Topical Nitric Oxide as a First - in - Class, Local Antiandrogen Therapy

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Again, it is shown that androgens trigger NO synthesis. This leads me to believe that people with Androgenetic Alopecia/male pattern baldness, if DHT is the culprit (which is supported by the fact that finasteride and dutasteride do work), should actually have high NO levels.

On the other hand, applying minoxidil also raises NO levels but is beneficial in treating male pattern baldness... this is just so confusing.

We would really, really need a biotech or chem student or grad. He could analyse scalp dermis and blood of male pattern baldness sufferers for NO levels from a) bald areas, b) balding areas, and c) healthy areas, compare them, and also compare the NO levels to blood of a person without Androgenetic Alopecia/male pattern baldness.

The role of NO is so confusing; we really really need some blood values to draw any conclusions.

The fact that locally applied NO works "antiandrogen" is not very surprising, given that it works as a vasodilator and thus flushes any accumulated DHT away.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
Again, it is shown that androgens trigger NO synthesis. This leads me to believe that people with Androgenetic Alopecia/male pattern baldness, if DHT is the culprit (which is supported by the fact that finasteride and dutasteride do work), should actually have high NO levels.

On the other hand, applying minoxidil also raises NO levels but is beneficial in treating male pattern baldness... this is just so confusing.

We would really, really need a biotech or chem student or grad. He could analyse scalp dermis and blood of male pattern baldness sufferers for NO levels from a) bald areas, b) balding areas, and c) healthy areas, compare them, and also compare the NO levels to blood of a person without Androgenetic Alopecia/male pattern baldness.

The role of NO is so confusing; we really really need some blood values to draw any conclusions.

The fact that locally applied NO works "antiandrogen" is not very surprising, given that it works as a vasodilator and thus flushes any accumulated DHT away.

OK...maybe this will help ---- you DO NOT WANT TO LOWER YOUR NO LEVELS!!! Forget about hair, forget about connecting the dots on this one....NO is good for you!! In fact, it is critical for you!!! Enuff said...

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Will I also tend to believe that NO and NO compounds are of beneficial effect, the whole matter still does not make any sense.
Maybe it is the same as with zinc, iron and copper. Slightly increasing their intake is beneficial, but they are mutual antagonists and thus increasing intakte of one of them too much results in increased hair loss. Maybe with NO it is the same.

Sorry, I am none to just buy "high NO is good for you, straight as that" without any backings. I am trying to connect the dots wherever possible.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
Sorry, I am none to just buy "high NO is good for you, straight as that" without any backings. I am trying to connect the dots wherever possible.

Well, if a scientist winning a Nobel Prize for this isn't good enough...Search Dr. Oz for Nitric Oxide...there is more backing than you can possible read about

benjt

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Oh man... North-Americans and their TV stars. The stuff this "Dr. Oz" says which I found on the net in interview transcripts is as wrong as it can get: the darker the fruit, the higher the NO level - just one example. Another one being the following: "Oz is a supporter of integrative medicine, combining conventional medical treatments with alternative therapies such as hypnosis, prayer, energy healing, and homeopathy.[SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][51][/SUP] Oz's wife, Lisa, is described as a master of Reiki, a form of energy healing."
You really wanna base your decisions on such an idiot?

The scientist who won the Nobel prize did not conclude "raise NO, it increaes health", but that NO being too low is a major cause for heart diseases. Again: NO being too low. Not "the higher your NO levels, the healthier you will be". If your NO levels are okay, there is nothing for you to be gained.

Anyway:
Nitric oxide-induced tocixity and cellular reponse
Material safety data sheet: "Nitric Oxide is a colorless, nonflammable, poisonous, oxidizing gas"
Nitric oxide is cytotoxic
EU classification for NO is "toxic"

In fact, NO as a free radical is battled by green tea and black tea - both of which have, when highly concentrated, beneficial effects for treating hairloss.

Again, just like with zinc and copper, it is a matter of dosage. NO in high doses damages cells. NO being too low causes impaired blood flow. NO needs to be in balance, and not just as high as possible. Whether boosting NO makes sense depends on your diet. Your main source of NO are certain vegetables, which everyone should eat anyway. I guess the huge success of NO in public reception in North America is due to the fact that North American diet is quite low on vegetables.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
Oh man... North-Americans and their TV stars. The stuff this "Dr. Oz" says which I found on the net in interview transcripts is as wrong as it can get: the darker the fruit, the higher the NO level - just one example. Another one being the following: "Oz is a supporter of integrative medicine, combining conventional medical treatments with alternative therapies such as hypnosis, prayer, energy healing, and homeopathy.[SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][51][/SUP] Oz's wife, Lisa, is described as a master of Reiki, a form of energy healing."
You really wanna base your decisions on such an idiot?

The scientist who won the Nobel prize did not conclude "raise NO, it increaes health", but that NO being too low is a major cause for heart diseases. Again: NO being too low. Not "the higher your NO levels, the healthier you will be". If your NO levels are okay, there is nothing for you to be gained.

Anyway:
Nitric oxide-induced tocixity and cellular reponse
Material safety data sheet: "Nitric Oxide is a colorless, nonflammable, poisonous, oxidizing gas"
Nitric oxide is cytotoxic
EU classification for NO is "toxic"

In fact, NO as a free radical is battled by green tea and black tea - both of which have, when highly concentrated, beneficial effects for treating hairloss.

Again, just like with zinc and copper, it is a matter of dosage. NO in high doses damages cells. NO being too low causes impaired blood flow. NO needs to be in balance, and not just as high as possible. Whether boosting NO makes sense depends on your diet. Your main source of NO are certain vegetables, which everyone should eat anyway. I guess the huge success of NO in public reception in North America is due to the fact that North American diet is quite low on vegetables.

good points!