Torn poly perimeter - big deal or no?

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve had this same mono lace with poly perimeter unit for about 4 months now and in the last 2 weeks I have torn the poly rim several times. You can tell it’s deteriorating because as you pull the tape up now you can see the the poly thinness stretch.

I have attached pictures to see, but was wondering how big of a deal it is. I have reattached it to my head as I want to wear it out as long as possible but will it have any effects in longevity? You can see the big chunk that tore off.

F8E1C030-AC1E-441F-A766-79670B4884B5.jpeg
F72603D2-1170-4DC4-8506-3D129A8DD980.jpeg
E825C465-98ED-4DC7-A5A7-2A9114370791.jpeg

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
We fix tears that this with a layer of super-thin lace front tape with a layer of 3M Transpore surgical tape on top of it.

Noah

Reaction score
That's a pretty heavy-duty mono base, JMC. Is that a deliberate preference? Have you tried one of the lighter lace bases?

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's a pretty heavy-duty mono base, JMC. Is that a deliberate preference? Have you tried one of the lighter lace bases?
Hey Noah, this is Josh who has been emailing you. I changed my username a long time back for confidentiality.

If you remember this base was given to me after my first disastrous piece went to craps in no time. The salon replaced it free of charge with this unit and at the time I had no idea between the different bases other than I knew from my first unit that I didn’t want poly again.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Out of interest, can you expose your hairline with this base? Or is the poly too thick and hence visible at the hairline?

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I expose my hairline and feel fairly confident with it. I will tell you that I’ve tried nearly every tape at the front out of ease and the 3mil tape is going to be the best options but honestly with as difficult as it is to work with you are better off just using glue. I’ve just recently trying Ghostbond at the front and so far it’s going well.

I would should you my hairline with the Ghostbond, but I didn’t realize until this morning that there was still a white line from the marks I made last night when redoing everything. I’ll clean it up tonight and send a picture.

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use to get so wrapped up in feeling like the hairline had to be absolutely invisible to me but the more I wear, the more I realize that unless you are a wearer yourself you don’t notice these types of things. I work for a bank and I have clients a lot throughout the day that I’m meeting with and not once have I felt like they had any idea I was wearing. Don’t get me wrong, I would love a flawless hairline and it be completely undetectable but at the end of the day that’s only to please me because I can tell you others have no clue!

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
the tears in the poly can just be taped over, but the 3rd picture has a chunk missing, meaning you would have a bald spot...if the surrounding hair is long enough , you may be able to wear..., if they is bald spot, and you are waiting for you new piece to come in, use a retired piece and cut out a piece...i have done so in the past, always a use for an old piece you though was of no use anymore..;)

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Out of interest, can you expose your hairline with this base? Or is the poly too thick and hence visible at the hairline?
Hey Deg I wanted to send you a few pics of how I have my hair today. I used a clear glue last night on my hairline. The hairpiece is getting pretty dingy now and starting to really shed a lot but I’m still using it. Disregard my styling I’m actually sitting in my car waiting to be COVID tested so I didn’t have much energy to mess with my hair I think everyone on this board can absolutely pick apart my hairline. It by no means is even close to being perfect especially with this type of base, but I just wanted to show you that I don’t think to the average person you can really tell. With the techniques a lot of you experienced wearers have learned I am sure you can make it look 1000 times better. Like I said earlier, I’ve not had a single person ask me and I can assure you it’s not because they are scared to ask. I deal with a lot of blunt people who don’t mind asking. I think if you can’t find the base you typically use to don’t be afraid to try a mono base it honestly has not been the worst thing in the world and I’m a complete newbie to this and have only had a poly base and I wore an all lace base for about a week until I took it off because I needed to trim the base more and then ended up ruining it by dying it too dark.

62E43881-BE51-4812-AAD4-4F4830489D1C.jpeg

F4E23921-6AAE-465C-888A-F527B7A3B5BB.jpeg

Attachments

• 72A8EC96-9152-4DF1-A079-24DAB3CC7CA2.jpeg
    72A8EC96-9152-4DF1-A079-24DAB3CC7CA2.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 93