toppk

jfrank

Established Member
Reaction score
hey, of those of you who apply toppik occasionally.. do you wash it out before you put on rogaine before bedtime? or do you just place it over the toppik.. also, does it damage the hairi in any way??

btw, it works very well to cover up thinning areas

VWdude

Reaction score
I would never use toppik, because if i do i know its something that i'll never get off. and when i do not wear it i'll look at myself and feel shitty because it will look thin.

Hairport

Reaction score
VWdude said:
I would never use toppik, because if i do i know its something that i'll never get off. and when i do not wear it i'll look at myself and feel shitty because it will look thin.
I don't think he was asking your opinion on Toppik a**h**. :D j/k

JFrank:

I use Toppik and I wash it out before applying Xandrox. I feel that the toppik would absorb and waste some of the solution.

I don't see any reason as to why Toppik would damage your hair, nor have I ever heard of anything suggesting this.

jfrank

Established Member
Reaction score
so no damage is occured if toppik is used more frequently? I use it only once/twice a week... i dont wash it off at night, but apply rogaine on top..

Petchsky

Reaction score
Nope...Toppik does zero damage. Though it is annoying when you scratch your head and get it under your finger nails. Been using more than usual.

stylesp

Reaction score
toppik? blocker

So if your hair has pores and needs them to survive. Wouldnt a lodgical deduction be that toppik is blocking them and your hair has a lesser of a chance to grow? Just a thought but it sounds like it would decrease productivity while forcing those who like it to constantly use it.

This is just an opinion and not a medical statement! I am not a doctor and have no medical background except the research that I have done.

Snow777

Reaction score
Re: toppik? blocker

stylesp said:
So if your hair has pores and needs them to survive. Wouldnt a lodgical deduction be that toppik is blocking them and your hair has a lesser of a chance to grow? Just a thought but it sounds like it would decrease productivity while forcing those who like it to constantly use it.

This is just an opinion and not a medical statement! I am not a doctor and have no medical background except the research that I have done.
I too want to know what the results of others with this product has been... but even just a little reading about it, I know that it isn't a product that would cause a problem with the pores as it attaches to the hair shafts and not the scalp. It just makes each hair appear fuller by making them fuzzy.

Shinyscalp23

Established Member
Reaction score
toppik is an awesome product...but its a crutch..i wont leave the house nowadays without it on...i suggest you use prescription minoxidil 5% with retin-a instead of the over the counter type not only because its more effective but also because it dries in like 5 to 10 minutes whereas regular minoxidil 5% is greasy and takes hours to dry (in my own experience). You dont have to order it online--a dermatologist in your area can even prescribe it to you( mine does). The reason I also bring this up is because toppik has to go on a dry head with dry hair otherwise its a mess and you have to shampoo and start over..less is more-you wanna make it look natural and in the front apply a very minimal amount about half an inch away from your hairline,then blend it. It probably does clog your pores alittle but the effect of this is probably minimal next to null..and if you use only a little bit, then you have nothign to worry about. Ideally, youre supposed to only apply it to your hair but some does get on your scalp-it conceals both the scalp and the hair...i apply toppik alittle differently nowadays and i suggest this to everyone...instead of shaking it all over your head..shake a little bit out at a time on the palm of your hand or your finger tips depending on the size of the spot your covering up and then pat your hand down on your hair and continue doing that until you get the desired result..instead of using it like a salt shaker on your head..and let some scalp show...the biggest give away is when you cant even see the persons scalp....u dont wanna look like ink head--toppik is a great concealer but it is by far, far from perfect...always remember your umbrella and if youre goign to the beach or its gonna pour all day you may wanna spare yourself the trouble and just wear a hat-or show your real head of hair to everyone else-i suggest a light hold hair spray as opposed to the toppik hairspray as well simply because you wanna avoid that stiff ,too perfect hairpiece look..and only apply enough hair spray to hold the fibers in...u dont have to go overboard like i did in the beginning--they will stay there...the toppik wont damage your hair, the hairspray will if its too strong

BMORE39

Reaction score
I'm still not convinced that it doesn't retard hair growth somewhat. It definently gets on your scalp and may well clog pores. My hair loss in areas that I have applied Toppik on a daily basis appear to be worsening. In fact, my hairline is doing OK, since I can't apply Toppik there and have it look natural...I'm trying to wean myself off of it.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
I used to use toppik and loved it. It was a life saver, however I no longer need it at all. My hair has improved that much.

Shinyscalp23

Established Member
Reaction score
you know you may be on to something--lol--it may make our hair loss worse...hence developing our further desire to buy their product...i no longer need to use toppik---my balding area has shrunk enough that i consider what people to see a tolerable degree of hair loss--and my hair loss has been at its worse this year--5 months ago i was worried i wouldnt even have enough hair at this present time to use toppik--this year was also the year i discovered toppik-...put 2 and 2 together--hair loss at its worst this year+ toppik....and i bet once you dont have enough hair left for toppik, thats when spencer forrest recommends the use of couvre and toppik combined--its all a money making business---now--thats just my conspiracy theory ofcourse lol--but who the hell knows i may be right....now i have a small balding area-granted doesnt look good on any 24 year old..but its small enough for me to be happy given how awful it was just a couple months ago--its still awful just not as much(heres this for weird--im having more success at the hair line than at the back too).....now you may think im off topic(no pun intended LOL) but i noticed that my hair regrowth-growth-whatever you may want to call it...started to improve when i stopped using toppik 3 months ago...it does look good but its a pain in the *** really you always have to worry about the rain or someone brushing up against your head and so forth-a real pain in the ***--(i went on a family vacation-it poured the whole time--every second i was annoying my family askign if they saw any drips and so on and pretty much destroyed the vacation-becoming a slave to toppik--)I basically stopped toppik not because i thought it was making my hair loss worse, just because it was a royal pain in the *** and sooner or later whoever is attracted to me is gonna find out that i put powder on my head and whoever that person may end up being--well if they no longer liked me because they saw i was balding, then i obviously wouldnt want them in my life to begin with...on another note, my mom had once made a comment to me---saying that maybe the toppik was making it worse...and in retrospect she mightve been right--as much of a pro toppik guy ive been---since im young and there are no formalities at my job--ive been bleaching my hair every few weeks(which causes sheddign breakage and isnt great for your hair either) to disguise my balding spot...and to be honest with you-as harsh as the bleach is on my scalp and fried hair, id recommend it to any young man or any aged woman over toppik if your circumstances (job age and so on) permit it...in the end i think its less damaging to your hair--the constant use of hair spray and that black powder all over your hair and scalp plus the drying minoxidil really puts your hair in bad shape...further more i dont care what they say--we all know it goes on the scalp AND the hair--it doesnt just stick to the hair itself--and that cant be good for minoxidil absorption-anyways with all the bleachign ive done to my hair lately...my balding spot has greatly shrunk and i think its due to the fact that i gave up on toppik...constantly havign to wash that crap out of your hair...and not allowing the greatest possible absorption rate for minoxidil in the end sets you back--even if it cosmetically does a good job, the constant washing of that crap out of your hair leads to further hair loss--yes i know those hairs in the shower wouldve fallen out anyway--but their fall out mightve been facilitated by your hair being dried out from the hairspray and powder--and i honestly cant see how it couldnt clog pores--i mena when you shower it out it doesnt always come out that easily..you may have alil stuck here and there..and so on..and truthfully...if youre just beginning minoxidil and or retin-a--you get massive dandruff and the toppik and dandruff combined make for a lovely, obvious ink head--so after all said and done--guys, id rather go for the thin looking hair for the time being---so your cosmetically satisfying results from the meds can be facilitated--anyways i think my moderate results from minoxidil/retin-a at month 5 and discontinuation of toppik 3 months ago are no coincidence

vayder

Reaction score
im about to say f*** toppick and put a down payment on a transplant..since now toppick is really becoming a huge part nevermind annoying part of my daily routine,,,

CDog0613

Reaction score
I remember reading this thread some months ago. At the time, I had only recently started uisng Toppik and wanted to wait a while to see my progress with hair growth in conjuction with minoxidil. Well, today, after about 6 months of consistent toppik and minoxidil use, I can confidently say that Toppik has not stunted any growth or "clogged" any pores to prevent absorption by minoxidil.

Over the past few weeks, I have noticed some good growth in the vertex region--a region that I CONSTANTLY have poured toppik onto at least once a day. Now, I will admit that Toppik is by no means a perfect product: it leaves a mess in the bathroom, it gets all over linens, and if you're not careful with it when applying, it can "paint" your scalp, making it somewha noticeable.

That all aside, Toppik has been a wonderful product for me for all the positives that you guys have read about. My regime usally consists of the following: take one capsule of Dutas Dustasteride; morning shower; apply Dr. lee's quick dry minoxidil; wait 15 minutes; apply spironolactone to hairline; get dressed/ready for work/day; apply toppik (somtimes using the 10 dollar maximizer they sell to help get a better look); come back from work/gym/wherever; take shower to wash out toppik; apply Dr. lee's quick dry minoxidil and spironolactone; get up and do the same thing.

Now, obviously, there are plenty of days where I have to break my routine--sometimes significantly (the past several weeks for example). there are many times where I just apply minoxidil to my scalp with the toppik still fully on--I've even gone to bed this way.

Why am I saying all this? Because my results this past week have shown, to me at least, that toppik is NOT preventative in hair growth. Is it a crutch? ABSOLUTELY. Do I anticipate relying on this product or any other concealer forever? No Freaking way. I guess the bottom line for me is to build up a solid base of hair growth (which seems to be happening) and start decreasing the amount of Toppik I use over time. Then, hopefully, over the next few years, something comes along that will end my reliance on all these products forever. (the latest update at the intercytex web site is VERY promising.)