Transplant After Taking Finasteride For 10 Years

Suresby

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi there,

I can't find the answer to this so thought I would ask.

I have been taking Propecia / Finasteride for about 10 years with minoxidil. I have had great results although I do want to take the pills for the rest of my life.

If I get a hair transplant do I have to stop taking finasteride for say 12 months to get my hair to a 'natural' level and then I will know how much hair transplant to have or can I just have a transplant straight away?

After a transplant do you have to keep taking finasteride or not at all?

Thanks
James

cphil19

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi there,

I can't find the answer to this so thought I would ask.

I have been taking Propecia / Finasteride for about 10 years with minoxidil. I have had great results although I do want to take the pills for the rest of my life.

If I get a hair transplant do I have to stop taking finasteride for say 12 months to get my hair to a 'natural' level and then I will know how much hair transplant to have or can I just have a transplant straight away?

After a transplant do you have to keep taking finasteride or not at all?

Thanks
James

You will need to take finasteride or Min for 6 months after treatment to prevent total "shock loss" of new hair. Of course listen to what your doctor says, but common sense would tell me to allow your hair to go back to "natural" level first before doing the transplant, otherwise theres no guarantees on where adequate coverage levels.

Suresby

My Regimen
Reaction score
You will need to take finasteride or Min for 6 months after treatment to prevent total "shock loss" of new hair. Of course listen to what your doctor says, but common sense would tell me to allow your hair to go back to "natural" level first before doing the transplant, otherwise theres no guarantees on where adequate coverage levels.
That's what I think but I will ask a few doctors and see what they say

el_duterino

Reaction score
Dont stop finasteride now
Keep you follicles healthy

In 2-3 years we will have the finasteride replacement which is called Clascoterone - no side effects no systemic effect only topical but won't regrow lost hair

md2002

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had transplants and been taking finasteride for over 20 years. I never stopped taking it, before, after or during transplants.
I don't understand the question? If you stop taking finasteride, you're going to lose what you gained or what hasn't fallen out because of finasteride. I see no reason to stop taking it, even if you are having transplants.

I could hair less

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why useless?
This will be used by teenagers with a nw1 and they will be able to stay that way all their life
No need for hair transplants or regrowing hair anymore for this generation

I was referring to finasteride...that drug is the devil

maybe this new thing will be better, or maybe not

el_duterino

Reaction score
Finasteride is not devil
I used for 6 years and it worked great
No side effects
It saved my hair back then

Clascoterone is going to be better than finasteride as it blocks testosterone as well as dht which will help hairline maintenance over time

I could hair less

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride is not devil
No side effects

Clascoterone is going to be better than finasteride as it blocks testosterone as well as dht which will help hairline maintenance over time

very early on in that study...also you dont think that will have sides??

Vinc2097

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride is not devil
No side effects

then why you stopped using it ? no offense just curious