Topical Rapamycin, Autophagy (seven Words)

dgadgdea

My Regimen
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with applying topical rapamycin?

I have some rapamycin powder and want to try applying topically as part of my regimen. I'm not what sure would be an appropriate concentration or dosage schedule however.

This study is what gave me the idea:
https://www.cell.com/cell-reports/pdfExtended/S2211-1247(19)30699-0

This is how they describe the treatment, granted it is a mouse study:

rapa.png

My ignorance speaking but any idea how the above would translate into topical solution? Maybe something like 0.1% ? Dosing is further complicated by the apparent negative effects from doing too much or too frequently with rapamycin. I think consensus among people taking rapamycin orally is something like ~5mg one time per week.

The study is pretty interesting in that it explores the role of autophagy in hair growth. It seems promising in triggering telogen hairs into anagen but less clear what if any effects autophagy has on dormant/miniaturizing hair cells.

auto.png

Reaction score
Not rapamycin, but I have started using alpha ketoglutarate on my temples. It's the other autophogy inducing metabolite mentioned. I have no idea if it will work , but it was already in liquid form, so figured what the hell. Nothing to report yet .

dgadgdea

My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting, is that what they refer to in the study as "a-KG" or "a-KB"? Where did you get it in liquid form?

By my reading the study seems to say "all these molecules induce anagen hair growth" but I wish there was some more comparative analysis between them all. in other words which one works best.

Reaction score
Interesting, is that what they refer to in the study as "a-KG" or "a-KB"? Where did you get it in liquid form?

By my reading the study seems to say "all these molecules induce anagen hair growth" but I wish there was some more comparative analysis between them all. in other words which one works best.

I got mine from Amazon , but this is it. Just using a couple drops on temples . Have no idea what concentration it is .

https://www.simplesanutrition.com/products/akg-liquid-4-oz.html

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
I use rapamycin a-KG and a-KB. The two alpha mixed in a shake daily. It's disgusting. Btw a-KG was burning my finger when I opened the bottle so I can't imagine what it would to my skin daily.

dgadgdea

My Regimen
Reaction score
got it thanks. In the grand scheme of your regimen do you view the autophagy angle with rapamycin/a-KG/a-KB to be a central component or more of an ancillary, "can't hurt" aspect?

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can you post your full regimen? i see many of your posts and it seems like you are on everything lol Any luck?

I am following @pegasus2 regimen. I replaced spironolactone with Bicalutamide and Estriol with Estradiol. I was on CB and still on SM. I continued using TM. I still using Latanoprost but will switch soon to the Dina powder.

I also added Progesterone 200mg and CPA 12.5mg. Things are progressing nicely. Thanks for asking.

polishkickbuttowski

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am following @pegasus2 regimen. I replaced spironolactone with Bicalutamide and Estriol with Estradiol. I was on CB and still on SM. I continued using TM. I still using Latanoprost but will switch soon to the Dina powder.

I also added Progesterone 200mg and CPA 12.5mg. Things are progressing nicely. Thanks for asking.
I'm interested in progesterone for my skin, what does it do for hair?

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
It definitely helps with hair loss. It also helps with water retention from taking minoxidil.

Reaction score

Are you following some type of anti-aging protocol, or is all of that just for hair?

BTW, akg looks to help with hydrogen peroxide buildup in some way, which is the reason hairs go gray (follicles buildup h2o2). Would be nice to kill 2 birds with akg.... Of course we have this whole internal VS topical deal to figure out.

dgadgdea

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm interested in treatments addressing gray hair. I have a sh*tload of it. Any of you guys have research/studies on cause of gray hair or potential reversal? or once it goes gray is it gray forever?

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm interested in treatments addressing gray hair. I have a sh*tload of it. Any of you guys have research/studies on cause of gray hair or potential reversal? or once it goes gray is it gray forever?

I think you are going to need to dye it to get rid of greys but there are supplements like he shou wu which supposedly help reverse gray hair, dunno if it's just nonsense or not though. Coq10 is also supposedly slows down gray hair, won't reverse grays but might help slow it down.

SausageDawg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Any reason for the switch from estriol to estradiol? I thought estriol was the safer version to take and more tissue selective. Was it not effective?

polishkickbuttowski

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jocd.13636
Topical application of autophagy‐activating peptide improved skin barrier function and reduced acne symptoms in acne‐prone skin
Pretty interesting because DHT usually gets all the blame for over producing sebum like it does for hair loss, but the full study talks about how autophagy lowers excessive sebum. I take this as another sign that autophagy is important in hair loss prevention.

Last edited: