TOppik reveiw

Aedan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey I decided to try toppik..... at 21 years of age, was hoping I wouldnt do that so soon but ahhh welll....

Anyway the first time I used it I was just at home, wanted to sort of figure out what it was like before I'd chance it in public. I was very impressed. What i did was I applied it over my head... (entire head seems to be f*****g thinning now as well as receeding hairline) and and sort of spread it around with my hands, I then fixed it all using the toppik fixing spray (which actually is a good stand alone styling spray as it's so light). I liked how it looked. I looked pretty badass with my thicker top hair and shaved sides lol...

I was then one night invited to a club... woohoo... toppik time. It's kinda sad but it made me realise how much my hair atm is affecting my confidence, i applied the toppik... went out to club with friends and girls, felt so good and had loads of confidence and for once did not feel self conscience! I forgot how it felt. when i went to toilets for piss and glanced at my reflection the hair for once looked good! (sure my hair was very short... WHICH if i wasn't balding would have probably annoyed me as i used to hate short hair but for now I was rockin the short look well and hiding my hairloss..).

So yeah had a great night, then went out again the next week, HAD to apply toppik.

I'm now also using it sometimes to simply go to uni. Oh dear.

This is bad as I feel i'm getting addicted, my normal hair isnt just doing it anymore. God help me. So yes, all in all Toppik - If you have quite some hair already it's great.

Only one downside though, some of it does fall to the scalp, if i put too much on i have to clean up the hairline with tissue as it looks like dirt is on my skin. Also, don't scratch your head... you'l get dirty fingernails lol.

my girlfriend of 7 months broke up with me recently, in her words she didn't find me attractive anymore... this was probably a mix of the hair AND how i acted because of it (I never actually told her about it though).
Was rather heartbroke and still am over it but it was great to feel good about myself again and have girls dance with me and all that in the club.

I know this can't last tho.... how, realistically can you use a concealer everyday? I don't want to do this but it's like a drug, I am beginning to need it, Definitly when i go out to a social gathering it seems.

peapoddy

Established Member
Reaction score
Mate I was exactly like you and relied on concealers most of time. It does give you a great confidence boost but not only that you do become dependant on the stuff, and it's a real pain if you go away on holiday with friends . It's such a burden to have to worry about going swimming and getting busted!People don't realize how stressful hairloss is on some people!

Fortunatly for me I responded very well to the big 3 treatments and I know longer have to use concealers!Maybe you should give propecia/ finasteride and minoxidil a go!You sound like you still have a fair amount of hair still ,so now is the best time to start!

Check out my thread In the success story section if you want inspiration to start...good luck!

wi11iam

Reaction score
Hey dude, good to hear you have some more confidence about your looks! Like peapoddy said it might be a good idea to start on the Big3 or even just minoxidil, so you may eventually be able to lose the toppik and still feel awesome :punk:

And dont feel bad about using it...the amount of make-up girls use and other hair products guys use nowadays, its hard to tell its the same person without all the crap on their heads/faces :dunno:

Aedan

Established Member
Reaction score
hey man cheers for reply, I am on minoxidil and trying some experimental treatments such as ACV and megatek shampoo, not sure if these are effective, I been fightign hairloss for over 2 years now.. slow downhill battle.

finasteride is something I've just decided not to go on, I just think too much about it. like if i don't get side effects to begin with, whats it doing to me long term, or if i stop when im older what will happen.. etc. and i have toyed with the idea for over a year. I'm not "scared" or a "pussy" I just don't like the idea of it that is all.

s.a.f

Reaction score
You need to address the source of your problem first because if you keep losing hair then pretty soon even concealers wont be effective. The fact is finasteride is about the only thing that will good you a good chance of maintaing nothing else is anywhere near as effective.
Post some pics of how your hair looks now.

sterling9000

Reaction score
I have used these concealer products for over 10 years and they work fairly well for me. Toppik isnt perfect with the issue of having it rub off on the pillow, the fibers fall into your face or on your shoulders and I'm petrified to have anyone touch my hair. It's just a choice..do you want to hide it or do you want to be thinning and proud? Hiding it is definitely a pain in the *** cause Toppik doesnt always look that natural but it is about he best out there.

It's easy to apply every day ..you just wash it out at night and put in on in the morning. I would check under the brightest lights possible to ensure you color matches as well. My hair looked good at home then I saw myself in a mirror in a store and was shocked that the color of the toppik was contrasting with my hair and looked like crap.

Definitely stay with the topicals or Finesteride..your best is to stop all future shedding. I wish I had done that instead of relying on hair transplants of which I have had 5 and still need to use concealers.

sterling9000

Reaction score
finfighter..Great having a look at that guide..it cleared some things up. I was just discovering and starting to look into RU so that was a great help.

klink2

Reaction score
I've never ever tried a concealer before in the last ten years of my hair loss remedies.

After watching a ton of Toppik videos on YouTube (posted by DermaMedical aka Toppik Greece), I think I'm ready to try it.

As long as I don't talk myself out of it, I will order some tomorrow and give it a shot.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Its not like you're deciding to have a hair transplant just try it at home and wash it out if you dont like.
Just remember the golden rule: Less is more, you're going for a slight improvement not trying to get ultimate density.

klink2

Reaction score
I appreciate the advice. Yeah as I watched the vids, some of the areas that were sprayed were huge. I think I can keep it to the less side of the equation. Now to see if I can get the wife to help me pick between black and dark brown. :)

s.a.f

Reaction score
Always go for a lighter shade.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Most products usually are on the darker side ie dark brown toppik/nanogen looks like black, light brown looks like medium brown ect. I found a colour too dark is more noticible than a colour too light when its on your head.

Aedan

Established Member
Reaction score
I got really lucky with mine... medium brown... seems to be actually designed for my hair, identical colour lol.

Johnx

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried HairMax Fibers? (http://hairmaxestore.com/index.php/hair-fibers.html)
I'm now using Toppik Medium Brown, and it matches my hair color really well, I was wondering if HairMax's color is the same... (I'm ordering Rogaine foam from biovea.net and it would be more convenient to order Rogaine and Fibers in one shot, but they only have HairMax...)

Btw, how long the "bottle" of fibers last you, and how many times per week do you use it? (let's say 10g, or 25g)

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Not used that no, but the stuff is going to be the same as a lot of the others, some good, some bad.

With regards to how long it lasts, it's entirely up to your loss that will dictate how much you will go through. The small bottles don't last more than a month, unless you have very little hairloss

Aedan

Established Member
Reaction score
at the moment man i'm being able to last with a small bottle well over a month... i'm using it maybe 3 times a week tho, 4 sometimes.... and i try my best not too put too much on... for now lol.

dannyboyuk

Reaction score
help!

ive been trying to apply the toppik. im only balding in the frontal areas of my hair.... any my temples are receeding too.

(Im not looking to bring my hairline forward) just fill in the thinning area on top of my scalp.

Im sure Ive got plenty of hair left in this area for toppik to be applied.

however... I'm finding that it just falls straight to my scalp and clumps. making my hair look grubby.

I thought it would just stick to my hairs and thicken them.

maybe im putting too much on. but otherwise - it just doesnt sem to thicken my hair up at all.

has anyone got ANY tips for application that might make it work a bit better.

s.a.f

Reaction score

sterling9000

Reaction score
You are likely putting it on too thick. This stuff takes a bit of trial and error and you might have to go thru several products to find the best one with regard to your color match. Make sure you use plenty of the lock they sell or hair spray but dont spray it point blank on your hair. That can make the fibers clump.

They all seem to be a little different with regard to the fiber color. I just tried 20 Second Hair and the color is perfect for me and it looks freaking unbelievable compared to Toppik which I used for years. I think everyone is different so just find what works for you. Also you might try one of the new spray applicators..This new product has one and it applies alot less thick than the shaker thing so that may be a simple solution as well.

BaranbtJones

Reaction score
I have my own way of applying Toppik, that I am not sure many others use. I also use the black toppik.

I have jet black hair on the sides and without toppik the hair on top of my head looks dark to light brown.

I am also a diffuse thinner, with one inch hair on sides and back and 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inch hair on top. I cut my own hair (my dad is a hairstylist, and taught me, so I am not so bad at it), and style it in a way that is a bit concealing (hair on sides gravitating towards middle and spikey in front), however, with no hair stretching long enough to be called a combover.

1) I apply toppik as liberally as possible.

2) I finger comb it all throughout my hair.

3) I take a warm shower, with no shampoo in hair, rinse for like 5 mins usually.

Done.

I don't know if this works for anyone else, but it makes the conceal job look more natural for me, especially at the hairline. It also makes it look like not enough of a extreme difference so people aren't questioning me about it (Makes my remaining hair look twice as thick, but doesn't make it look like I have "more hair" than before). Even better, I can touch my hair and allow others to touch it, even when sweaty, and they don't get the black glitter or lint on their fingers.

My previous method was to sprinkle it on my fingers and apply it without touching my scalp. This method had a great natural look too, but I had to literally dodge people when they tried to rub my hair or touch it...

I am sort of suggesting trying both ways, cause the original spray or shake n' go methods made toppik clump on my scalp, creating a ghastly shitty look. Unless I went for full coverage, which just made people question me about having a combover or hairpeice (neither of which I do).