Toppik for the win

yukoncornelius

Reaction score
So my order of toppik and couvre came in today... Since my hair was already styled I decided to try the toppik. Unlike some of the people on here who only have mildly receding hair line, I have pretty diffused hair loss on top, but I still have a decent amount in front where I can look ok after blowdrying my hair to add volume and lift and then hairspray. I honestly can't believe my eyes, granted my bathroom light isn't that bright but omg, I've never seen my hair look this thick... its seriously amazing. I accidentally put some too close to my hair line, and it didnt look too natural so i had to wet it off. It actually looks like little hair sprouts if it falls to your scalp. I can't wait to try the couvre after I get out of the shower some time in the next couple days, and combine that with the toppik!

I am so glad I finally decided to give it a try. Man am I happy right now!!!!! hahahah its like miracle makeup for men (even though women can use it too).

chr1s

Established Member
Reaction score
Toppik is great!... Get the Toppik SPRAY MAXIMIZER!! It is a MUST for the hairline!! That is my only prob area and the only thing I use toppik for, I couldn't imagine using that product without the spray maximizer, it's the best thing since sliced bread lol.

yukoncornelius

Reaction score
So today I woke up (after having my hair styled with toppik from yesterday), went to a group meeting... wearing a hat, anyways I went out later in the night didn't take a shower, didn't have to do my hair or anything (other than playing with it with my fingers and hairspraying). Point of the story? This would be TOTALLY impossible to do without the toppik still in my hair. There is no way I can wear a hat with my normal hair, and it still be fine for me to go out later in the night without a hat on. And I haven't even tried couvre yet... :) :) :)

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Mm. I'm seriously interested in a concealer. I only need a little for the crown, to help disguise a diffused one inch spot, though I wouldn't mind a little extra body in the vertex as a bonus. Do you think Toppik would be OK for that?

yukoncornelius

Reaction score
Toppik will work, but actually... couvre or dermatch is probably better suited for that. Toppik is more for applying to thinned spots on your head where the fibers can fall onto your existing hair to make it look thicker.

By the way, I've made the ultimate decision to shave my head when I graduate this year. I'm done worrying about my hair, I'm destined to be bald (heredity), and I'm tired of taking propecia (even though it has helped me). I'm ready to embrace my baldness and say screw it. You're either stuck with anxiety, or you face the facts, at least for people with my loss.

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'd think carefully about shaving it. I tried it last summer and found I just looked like a concentration camp inmate. If you have a certain head shape, and skin tone it can be great, but unfortunately I don't have them.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

jj_24

Established Member
Reaction score
Are you referring to the Toppik Fiber Hold Spray? when you say the spray maximizer? I havent been able to find that anywhere.

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
chr1s said:
Toppik is great!... Get the Toppik SPRAY MAXIMIZER!! It is a MUST for the hairline!! That is my only prob area and the only thing I use toppik for, I couldn't imagine using that product without the spray maximizer, it's the best thing since sliced bread lol.

Is Toppik the only concealer you use now? The front of my hair is my main problem area too and I'm still intruiged by these 'fibres'. Does the spray maximizer stop them from falling out?

I_Hate_DHT

Established Member
Reaction score
chr1s said:

Ineteresting man.. I just opened a thread asking the SPRAY MAXIMIZER.

Because I have the same problem, applying it in hairline by shaking it sucks, and it's hard. The rest of the head is ok by shaking it.

I think i'm gonna give that SPRAY MAXIMIZER a try.

Thanks.

I_Hate_DHT

Established Member
Reaction score
UK78 said:
chr1s said:

Is Toppik the only concealer you use now? The front of my hair is my main problem area too and I'm still intruiged by these 'fibres'. Does the spray maximizer stop them from falling out?

Man I think you are confusing the SPRAY MAXIMIZER with the Fiber Hold Spray. I know it is confusing. The Fiber hold spray is what stops them from falling out. Cheers.

I_Hate_DHT

Established Member
Reaction score

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I_Hate_DHT said:
UK78 said:
chr1s said:

Man I think you are confusing the SPRAY MAXIMIZER with the Fiber Hold Spray. I know it is confusing. The Fiber hold spray is what stops them from falling out. Cheers.

Ah ok, and the maximizer sprays the fibres onto the hairline more efficiently than shaking them on does? Do you use the holding spray too?

I_Hate_DHT

Established Member
Reaction score
UK78 said:
I_Hate_DHT said:
UK78 said:
chr1s said:

Ah ok, and the maximizer sprays the fibres onto the hairline more efficiently than shaking them on does? Do you use the holding spray too?

That's what I want to know.. Apparently it does.. I asked that question but I've got no answer so far..

I used the Holding Spray in the past when I had short hair and it worked great. Now I have long hair and I don't need it anymore. Fibers stay there with long hair.

chr1s

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes guys I_HATE_DHT is right.. I'm talking about the SPRAY MAXIMIZER.. not the holding spray..

To my knowledge the holding spray is not specifically made for the hairline.. I can picture that being sticky and getting all over your forhead making it difficult to spray onto the hairline. I also dont think it's anything different than a regular hair spray. I use gel/pomade in my hair so when I use the SPRAY MAXIMIZER to spray the fibers into my hair they automatically stick in place anyway and don't fall off. Therefore I don't need any other sprays or whatever else they sell.

I did however get the hairline comb for the hell of it which is a little piece of cardboard with sticks comming out that I have yet to try but don't think will make much of a difference.

And yes UK78 Toppik with the Spray Maximizer is the only thing I have been using to conceal the front for the past year and a half and it's been doing a great hassel free quick and ez job. No one has ever noticed anything nor do they realize that I am thinning a tad. However, I did recently add a concealer invention of mine that you can check on this thread http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?t=34499. I do own Dermatch which I haven't mastered yet unfortunatly and Couvre which I use on days i expect to get sort of wet. Although Toppik does handle light to medium rain very well. Til this day I have never had Toppik smudge onto my forehead because of the rain and I hope that day never comes *crosses fingers*.

poochy

Reaction score
what would happen if I applied toppik lets say in the morning and then later on in the day I sprayed water on my hair and combed it, would it turn out to be a big mess and have a bad effect on the toppik fibers?

chr1s

Established Member
Reaction score
You would have to try.. it depends how you comb it and where you sprayed it and how much toppik you used. I generally like to spray *into the hair* close to the roots so it falls on both the scalp and the lower part of the hair.

I can tell you this tho...

I have that "spikey look".. and I use toppik, slept over peoples houses and the next day all I do is "wet" my hair just a little bit (since i didn't wash the pomade off) and my hairstyle is back to normal with my toppik and pomade still in my hair just like the day before.

Be a little bit realistic, if you are going to drench your hair in water the same day and restyle your hair, you might as well reapply toppik as well. If you expect the toppik to stay, be very moderate with the water. If you are however gonna use a "water spray" you should be ok.

indie85

Established Member
Reaction score
This toppik stuff looks interesting. Im about to start a regime of 1mg finasteride and 5% min two times a day. Would applying this toppik stuff interfere with their action? I mean it shouldnt interfere with finasteride i guess, but possibly wih min? and also it just seems not something your hair would like that much...

RaginDemon

Reaction score
gotta give it a try!

rhafu27

Reaction score
does anyone know if this stuff is availible to buy at retail stores? I don't want to buy online.