Toppik right for me?

dropandhop

Reaction score
Hi,

I was hoping that someone could give me some feedback regarding Toppik.

Here is some of my background:
- I think I am about a norwood 6
- My normal hair color is a very dark brown.
- However, where I don't have my normal hair I have blond peach peach fuzz hair (although I do have a few odd and end normal, dark colored hairs in the bald area).
- I shave my head with a buzzer, however I don't use a clip on the unit...so it is as low as it can go with the buzzer.

Knowing this, do you think Toppik will stick to my blond peach fuzz hair? And look somewhat real?
could I have issues with Toppik sticking to my scalp and looking really bad?

Any feedback you have is really appreciated.

Thanks much,
a

LeesHair

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

If you shave your head that tight then nothing will look natural, scalp colorants will, obviously look fake, and whilst Toppik style products to bind to very short hair, they also some longer hair to bind to to look natural, you need i'd say a grade 2 at least? I'm a grade 3 or 4 (where I have hair!) and use Nanogen (like Toppik) but when my hair was very very short ie shaved it didn't work so well, let your hair grow for a couple of weeks then give it a go.

As far as products go, Toppik and Nanogen are very similar, a lot of people who have tried both slightly prefer Nanogen, but both seem to do a good job and both get lots of satisfied people on the forums.

Hope that helps!

dropandhop

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your reply.
I actually haven't heard of Nanogen. So thanks for offering that up.

A few remaining questions....

1. Do you find the locking mist helpful?

2. I was interested in sampling Toppik and seeing if it right for me especially since they had a small travel size that is cheap- $6.50 (on their site).

It looks like Nanogen's cheapest/smallest size is $24.95 (on their site).

Do you happen to know of a place that I could get Nanogen's product cheaper? I can order online or I live in New York City.

3. I'm still not sure if this product is for me since I like to cut my hair shorter. So I may want to cheap out and get the Toppik small amount. Do you think I will notice a considerable difference between the two products with short hair (I'll try to grow it out to at least level 2 as you say!)?

Thanks again,
a

s.a.f

Reaction score
If you are really a NW6 ie bald then toppic wont work, unfortunatley its a case of the more hair the better and also imo you need a minimum length of say an inch, I dont think that peach fuzz type hair is going to be big enough for it to actually stick to. It sounds to me like you'll end up with a bad maess on your head that will be easily detechted. - Sorry :(

dropandhop

Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of.

I'll let my hair grow and and give it a shot. See what happens.

Anyone know where to get Toppik or Nanogen in New York City?

Thanks again,
a

LeesHair

Established Member
Reaction score
Definitely have to have some hair, no concealant works without about an inch of hair!

I'm in the UK so no clue, you may not be able to get Nanogen as cheaply as it's made in the UK, Toppik is the main US company so go with them, they must sell in New York, try their homepage and give them a ring?

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and am looking for something to help add "hair" to my thinning areas. I've been considering products like Toppik, megathick, and hair cubed. Any advice anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. My hair loss is about a 4 or 5 on the Norwood scale.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Just read up on this section all the info can be found on here.

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
I've read several threads but still have a few questions.
After using Toppik for the first time just today, I found that it works great on the crown, but getting the hairline right proved difficult. When I applied it to the front of my head, a lot of it settled on my scalp and was obvious. I have as much hair in front as in back, so I'm not sure what I did wrong. Does anyone have a suggestion about applying it correctly to the hairline?

amsch

Reaction score
s.a.f., i have a question for you. Is it possible that toppik is always WAY darker than the color should be? My medium brown is almost black, lol.

s.a.f

Reaction score
I dont use Toppik I use nanogen which is a different brand but pretty much the same thing. There seem to be plenty of complaints about Toppik.

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
What complaints are people having about Toppik and how is Nanogen better?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Toppik users have complained about it looking blueish and having their sweat turn green and it being obvious under ultraviolet light.
I have'nt encountered any of these problems with Nanogen.

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
I guess I'll have to experiment with different concealers to see what works best. I still can't figure out how to apply it to my hairline. I have to rub it off because so much of it lands on my scalp. I love not having my bald spot shining for the world to see, though. When I look at the back of my head in a mirror, it's hard for me to believe what I'm seeing. It looks like I have full coverage in back.

s.a.f

Reaction score
The thing to remember is always use a small amount, go for improvement rather than perfection.

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I already learned my lesson about that.
Too much of this stuff will make it look like you've got a damn chia pet on your head. It covers up my bald spot nicely, though.

LeesHair

Established Member
Reaction score
Toppik and Nanogen aren't that different, having used both I'd say that Nanogen just looks that little bit better, but you're right application is everything, so get practicing!

Also as s.a.f. said there have been quite a few quality issues reported with Toppik, the ones I got were ok though.

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty much thrilled with it so far.
It works better than I ever hoped.
I might try nanogen next time, but the 25 milligram bottle of Toppik I have will probably last over a month if I play my cards right.
I'd love to hear some reviews on megathick, though.