Jones when he was still doing strip or had he moved over to fue by then ?
If it was fue , how did the experience compare ?

Also , what was the journey like from UK to Canada . I am considering going to Jones next year & although the thought of fue procedure does not bother me a lot the sticking point at the moment is the journey .

Any information would be greatly appreciated

good luck

whiskey

kilimanjaro

Reaction score
Cleveland:

Sal1

I am also from Cleveland. Which surgeon did you use? How old are you? Hope things get better.

Kilimanjaro

sal1

Reaction score
Kilimanjaro,

Dr. Bolten was my surgeon. I feel good about his work. He fixed my donar scar from a previous hack job and did a great job on it. On my scalp itself there is no evidence of the transplants. I just am going through some shock shedding which he warned me of.

Its nothing he did wrong. I just have to wait for things to grow in.

You asked my age. I'm 35.

sal1

poet

Reaction score
I went to Dr.Jones

I went to Dr.Jones last week for about 1500 grafts. The surgery went fine, as for results it is too soon to say. I will report back in 3 months when, hopefully the results begin.

crazydiamond

Reaction score
whiskey

I reckon I must have been one of Dr Jones last strip patients. He tried some fue on me when I was there, and they worked a treat. The next week he converted totally over to FUE. I had strip done before, am a good healer and had no beef with the scar. Its been just over 2 months since my surgery and the scar is really thin and because of the massive shed i had I had to buzz real low and the scar is very thin. The journey was fine about 6.5 hours, plane ticket only cost about £250, and got a cancellation deal from Dr Jones, so cost was excellent. But costs are different now with FUE.

sal1

Hard to say with the shed, as there wasnt much left to shed, and im not exaggerating I have pics to prove it. It started to become noticeable about 2-3 weeks after surgery, am now 9 weeks post op and id say 75% is back but its very short so will take me a couple of months to get the rest and to get the length. Strange thing is I am begining to really like it very short.

sal1

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Crazydiamond. Sounds like things are coming along fine for you now. Good to hear.

I've had very little shed the last three days. I hope it stays this way and the shed is over. But I dont know if it goes in stages and may restart again so I'm not getting too excited yet.

My brother took a #3 clipper to my head. Scar is not visible. :D Before I got this scar revised a #5 clipper would be too short and show the scar big time. So I'm glad to be able to keep my hair shorter on back and sides now.

Thanks.
sal1

Kebabman

Reaction score
Hi guys, as the transplant sections gone a bit quiet thought I'd open it up again!

How you doing, sal1? Troy? Crazydiamond? Nice to see Pete2001 back on the site too, thought you'd left us mate!

Well, am 3 days short of the 12 week post transplant I had from Dr Rose and at last my prayers have been answered. :D Very small, fine, light little babies are coming through. It's such a relief as my first h/t with Dr Rose back in April I'm sure they came through at about the 9-10 week stage and not the 12 like this time. Tell you boys, tis huge relief, am so sick of using Toppik and giving the impression in the office, pub etc I'm wearing a rug. The day where it can be burnt will be a major :lol: one!

Too early to say whether at Norwood 5A and after a total of 3850 grafts I'll need another session, like not to of course, but reckon will have to come February time, so come next summer there'll be one completed Kebabman. :p

sal1

Reaction score
Hey Kebabman. Good to hear you got growth man. What relief you must feel. Very happy for you.

I'm just over four weeks so not much happening. Went through pretty good shed, but its done. Now I do like you did and wait. Sick of wearing hats all the time.

Good to hear you're doing well Kebab.

Thanks.
sal1

happyuk

Reaction score
uk experiences

:D I was a Norwood 6 in 2001. I have now had three transpants done. In my view it is all about the quality of the surgeon - NOT the clinic, as some would have you believe. My first one (800 grafts) was done @ Wellesbourne by Dr. Julian Goldstein who created an excellent & natural hairline. Very small and neat scar. The second (800 again) was done by another surgeon @ the same clinic - as Dr Goldstein had left. (They didn't tell me this 'til I was about to go in for the op! Was not so pleased with this one - scar was much wider, thicker & more visible and it took 3 visits to my GP to get the 'dissolving' stitches removed. I have just had the last one (1163 grafts) done by Dr. BESSAM Farjo. This time donor hair was taken from the sides of my head. Scars are virtually invisible and I didn't have anywhere near as much pain or trouble sleeping for the first few nights afterwards. It felt like a thoroughly professional job. Yes, it WAS more expensive, but in this world you generally get what you pay for - and this is something you don't want to skimp on. I went to Farjo because I wanted a good job and I INSISTED only he carried out the op. They may have crap pictures on the website - but do your research and check out his credentials. The results from this last one haven't grown through yet, but will keep you all posted. Incidentally, I do have before/after pic's from the first 2 jobs, but they won't post them on here 'cos they're taken with a webcam and are apparenty too poor quality!

Kebabman

Reaction score
sal1, thanks for the encouragement and kind words. Your little beauties will pop up before you know it. :)

happyuk, so in total you've had 2763 grafts? Presume at Norwood 6 you will need another session or two? What did Farjo think?

I'm trying to gauge how many more grafts I'll need to get done. I've had 3850 grafts at a 5A scale, judging by some of the guys on here you normally need between 5000-6000 grafts for that level of baldness.

happyuk

Reaction score
Think that's probably about it for me lads!! I have adequate density at the front now... and the farjo work should sort it out back to the crown. I've started propecia now, which will hopefully help with the crown, and as I brush my hair back the last one should pretty much cover it. I don't like the side effects of it at all however.
As I'm in my forties, I don't mind a little baldness around the crown as I think it should be fairly natural. It's easy to get addicted to the surgery I'm sure as it's boosted my confidence SO much!, but I'll probably wait until hair multiplication or something comes along. Am happy to contribute to the forums though. By the way, Mike Cartwright's pix were an unbelievable source of reassurance to me when I was waiting for the first results to come through - I would recommend anyone who is having work done for the first time to study his 'diary' carefully.

crazydiamond

Reaction score
Hows everyone doing post transplant now, sal, brucelee, kebabman.

Im really pleased now, at least 90% of my grafts and the horrible shed are back and its looking fantastic. Its a week short of 3 months, so will post pics in 4 weeks with what should be a good length that will show a near finished look(and just how bad the shed was too!). I dont think it would be possible for me to get any more hair transplant's as the density is as good as I think is possible by hair transplant, so looking forward to an easier routine now.

Hope you are all doing well.

sal1

Reaction score
Hey Crazydiamond,

Thats great news!! I'm happy the stress is gone for you and that you're feeling good about the results. I look forward to seeing the pictures you post.

My situation is fine. I'm 7 weeks post surgery. Shed stopped couple weeks ago. I see some small growth, but not enough to notice any difference. I got a ways to go. But I cant help but check every day.

Great to hear of your results Crazydiamond and thanks for the posts.

sal1