Trade article predicting recovery in the hair industry

Noah

Reaction score
People might be interested in this article:

SUNRISE, FLORIDA, USA, July 9, 2021 — Thin skin hair systems have become the most popular hair unit on the market, and Superhairpieces expects that trend to only continue this year ahead of Q4.

The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic greatly affected production in the hair system industry over the course of the last year, but one byproduct was the increased sales in thin skin hair systems compared to lace or monofilament bases.

Skin bases are made of pure polyurethane material with the hair directly knotted into it and sealed by more layers of clear polyskin. They tend to be very thin which make them look very natural on the scalp while providing comfort to the wearer and being easy to maintain.

Because there is less ventilation required in the manufacturing process, they were among the first units to recover for most hair suppliers during the pandemic. As per industry insights, Superhairpieces even estimates that 80-90% of all the available units on the market are currently skin bases.

“For lace and mono bases, ventilation usually makes up 70-80% of the cost in the manufacturing process, but with skin bases, it’s around 30% less,” Superhairpieces CEO George Li said. “Skilled ventilation workers usually make six to eight skin base units per month while lace units are usually four to five. In addition, training a ventilation worker to make a skin base can take at least three months while for a lace and mono base, it can take four to six months and nine months respectively.

“Along with the shortage of skilled ventilation workers in the industry, this is why skin bases are being prioritized and why they will continue to dominate the market.”

Superhairpieces expects the next base material to recover being the French and Swiss lace with lace systems overall recovering by the end of 2021. Mono bases, however, will take more time due to the time and costs involved in manufacturing given the current conditions.

However, the expectation is that the entire industry will recover by the end of 2022. “We were the first to recover with skin bases, and as we continue to currently sell the most mono hair units on the market, we expect to be the first to recover to full capacity with mono as well,” Li added.

hair4meTomorrow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow end of 2022. It's great to hear timeliness, but I am confused as to how lace is expected to be OK by the end of this year but the entire industry by a whole year later?

albar05

Established Member
Reaction score
Goes to show how we should always have 2 or 3 back up NEW systems in our possession ... shocking how quickly everything fell apart and things are taking so long to recover! i can not wait when getting a hair system is not a stressful situation .. thankfully i think i have got enough new lace systems to last me until 2022.. :)

Robrover

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not much help for lace full cap wearers. The industry will recover when the border with NK reopens and the factories get back to production again.

Fortunately I have enough stock to last me 2 years or more. Always have spare back ups and learn how to cut and join old used lace pieces to prolong their use. You can even make a full cap using two toppers if you're niffty enough with a razor and sewing thread.

Now what will happen to the industry if there's ever a war with China?